android
Old 04-25-2012, 08:45 PM

Default SGP 5.0 or wait for 4.2?

I know it will be hard to get a fair comparison as the 4.2 is not available yet and no one has got to use it much. But I have a few questions when trying to decide which version to get.

1. Is the screen size going to be noticeable. I am hoping to use the player for some simple gaming, listening to MP3 and surfing/youtube. I doubt I will try to watch any full length feature films on it. So is 5" really needed?

2. Is 4.2 more likely to get updates like ICS than the 5.0? Is ICS that much better for simple tasks like music and gaming?

3. 5.0 seems to have a lot more like higher MP in camera/flash, bigger battery, bigger screen. Is there something I am missing in the specs for the 4.2 that would make it better than the 5.0?

4. For portability is 5" too big? I have made some cardboard models as close to specs as I can for both. The 5" does not seem as bad as it sounds. The Staples in my town only has 4" and they can not turn it on for me to try it out.

I have tried going through a lot of these forums and got a lot of good information. Just not a lot on if people are waiting for 4.2 or not. Your input would be much appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 PM

1) I'd rather have a 5.3 in screen. I like not having to squint.
2) Forget about ICS.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/Su...6&fm_seq=49755
The only WiFi devices that will get ICS are
Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus Wi-Fi (P6210)
Galaxy Tab 8.9 Wi-Fi (P7310)
Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi (P7510)
3)Other than higher dpi(same res but smaller screen), 4.2 is a downgrade. See cheaper price.
4) I don't have a problem with the size at all.

I'd stick with the Galaxy Player 5.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:54 PM

1) I think you'll find the 5" beneficial for gaming and youtube. Feature films actually look quite good in the 5" screen (great on long airplane flights). It is essentially a pocketable sized tablet.
2)Motch is right, I doubt either unit will get ICS, but they don't really need it either.
3) Again, Motch covered this one well.
4)Size is great for me, usually resides in my shirt pocket.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwatch View Post
1) I think you'll find the 5" beneficial for gaming and youtube. Feature films actually look quite good in the 5" screen (great on long airplane flights). It is essentially a pocketable sized tablet.
2)Motch is right, I doubt either unit will get ICS, but they don't really need it either.
3) Again, Motch covered this one well.
4)Size is great for me, usually resides in my shirt pocket.
Really? A little heavy for the shirt pocket, IMO. But yes, the screen is big enough to comfortably watch a whole movie, nice for the games, and a nice size for typing in landscape mode.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 AM

I'd echo everything above.
5" is a great size. I have fairly small hands and I can hold the thing in my right hand and hit the entire screen area with my thumb no problem. fit's in shirt pocket, pants pocket, etc and seems to offer WAY more screen usability than the 4.0 (or the 4.2 probably) in my opinion.
I was 50/50 when I first viewed the 4.0 and the 5.0 in Best Buy. The way I saw it when I bought it, was that if the 5.0 size was not causing me any downside, why would I NOT want a more usable screen and a much bigger battery?

By the way, even though they are all 480 x 800 resolution, the 5.0 does not "suffer" from a lower apparent resolution as the techno-sites report. It's a good -looking screen. I'd highly recommend the 5.0. It's a pretty awesome device for the price.

But to be absolutely sure, go to Best Buy and try both. (If Staples won't turn on a display model for you, they lose. That's the only benefit that a brick and mortar store has and they just threw it away.)

Some just like that smaller screen and device size (evidence the wild success of the tiny iphone)

Tip: Get a Zagg (or other) screen protector on day one.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 AM

Thanks everyone. I was pretty sure the bigger screen would be more beneficial for me. The only other thing I just noticed was the speaker location changing. Do the speakers at the back of the 5.0 cause any problems. I noticed on some you tube videos you could tell the sound got a lot louder when they turned the device around. I am sure I will mostly use headphones on this device anyways. But for those occasions where I may be watching a video or want music to play in the background and leave the device on a table, does the sound get muffled much with speakers on the back?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 AM

There are three speakers on the 5.0. There's one on the front at the top. Yes, the sound does get muffled if you lay it flat on a table or have a case that covers the speakers.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:27 PM

Yeah- it's not exactly a "feature". If you put it down screen up, the speakers are covered. And it's not helped by the fact that there's no kickstand on board.

