android
Old 03-28-2012, 09:26 PM

Default HTC entering the PMP market?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...d-touch-rival/

sounds like they might be, and if the sound quality is decent I at least might go for it (always been a fan of their phone designs and build quality. One S and One X anyone?)

flop or fly?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrIdiot View Post
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...d-touch-rival/

sounds like they might be, and if the sound quality is decent I at least might go for it (always been a fan of their phone designs and build quality. One S and One X anyone?)

flop or fly?
It will flop,IMO. If the Galaxy 4.0 and 5.0 were considered late to the market, then this thing is really late.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Considering who else HTC has previously associated themselves with
Quote:
Considering HTC's investment in Beats by Dr. Dre technology, it was only a matter of time before we saw this type of device. Moving beyond headphones and an enhanced audio experience, this could help HTC dip its toes into other waters.
I wouldn't be so quick to call the concept an instant fail.

If you had told me that I'd be seeing the number of headphones and laptops I see now with the Beats logo on them 18 months ago and I don't think I would have believed it. If they produce a video centric device with decent hardware, the Beats DSPs and enough memory it might generate enough sales enough to make a go of it. Backing it with the type of ad campaign that made the headphones so popular might attract enough people looking for a Touch alternative to make this viable.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, I guess we shouldn't underestimate what the great unwashed might do....lol.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, Samsung has a history with mp3 players. But as mentioned, the Beats crap will possibly be a big draw for the kids out there. Those are the demographic I mostly see wearing their cans,...the fashion bOObs just copy whatever is in ATM.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:55 AM

I wasn't aware that Beats were "technology", I mostly thought it was just a brand name.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El C View Post
I wasn't aware that Beats were "technology", I mostly thought it was just a brand name.
mostly it just keeps the bass less muddy and more clear (especially on their laptops).

if this thing has a decent EQ the Beats part shouldn't be an issue.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El C View Post
More OEM crap IMO ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

ehh...a new product is a new product. If they stick the beats logo on it and it sells well, maybe it will bring down prices of the competition or show that there is a market for medium to high priced players outside of apple.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:48 PM

Well if it somes with Android, which is almost a sure thing I'm assuming, I would get one if its well designed and rootable. Then I'd just get a music app like Winamp or an EQ app to replace Beats' software. I think I'd give it a shot though, I haven't really experienced the software much, so who knows. Maybe it is crappy, but then again I might like it if I actually give a try.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As they say, we will see.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:21 PM

Hope if it does have android it will be ICS 4.0. I was a little disappointed to find that the new sony walkman Z series only runs gingerbread but has more than enough power and resources to run 4.0.

For anything like this coming out this year ICS is a must since I already see the odd app that requires ics. Well just chrome at the moment but that number is likely to grow

Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 PM

if htc releases one i may consider selling my sony walkman z

Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M34n1ng View Post
Highly doubt that "Beats Audio" is going to sound any better than Sony's S-Master MX.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
Highly doubt that "Beats Audio" is going to sound any better than Sony's S-Master MX.
I doubt it would sound better than even the bottom of the line Sony, for that matter.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I doubt it would sound better than even the bottom of the line Sony, for that matter.
I agree,...it'll kick the snot out of Beats Audio.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I'd think that over before jumping in and if you can test one before hand I'd certainly recommend that route first. Although they may just charge a premium for the name and price themselves out out of the market.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I agree,...it'll kick the snot out of Beats Audio.
I agree but certainly would be funny if the audiofool crowd jumps on their ban wagon ... I remember a certain forum owner talking up the beats and even the latest skullcandy crap.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-06-2012, 03:19 PM

I think beats also certifies hardware like how there use to been Dobly certified devices. They might have their own special DAC's who knows. I probably won't buy it because I plan on getting a Sammy Galaxy S III when they're out so I would have absolutely no need for this device. Hopefully they do well enough with Beats label and introduce more people to Android.

Edit: would this site ever update the PMP section. For example, does Cowon even exist anymore? There was an Iriver device mention recently but it seems like most of the major PMP companies are laying low or just not producing players recently. You would think that there would be some market for sub $200/$150 devices for people who don't want to pay for a smart phone.

Last edited by nathan; 04-06-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:17 AM

It seems now that most people just buy ipod touches because no one wants just an mp3 player anymore except for audiophiles. I think it a few years we will see a massive die off of these small mp3 players in favor for ipod touch and android players and tablets and maybe a few of the more popular small mp3 players like sansa clips may stick around.