android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Android

Old 04-07-2012, 04:51 PM

Default Verizon updates Android My Verizon app to mixed reviews

Verizon got it in its head that the My Verizon app just wasn’t cutting it, and therefore decided to throw it out the window and start again. Or so it would seem. The app was updated yesterday, and when I saw the “streamlined interface & optimal performance” line, I wasn’t expecting much. Little did I know that the “update” button was about to bring an overhaul.

Gone are the large, clickable blocks, swipe navigation, and easy-on-the-eyes infographics. In their stead are a condensed homepage that sometimes feels cluttered, and a clickable header with five tabs: Home, Bill, Plan, Device, and Profile. I must say that the app does feel significantly faster, and all my most commonly accessed data is easier to get to—just as promised in the change log. But it’s ugly.

While yes, it has been “improved”, the overall feeling is that of a website I would have seen 10 years ago. Sure, function before form, and all that. I get it. But none of us buy ugly phones just because they’re fast, right? Right?
Hopefully Verizon will soon follow with a beautification update with some better fonts, and bring back swipe navigation. The app already has tabs, adding swipe would just make sense. So far new ratings on the update seem to be split about 50-50 between 5 stars loving the changes and 1star raters who have force close or other major new issues.

Is anyone here using this app? What’s your opinion? How do you use it, and any problems so far? I, perhaps being slightly OCD, check my data usage several times a week, and also use it to pay my bill each month. So far I haven’t had any issues with it on my X2.

[Google Play]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]