android
Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 AM

Default Need help finding the right program

I have tons of music files spread across my hard drives in many many different formats, and to top it all off I probably have more duplicates than Minnesota has lakes.

I could really use is a program that will search the hard drives for all music file types, move, organize, consolidate, and properly tag said music files. converting everything to mp3 would be nice too but not totally necessary, just so I can convert freekin I-tunes proprietary format to something Win Media can play.

so sic and tired of searching my drives for that one song by those one guys with the really groovy beat.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks, InnerCoffee

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Step 1...forget Win Media Player

Step 2...look into some of the other media players like Winamp, Media Monkey, and Foobar2000 (sp?). These have the ability to build a Media Library presumably from everywhere in your computer. Please note I have not used this feature, so do not know if their are any issues with using the Media Library features. Note I have used Winamp as a player for what feels like decades.

Steve

Old 04-03-2012, 10:57 AM

i used winamp way back in the day. (it really kicks the lamas ass) if not much has changed I have no problem using it again as long as it also supports some sort of sync to android phones. but the player isnt really the issue here as the mass confusion of music file; locations, types, and duplicates. it would honestly take me months if not years to properly tag, and sort.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCoffee View Post
i used winamp way back in the day. (it really kicks the lamas ass) if not much has changed I have no problem using it again as long as it also supports some sort of sync to android phones. but the player isnt really the issue here as the mass confusion of music file; locations, types, and duplicates. it would honestly take me months if not years to properly tag, and sort.
I'm fairly sure that Winamp will search your hard drive for music formats. Will it handle duplicates? I don't know.

Correcting tags is easier with MP3Tag. But yes it can be a long and painful process to get everything perfect, especially when the files have come from a variety of places.

Steve

Old 04-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Agree w/FreeZ5's point, forget Windows Media Player.

My suggestion for you would be to try MusicBee or foobar2000. Both are excellent media players. MusicBee is a little bit simpler than foobar2000 if you are used to Winamp's interface. MP3Tag is also necessary for perfecting your tags.

Also, if your music is all in lossy formats, then don't do any converting. Keep it as is if you can .

Good luck!

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Last edited by McDougal; 04-03-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Mediamonkey will search out duplicates and give you options what to do with them.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Administrator

MediaMonkey's slowed down a bit for me with 4.x but it's still at the top of the list for I'd use here here. Pulled me out of the same hole a few years ago. I had files, tagged and untagged, in I don't know how many different places. I added the drives where they were to the library, waited for it to analyze them all and went to work.

It identified duplicates and let me eliminate them. The Autotag from the web feature helped me tag the untagged files. It took me a while but once I had it all set I used MM to set a folder/file structure and copied it all to a external drive. The converter, ripper and a few other few other features are limited in the free version. There's still enough active to do the initial organization job.

I've reworked the tags and folder structure with foobar2000 since then but for the first sort and cleanup it would be hard to beat MediaMonkey in my opinion.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

J.River Media Jukebox is about as good as Media Monkey. Just pick your poison. WMP sux, and Winamp drove me cRazY!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Administrator

I never did get J.River Media Jukebox to play nice with files in m4a or mp4 format. I could get them to play but couldn't figure out how to get them to convert.

MediaMonkey won't convert to AAC but it converts from AAC out the box. BTW, AAC files aren't an Apple proprietary format. If they were bought with DRM protection that could be a problem but if they're just iTunes Plus they convert the same as mp3s.

I wouldn't ordinarily convert them due to the quality losses from transcoding. I have done it for use on a portable and the results were usually acceptable. I tested a few quality settings and bitrates and found it was pretty rare that the results weren't good enough for portable listening. I'm not saying someone with better ears or equipment wouldn't have noticed the difference. That's just my experience.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:45 AM

thanks all. should i DL an older version of MM instead of 4. I have read a lot of bad reviews for ver 4

Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Administrator

The bad reviews are to some extent deserved IMO. That's what I meant when I said it had slowed down. I don't use it enough to have had it happen but some of the people I recommend it for have told me it's slowed their older machines and freezes at times. When they reinstalled the older version, 3.25.xxxx I believe, the problems stopped. I haven't had any freezes when I use it on a decent machine, it just responds slower.

I'd check the release notes on any security updates. If you're good on that and you know where to find the older version that's what I would use.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 AM

been working with ver 4 for a few min and i dont see what people are complaining about. It's been working just fine. right now just going through and trying to tag all the misc (track 1) type stuff. most of the time all I can type in myself is the artist and hope the auto tagger works

thanks again

Old 04-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Administrator

If you're typing in a lot of info there's a good chance you're not letting MM work for you. Make sure the title of a song and the artist is right. Using the title or artist is frequently enough. When the tune or group of tunes from a single album is in the center pane, right click. You'll see Get Info, Buy... as one of the options. When you click that it opens to a number of online stores, google etc.

When you choose one your browser opens to that site with a search started. Once you fine that search down you can cut and paste the info in the MM Properties context box. Lots of times there decent images available you can save as album art. That always seemed to work better for me with single artist albums instead of compilations.

There's lots of goodies inside MM you'll find once you spend some time with it. After I had the library let me know what was missing and found a few of those shortcuts I could take a loose set of files and have them organized and tagged if a few minutes.

The library "Files To Edit" tab was especially helpful. After I eliminated the duplicate files and duplicate content I still had thousands of files left to tag but having all that extra out of the way cut back what I needed to fix by at least 15%.