android
Old 04-19-2012, 12:48 AM

Default Verizon announces global data plan

Going to the games in London this year? Or perhaps Oktoberfest is more your style? What if you bought that global phone “just because” and are itching to put it to good use when you visit relatives in Mexico or Canada? All of these options would previously have been a hassle, if not a nightmare, when it comes to data for Verizon customers. Verizon has fixed this problem, offering its customers 100MB of international roaming for $25 a month in 120 countries and destinations, including all of Europe and most of the Americas.

First of all, no, 100MB isn’t much. Verizon knows this, and has graciously offered an automatic doubling of your cap—for an addition $25 of course—should you exceed it. Verizon will also kindly notify you of this via text message. So I would recommend turning off push notifications if you plan to be out of country more than a few days, but even with regular usage levels, $.25/MB is not bad. It’s far cheaper than the horror stories of thousands of dollars just because of push notifications on a cruise.

Some third party data SIM offerings may trump this deal depending on your situation but it is awfully hard to put a price on convenience. Oh, and in case you’re wondering, AT&T also has a similar plan. However, the initial cost is twice as expensive—$25/50MB a.k.a. $.50/MB—and overages just plain hurt—$10/10MB. Only at AT&T’s top tier of 800MB ($199.90) pre-paid do you get Verizon’s $.25/MB price, and overages are still $1/MB.

Last time I went international, I turned roaming off on my phone. Fortunately it was in Canada, and most of the time I was close enough to the International Boundary that I could catch glimpses of Verizon’s home service. Has anybody here had serious experience—good or bad—with international data roaming? Was it for business or pleasure? What pros and—more importantly—cons do you see in this offer from Verizon?

[Verizon via Android Community]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]