android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 10-23-2006, 11:12 AM

Default Thanks again...

Yeah...actually, having thought about it that would have about the same appeal as trying on "display purposes only" underwear (the loaner...*shudder*) from sweats r us or some equally sick equivalent . Gross!

I guess I'll have to take the plunge and go with what I know (what you and others have mentioned previously)

Another reason why I'm taking such a keen interest is that its very important for me to find monitors that will provide insulation and allow a quieter listening level. As a hearing aid wearer (due to mastoiditis, a condition, rather than overexposure to noise) I would like to be able to minimise danger to my ears whilst getting a good listening experience. Hell, I'm not even sure how much difference in signal quality I'll notice which is kind of why I wanted to try before I buy. Currently , I'm going on the basis that the more clarity and range available, the better chance I'll have of hearing as much as possible.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-23-2006, 11:20 AM

I understand you very well, being a multiple Tinnitus victim myself (not due to loud noise).

In that case I'd also recommend looking at the Etymotic ER-4P, they do have the best isolation of all non-custom-made IEMs (around 30-40dB) with their triple-flanged silicone plugs. They don't have a lot of bass, but are very linear, analytical and precise. They're a bit more expensive, though. They're considered "studio-grade gear", many producers use them for mixing and mastering.

The cheaper ER-6 come with double-flanged plugs and isolate very well, too. Quality-wise they're a slight notch above the CX300 (except the weaker bass response).

Highly recommended if you're not a bass-head.

Ultimate Ears S.F, on the other hand, provide more "fun" at listening.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:47 AM
Banned

im having a hard time choosing IEM between Creative EP-630 and sennheiser CX 300 >_<,suggestions are welcome!

oh btw my player is Creative Zen Microphoto and the type of music i listen to mostly is trance

Old 10-24-2006, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilJIN
im having a hard time choosing IEM between Creative EP-630 and sennheiser CX 300 >_<,suggestions are welcome!

oh btw my player is Creative Zen Microphoto and the type of music i listen to mostly is trance
They're both basically the same. Some say the CX300 sounds a bit better, some say they're the same.

The CX300 has asymmetrical cables and an angled plug, the EP630 has a symmetrical cable and a straight plug.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
The CX300 has asymmetrical cables and an angled plug, the EP630 has a symmetrical cable and a straight plug.

so its a bad thing or good thing?!

sorry for asking noobish question

Old 10-24-2006, 12:30 PM

I don't like asymmetrical cables and I do like angled plugs... so both IEMs have their advantages and disadvantages...

But I think the angled plug is more important, since a straight plug sticks out of any player too much- and could damage the phone-out jack.

EP-630:

CX-300:

Old 10-24-2006, 05:56 PM

The Altec Lansing iM716 is an incredible in-ear monitor for the price. It offers what I consider to be mid-tier (Etymotic ER4, Shure E4, Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro, Westone UM2) performance at a low-tier price point (under $120). In fact, I very much consider the iM716 an amalgamation of the aforementioned IEMs. It has much of the clarity and detail of the ER4. It has much of the pleasant softness and smoothness of the E4. It also has much of the body and "fun" aspect of the 5 Pro. It has some tight and punchy bass reminiscent of the UM2.

I used to use the Etymotic ER4P. In fact, I still own them. Fact of the matter is that I was so impressed by the iM716 that my ER4 is now relegated to the closet. It's a pleasant surprise for anyone on a limited budget that's even remotely capable of stretching their limit to $120, especially considering the performance it offers.

Supposedly, the iM616 is also pretty decent for $40 less.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:45 PM

Think I'm gonna add them to the list in the first post.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:04 PM

just to let people know, Gateway has the Creative ep-630's for $20.95 + shipping

Old 11-10-2006, 11:45 PM

the skullcandy smokin' buds are really good, cheap and noise proof

cheer up - damn emo kid

Old 11-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Banned

When it comes to IEMs I currently own the following:

Sony EX51 (awful, sibilant and muddy)
Sony EX70 (ditto)
Sony EX71 (ditto, with terrible cord quality)
Sony EX90 (nice sound, excellent fit and unmatched 'stay in the ear')

Panasonic HJE70 (superb, warm, and with rich bass and a cool titanium case)

Shure E2C (nice-ish sound, very uncomfortable, over-priced)
Shure E3C (over-priced)

