android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Off Topic > Random Chat

Old 03-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Only 51% of Americans over 18 are married

"As of 2010, only 51 percent of Americans 18 or older were married, compared with 72 percent in 1960. "

"Today, just a fifth of Americans ages 18 to 29 have a spouse, down from roughly three-fifths in 1960. "

"Roughly four of every 10 Americans told the Pew center in 2010 that they thought matrimony was becoming obsolete. "

"More than half the women under age 30 who give birth in the United States are single."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/richer...203047265.html

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 PM

People just have much more opportunity then 50 yrs ago. I, for example, am studying until I am 23, before I obtain a full-time job (which I have to work as a graduate for several yrs any who), and I am wanting to travel, so I will be about 30 when I start to settle down and get married.

Also, divorce is not so harshly looked upon now, and woman can have children out or wedlock without being shunned by society.

People now will date many people before they settle down, and I know people who don't even date, and just go for the occasional hookup.

Society has changed a lot in the past 50 yrs, and TBH I think it is a good thing.
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 03-15-2012, 09:27 PM

Wow, surprising. But copey's explanation makes sense and I agree with him. . .

So alooooone. *runs away*

Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm NEVER alone,...is that a good thing???

Old 03-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Marriage? Never happening here. Nobody loves me....

Old 03-16-2012, 02:43 AM

marriage needs commitment & responsibility. who looks for something like that in the modern world. a world with so many changes & a fast rhythm.
spending time to built a life for most people is not that simple these days.
for me & everyone I know is near impossible

Old 03-16-2012, 06:45 AM

This statistical crap is just that, crap! It seems to me that it use to be that peeps tried to fix things and in today’s world the way to go is to throughout the old and buy new, the same holds true for relationships. I waited as long as I could before I took the plunge, no regrets here and if things go wrong I’d try to fix them first before throwing in the towel. That said, I’d only do marriage once, if things didn’t work out I’d leave this world the same way I came in … alone

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
"As of 2010, only 51 percent of Americans 18 or older were married, compared with 72 percent in 1960. "
1960, the FDA announced it would approve Enovid 10 mg for contraceptive use

Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 AM

Single with no kids here.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bascom View Post
Single with no kids here.
I wouldn't expect any pm's coming from this group

Old 03-16-2012, 11:31 AM

By marriage are they only considering couples that feel a need to register their relationship with the church? Well that is a whole different topic, personally I think religion is obsolete.

Back to the subject there probably are more single people out there these days and well like copeys said it reflects general changes in society and is not inherently bad IMHO.

A large part of the reason people get together is, whether they care to admit it or not, for mutual gain and protection. Modern society has taken away the all encompassing need to form a bond and stick with it. Without a spouse you could not take care of the children, without children you could not manage retirement. Back in the day people got married because they had to, not necessarily because they wanted to. Men were a necessary evil, these days women can do without (and vice versa of course).

Then there is the whole spoiled for choice things. People are used to getting what they want, they are less inclined to settle on anything, and can keep drifting from one relationship to the next in search of something better. There is no shortage of people unwilling to work to fix a broken relationship and well arguably why would you? Out with the old and in with the new is just as true for toasters as it is for interpersonal relationships.

Anyway, ramblings of a mad man. Disregard.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I might consider marriage if I find a rich woman who wants to marry me. 8-)

Old 03-16-2012, 11:58 AM

Yeah, we are all holding out for that goddess whose father owns a successful brewery.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
By marriage are they only considering couples that feel a need to register their relationship with the church? Well that is a whole different topic, personally I think religion is obsolete.
Sort of, its people with a valid marriage license from their state. So if you get married in a church but don't fill out the paperwork you don't count either.

But yes, you're on the right track. These changes have been accompanied by a large increase in unmarried people living together. So essentially its a lot of people trying out living together longer before marriage, or waiting until they can afford to get married or are out of school, etc as well as people who simply do not want to get married.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:13 PM

OMG!!! talking about marriage in all of these years why in the strangest day of my life someone has to make a thread like this?!
I really need this thread to go on...

Old 03-16-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Sort of, its people with a valid marriage license from their state. So if you get married in a church but don't fill out the paperwork you don't count either. ...
AFAIK without a valid license from county/state no one, including churches will marry you legally ...

Edit: Most places you need to go to the office of vital statistics bureau and apply for a marriage license before you get married by any authority. Although in California if you’ve lived together you can apply for a confidential License where supposedly means there is no public record of your marriage, not sure if this can be done in any other states.

Last edited by WalkGood; 03-16-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Strangest day of your life? Are you getting married soon?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
AFAIK without a valid license from county/state no one, including churches will marry you legally ...
A valid license makes it legal, but pretty much anyone can handle the ceremony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Edit: Most places you need to go to the office of vital statistics bureau and apply for a marriage license before you get married by any authority.
In the US at least, how you get married is up to the individual states, and a lot of them have a huge list of people who can officiate a marriage. For instance, my friend got married in NC, and in that state the guitar player from his band was able to fill out some paperwork and then perform the marriage.

Worst case and you don't have such an individual available, you can just go to the court house the next day and a judge will legalize it. Its not like the states really care how you get married, they just need to make sure they have their internal records correct for purposes of inheritance and taxation, so they try to impose some kind of order on the process to ensure that everyone gets properly recorded.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:05 PM

I wasn't pointing out the how, heck in a lot of states almost anyone can marry you. I was trying to point out that they have a system to keep count regardless if it's a church or hippie that marries you

Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 AM

For some people,marriage isn't really needed and its easier to just stay together without making stuff "too permanent." But as for me,hmmmm truthfully I think love changes overtime,and I couldn't promise to love a person forever and ever therefore I probably wouldn't get married.But I'm just 20 years old,this may change once I'm 30 like it does for most people lol