android
Old 04-16-2012, 05:57 PM

Talking SGP 3.6 (released) and SGP 4.2 (preorders available soon)

Hey guys you may or may not been following the news about the SGP. So I will just quickly sum it up for you

The SGP 3.6 is now available at BB and Amazon
The SGP 4.2 will have preorders on May 3rd and will be available on May 13th
No news about the SGP 5.0 Plus being released anytime soon though

So I was wondering if any of you are planning on preordering or going out and purchasing these devices

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 PM

Nope,I just bought my SGP 5.0 4 months ago in December,I'm not replacing it ANYTIME soon at all lol Probably not for a few years,though I do plan to upgrade the memory and buy more,memory is more important to me than upgrading to another device now. I'm an informed shopper,not an impulse buyer in the least bit for $200+ items lol

Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicup04 View Post
No news about the SGP 5.0 Plus being released anytime soon though
And there never shall be, according to Samsung. The 5.0 Plus is staying in South Korea, and not leaving *sniff*.
Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 rooted + 32 GB Samsung uSD - Samsung T10 Bright Lime Green 4GB - Sansa Clip+ Black 4GB minus screen - SanDisk DAP 512 MB (modified to take two AAs instead of one AAA) - KITSOUND KSDJ headphones - SoundMAGIC E10 IEMs

Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm in Lagoo's boat lol besides my next big purchase is probably going to be a WP8, when that hits. At which point, I anticipate my SGP becoming purely a music/video player and everything else being handled by whatever device I get as my phone.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
I'm in Lagoo's boat lol besides my next big purchase is probably going to be a WP8, when that hits. At which point, I anticipate my SGP becoming purely a music/video player and everything else being handled by whatever device I get as my phone.
I was thinking along the same lines myself. I'd love it if Nokia managed to shoehorn it's fancy new camera tech into an upcoming Windows Phone. I suspect all the hardware/software pieces will fall into place later this year. MS is so close to making it work for me.

...but back on topic, I don't really see the appeal of the 3.6 at that price point and the 4.2 is just seems stupid. Not good enough Samsung.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I will say this: the thing I like most about my 5.0 is the screen size. I can't see myself ever wanting to drop it lol

Old 04-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Like Lagoo and steinburger, I plan on keeping my SGP 5.0 for a while. My only real complaint with it is that it doesn't pick up weak wifi as well as my Galaxy Tab does.

I love the size of the screen, but also the fact that it feels substantial, not flimsy. My 4th-gen Touch sat in the box until my Otterbox case came, because it was so thin I thought I might break it...lol.

The 3.6 seems to be getting bashed for the quality of its screen in each review that I've read so far.....I haven't read one of the 4.2 yet.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
Nope,I just bought my SGP 5.0 4 months ago in December,I'm not replacing it ANYTIME soon at all lol Probably not for a few years,though I do plan to upgrade the memory and buy more,memory is more important to me than upgrading to another device now. I'm an informed shopper,not an impulse buyer in the least bit for $200+ items lol

I was thinking that since the product never really sells for the price listed on the Samsung website and its usually lower at retailers like BB and amazon the price of the device would be around $130 instead of $150 for the SGP 3.6 and $180 instead of $200 for the SGP 4.2

Old 04-19-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I will say this: the thing I like most about my 5.0 is the screen size. I can't see myself ever wanting to drop it lol
I'm with you. I look at iPhones and they seem too small to use. Personally I'd consider 6.0! 7" is going to be just way to big to get in my pocket or on my belt.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:28 AM

The 3.6 is currently sold for 99.99 at amazon uk!

Old 05-10-2012, 01:27 PM

I think I am going to take the plunge and order the 4.2. I currently have a P3 that is showing some signs of age (battery life) and I want something with WiFi capabilities. I have some Amazon gift card dollars to use so it will be cheaper, and shipping is free.
I also like he fact that Samsung is still making MP3 players. I don't mind carrying two devices and prefer to use my phone for non-music activities, although I have a Razr Maxx, and the battery life is fantastic.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangel28 View Post
I also like he fact that Samsung is still making MP3 players. I don't mind carrying two devices and prefer to use my phone for non-music activities, although I have a Razr Maxx, and the battery life is fantastic.
You're definitely not alone on this.

However, you may have noticed, I've been speaking out in favor of the 5.0 over the 4.2, though not knowing exactly your personal reasons as to why you want to get the 4.2, I can't say for sure...

Old 05-11-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
You're definitely not alone on this.

However, you may have noticed, I've been speaking out in favor of the 5.0 over the 4.2, though not knowing exactly your personal reasons as to why you want to get the 4.2, I can't say for sure...
Yes, I've been reading the posts and have been wavering. I like the fact that the 4.2 has a removable battery, but not sure if that's going to be an issue as I tend to buy MP3 players more than I should. I like the fact that the 4.2 is in black, but I'll get a cover for it so that's probably a moot point as well.
My biggest concern, I guess, is sound. I read in the forums about the 5.0 producing a hissing sound, especially if you use high end IEMs, which I do. I don't think hissing is a problem in the 4.0s and hopefully the 4.2s will not have issues. I know Samsung has been using Wolfson DACs and Yamaha DACs, but I'm not sure what they are putting into the 4.2s.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:48 AM

Default Ordering from Best Buy

Galaxy Player 4.2 is available today. site says 3 day delivery:

Best Buy 4.2 Link

Update - Just ordered the SGP 4.2 on line, for store pick-up. They say 5/17 pickup, we'll see. Will keep the group posted.

Last edited by nokudzu; 05-13-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: update

Old 05-13-2012, 07:45 PM

I was going to order the 4.2 on Amazon today but it's out of stock must be very popular

Old 05-13-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtiger View Post
I was going to order the 4.2 on Amazon today but it's out of stock must be very popular
Yeah, I preordered last Monday, apparently others too. Still hasn't shipped though. Estimated delivery date is Wednesday.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:23 PM

Default Ordered SGP 4.2 from Best Buy

on-line today. Says it will be in store 5/17

Old 05-14-2012, 12:35 AM

Can't believe there's not one review for the 4.2 yet. I'm still holding off on buying it, just in case it turns out bad.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangel28 View Post
I think I am going to take the plunge and order the 4.2. I currently have a P3 that is showing some signs of age (battery life) and I want something with WiFi capabilities. I have some Amazon gift card dollars to use so it will be cheaper, and shipping is free.
I bought the 4.0 back in december as my first android "smart" device and to replace my limited to 8 GB aging refurbished flash to EU 5.10 P2 player (which hasn't even been charged since december and still boots right up), my main reason was to get a player that would hold my 24GB+ collection of music and was preferably touchscreen and after about a week reading everything I could find choose the 4.0, with the idea this is where I would "learn" android and still be small enough to like you fit in the same pocket as my phone, have yet to see a phone that sounded as good as a dedicated player, and while the Razr Maxx sounds OK its nothing compared to a 4.0 (by the way I got the Maxx during the BOGO sale back in february).

rangel28, unless you need email and other push notifications to come thru automatically set the smart action rule "battery extender" to not only disable background sync but also to disable data (you'll still get texts and calls), you'll get crazy better battery life i'm at 69% battery and that is with 1 hour 6 minutes worth of phone talk time and 41 minutes screen on and 1 day 17 hours and 19 minutes since unplugged from charger.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:28 AM

The viewing angles on the 3.6 aren't very good but the screen brightness isn't too bad.

I think I will pick up a 4.2 to see if it is any good

Tags
samsung galaxy players