Etymotic ER-6 and 6i (very cold, clinical sound, accurate but with no bass)

Audio Technica ATH CK7 (better sound than the ER-6, but still lacking bass)

UE SuperFi 3 (disappointingly mediocre)
UE SuperFi 5EB (magnificent)
UE SuperFi 5Pro (great)

JVC HA FX55 (surprisingly good at a very low price)

Apple In ear (reasonable sound, very poor fit)

Sennheiser CX300 (great sound for $50)

Creative 630 (similar to above, less impressive bass)

Sharp MD33 (again similar)

V-Moda Bass Freq (on a par with the CX300, but very small and very light)

V-Moda Vibe (I'm listening to prototypes, which are superb, but I haven't heard the production version.)

Various others that are truly dire (Koss the Plug, Earthumps, SkullCandys)

I'm a journo, so I haven't had to buy all of these. My favourites are ironically phones I have paid for.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:10 PM

Update: added the Beyerdynamic DTX 50 and AKG K 324 P to the list.

The AKGs look a lot like EP-630's, MD-33's or CX-300's... yet another clone/OEM product?

Old 11-27-2006, 05:11 AM

Default What about Philips?

Having had terrible experiences in terms of fit with all of the in-ear phones that I've ever tried (yes, even with all the different size attachments; I guess I have a weirdly shaped ear canal opening), I was very surprised to find that the latest ones I bought fit so well (in fact, they fit so well that a light tug of the cord does not affect the fit). They are Philips SHS592; picked them up at Best Buy for $30 ($CDN). Sound quality is good, perhaps a little high on the bass. Interesting flat circular outside shape with a small vent hole (interestingly, no sound is heard when worn when a finger is placed to block the hole).

For the curious: L-shaped connector; asymmetric cord.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @za
the skullcandy smokin' buds are really good, cheap and noise proof
I'm not that crazy about them. Maybe I got a defective pair?

Bought the Sennheiser MX500s the other day. Then heard about the V-Moda Vibe here, and ordered them in gunmetal last night. They look sweet and based on a couple of reviews, they seem like a great pair of buds. Guess I'll find out when I get them.

Creative MuVo TX FM | MPIO One | Sansa Clip | iAudio 6 | Cowon D2 (2) | S9 | J3

Old 11-28-2006, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontoboy
Having had terrible experiences in terms of fit with all of the in-ear phones that I've ever tried (yes, even with all the different size attachments; I guess I have a weirdly shaped ear canal opening), I was very surprised to find that the latest ones I bought fit so well (in fact, they fit so well that a light tug of the cord does not affect the fit). They are Philips SHS592; picked them up at Best Buy for $30 ($CDN). Sound quality is good, perhaps a little high on the bass. Interesting flat circular outside shape with a small vent hole (interestingly, no sound is heard when worn when a finger is placed to block the hole).

For the curious: L-shaped connector; asymmetric cord.
They look interesting, similar to the Bose IE phones (but more reasonably priced). I bet they have a wider soundstage than the usual closed IEMs.

But they're not in-ear phones, they're normal open earbuds with a silicone plug attached. They also don't use armature drivers but standard neodymium speakers.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:12 PM

Good Lord man... I had no idea the "ear bud" market was so huge. Why would you spend more on the earphones than on the mp3 player?

Any suggestions for the best that costs under $50

Old 12-12-2006, 01:29 PM

To optimize your listening pleasure.

Im looking too. From the reviews Ive researched, these seem like they might work. Sennheiser CX 300. Im gonna give them a go myself.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:52 PM

Jinkx, I have a recommendation that very close to $50 - the Sennheiser CX300 or V-Moda Bass Fréq, if you like a lot of bass. And the JVC FX55 if you don't need that much bass.

BTW, they're not "ear buds", they're "in ear monitors" - they work in a completely different way than standard buds.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:27 AM

Just one note. I believe the earbuds supplied with the Sandisk E1XX series MP3 players are actually V-MODA Bass Freqs. They look exactly the same,except with the a Sandisk logo, no red V-Moda trademark. Can anyone confirm this?

Old 12-21-2006, 07:03 AM

I can't believe Sandisk would provide ~$50 earphones with their players. That would be far too much to keep their prices down. And they really don't look the same, either.

Tags
earphone, iem, in-ear phone