android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Android

Old 04-10-2012, 03:43 PM

Default Tumblr's Android app sees overhaul—what do you think of it?

Everybody has their own favorite method of social networking these days. For a growing number, that method is Tumblr, whose Android app has just received a serious update. The biggest change is an entirely new user interface that manages to be perfectly easy to grasp, while not feeling like any other social app I’ve dealt with. Obviously there will be similarities and I’m not claiming this as a groundbreaking design or anything, but it just feels fresh and simple. A pleasant surprise compared with several other social apps that feel like a desktop crammed into a phone.

The app is now “more responsive” and promises to load pretty much everything faster—an especially nice touch for an app that deals largely in pictures. If you click on the little “me” button, you will be taken to a page containing all of your stuff—I know, shocker!—the best change here is that your notifications now all congregate in this one location and are kept synced.

Photo browsing is also improved, and is actually snappier now than my phone’s built-in photo browser, not that that is very hard to do. Not willing to leave any stone unturned, Tumblr Radar has been added, providing you with the easiest way to get random content from “the easiest way to blog.” It became pretty apparent over the weekend that pretty much nobody in these parts likes Facebook on Android, but how do you all feel about Tumblr and the new update? Is the app any good? Is it better than the previous incarnation?

[Google Play via The Verge]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]