android
Old 04-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Default H320 freezing problems

Hi, wondering if anyone can help.

i have had a h320 since jan 2005 and so far it is doing well, however recently I'm having problems with it stopping part way through a song and then skipping to another. Often when this happens the device freezes so no buttons respond when pressed then a while later just comes back on.
Is there a solution to this, as its getting annoying and I really dont want to have to replace it.

Any help/suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks

Last edited by zebrastripes; 04-14-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-14-2012, 03:57 PM

Does it freeze at the same point on the same song?
The problem could be caused by corrupt files or sectors on your disc. First thing is to backup your files and then run check disc (my computer > right click your player > properties > tools >error checking).
Also formatting the drive and error checking may help. The drive must be formatted to a FAT32 file system.
If you already have backup of your files then I'd recommend using them to replace the files on your player after doing the above.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Stripes, welcome to ABI.

In addition to what JB said, just in case if the hard drive has a partial amount of bad sectors, I believe a good formatter utility such as swiss knife can partially format the drive, so the bad sectors are out of the way. If the hard drive needs replacement, it is a relatively straightforward process. Lastly, is this newly ripped music that is causing the problem? I am asking because it could be as a result of bad tagging.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:55 PM

Hi
Thanks for the replies.

I have no idea if it is always on the same songs as I usually have it on shuffle, so hard to keep track.
I'll have a go at the error checks tomorrow, and see what that shows - if any are shown I may be asking for more help.

All the files should be backed up else where so if it needs reformatting how do I do that?

No none of it is newly ripped music, I've not updated it for ages.

Thank you

Old 04-15-2012, 01:12 PM

Hi,

so i plugged it into the computer and it told me it needed to be reformatted as I couldnt open it. Once formatted I have tried to put my music back on, but 1 album with 8 songs takes 8 minutes and one with 13 27 minutes. I had about 12 GB of music on it at that rate it'll take forever to refill with my music.
Any ideas on how to improve this??
thanks

Old 04-15-2012, 03:43 PM

Did you do a error check? If so did it find errors?
If you have drive sector problems you should try what Musichound suggested and resize the partition you are using to eliminate the bad section.
Both swissknfe http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...issKnife.shtml and Fat32formatter http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/ will do this for you.
It does seem to me that you may have a bad drive and it'd probably be easiest to replace it.
Quite a easy job to do.
The drives that will fit your player are ...
MK2004GAL (20Gb)
MK2006GAL (20Gb)
MK3006GAL (30Gb)
MK4007GAL (40Gb)
Ebay is probably the cheapest place to find them.
yell if you need more info.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 AM

JImbuck, I tried to do an error check, but it crashes and goes no further. Now each time I connect it to the pc it says it needs re-formatting, so sadly I think it is the hard disk gone.
I wouldn't have the first clue how to change it, and think I would rather put the money towards a new player...
It has been used almost every day for 7 years, and 4 since the battery was replaced, so I cant complain, but sadly I think its time for it to be replaced.
Any suggestions for a replacement??
I want a fm radio and at least 16GB prefereably with drag and drop, thats not too small.
I really appreciate all the advice Thank you

Old 04-16-2012, 11:44 AM

Boot Fedora 14 Gnome and connect the player. If the disk is gone, Disk Utility would immediately tell you that it has 60000 bad sectors (or something).