android
Old 04-13-2012, 02:12 AM

Default Verizon blitzes California with LTE on April 14

April 14 was a glorious day for me, as yours truly lives in northern California and most of my preferred stomping grounds were blanketed with Verizon 4G LTE yesterday. And I do mean blanketed—you now could quite nearly drive from Sacramento to San Francisco to Fresno to Los Angeles without ever leaving LTE coverage. One new market was added today—Visalia—and four others were expanded, along with a fifth—Reno Nevada.

The four Californian expansions are Fresno, Modesto, Stockton, and the San Francisco Bay Area. In case you haven’t been paying attention, this is not Verizon’s only major 4G LTE move since we last talked a month ago. Six new markets have been added in Kansas and Georgia, namely Brunswick, Lagrange, and Macon GA and Garden City, Great Bend, and Hays KS.

A cool dozen markets in Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire have been expanded or enhanced in the past 30 days, with 21 others being promised “in the coming weeks.” Only the Cattaraugus-Allegany Area expansion has a date—April 19. I would imagine the other 20 expansions to happen right around there as well, seeing as how Verizon seems to enjoy making large expansions all at once.

Expanded:
  • Hartford, Connecticut
  • Benton, Christopher, Duquoin, and West Frankfort, Illinois
  • Raynham, Massachusetts
  • Sterling, Massachusetts
  • Townsend, Massachusetts
  • Waltham, Massachusetts
  • Concord, New Hampshire
  • Goffstown, New Hampshire
  • Loudon, New Hampshire

Will expand soon:
  • Auburn, Alabama
  • Tuscaloosa, Alabama
  • Ocala, Florida
  • Sarasota-Bradenton, Florida
  • Bonner’s Ferry, Coeur d’Alene, Post Falls, Rathdrum, and Stateline, Idaho
  • Cattaraugus-Allegany Area, New York
  • Cleveland, Ohio
  • Albany, Corvallis, and Salem Oregon
  • The Greater Columbus area, Ohio
  • Centralia and Shelton, Washington
  • Cheney, Deer Park, Mica, and Valleyford, Washington

In related news, though I do not know how old to be perfectly honest, Verizon completely overhauled its 4G portal at some point in time in the past few weeks. It now looks like something out of Metro UI, with big, colorful boxes everywhere containing information, coverage maps, and lots of pictures with smiling people. Most of the new sections also have a scroll on them, and overall the interface feels much more like a mobile app than a webpage.

Best of all, Verizon has added a comparison map that none-to-humbly points out that T-Mobile and Sprint do not have LTE yet. I’m not sure which I’m more excited about, more 4G LTE near me, or the prospect of a continuously updated LTE map, though it’s almost sure to be as slow to update as Verizon’s old map. Is anybody else excited about this? Do any of these LTE updates affect you? What areas do you hope are next?

[Verizon | 2 | PR Newswire | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]