On the plus side, for tiny 3/8" speakers, they do a pretty good job! In stereo! I sometimes prop up the 5.0 against a book or something for viewing netflix so some of the sound gets reflected back to me.

If you put the speakers on the front, the whole device would be larger or the screen would be smaller. Pretty easy to understand that. It's a compromise, as with most engineering and design.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM

The sound from the speakers do sound pretty good even with some muffling. Using Poweramp and Equalizer makes it even better. I prop up my SGP also to get the most sound that I can. The front speaker puts out 1/3 of the sound so, IMO, it's worth having and worth the space that it takes up.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I see the 4.2 as a downgrade in almost every way.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking but still thought newer release had to be better. But I put in an order for a 5.0 today and the order says it should be here tomorrow. That would be amazing if it came that quick.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:45 PM

Galaxy Player 5.0 is currently on sale on Amazon for $199.99 to $206.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...5487241&sr=1-1

Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx14 View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking but still thought newer release had to be better. But I put in an order for a 5.0 today and the order says it should be here tomorrow. That would be amazing if it came that quick.
Logic would say that, wouldn't it? Unfortunately, in the tech game, a lot of times newer iterations can be a step backward. What comes to mind quickly is the Sansa Fuze to Fuze+, Cowon J3 to D3, among others. Considering all of the information I've seen so far is leading me to believe there really isn't much different let alone better about the 4.2 (and then considering the fact that there's already a decent development community on the 5.0 that doesn't exist for the non-existent 4.2), I'd say you made the right choice. Have fun with it!

Old 04-27-2012, 07:10 AM

Either buy the current 5.0 version or wait for a OLED or AMOLED 5 inch screen version,thats exactly what I'm doing. I don't care for a higher processor,that does not give me enough reasons to drop another nearly $200 on a product.

Last edited by Lagoo56; 04-27-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
Yeah- it's not exactly a "feature". If you put it down screen up, the speakers are covered. And it's not helped by the fact that there's no kickstand on board.

On the plus side, for tiny 3/8" speakers, they do a pretty good job! In stereo! I sometimes prop up the 5.0 against a book or something for viewing netflix so some of the sound gets reflected back to me.

If you put the speakers on the front, the whole device would be larger or the screen would be smaller. Pretty easy to understand that. It's a compromise, as with most engineering and design.
Actually, when listening to music without headphones, it seems the sound is better in tone and volume if placed face up on a wooden table top. It could be my imagination, but it seems the table top enhances the sound.

Last edited by skwatch; 04-28-2012 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 04-28-2012, 07:11 AM

WOW IT DID COME IN 1 DAY!!
Of course it came an hour and a half before I had to go to work.
I did quickly get it hooked up to the computer and downloaded a couple quick apps from the android market. Played with it a bit at work on my breaks. Music definitely sounds better with Proamp instead of stock music player. Man how 8GB goes quickly. Will have to get MicroSD card for my music.
I can't believe Samsung does not advertise this more. I used to have a Palm Zire 71 that I used a bit. That was a long time ago. Only ever had an IPOD Nano. This seems far superior to any Touches I have tried.

LOVE IT !!!!!

Last edited by thx14; 04-28-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:52 AM

Congrats on getting your new device.

It seems that Samsung is too busy promoting the Note to want to spend the advertising money on the SGP that it well deserves.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:37 PM

I love my 5.0, but have been thinking about buying a used Droid X on a Page Plus plan (probably the $12/mo). I'd like to quit carrying 2 devices. The 4.3" screen is smaller, but the same resolution, so should look just as good. I'm on wifi 90% of the time, so don't need much data at all. Will I regret this decision?

Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
??? It has a bigger screen in the same size body as the 4.0, with a removable battery that is also bigger than the 4.0, and is thinner than both 4.0 and (way more than) 5.0. It's has increased bluetooth capabilities & ships with a couple probably good games (FIFA, Need for Speed, one other). It may have a better DAC, like the 4.0 (in any case its unlikely to have a lesser one).

In fact the only thing that may be a downgrade besides raw screen size is the rear facing camera, AFAIK. Could you elaborate on what else, what am I missing? Thanks.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 AM

The samsung US site lists the back camera as 3.2 mega-pixel on GP 4.2.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3...I1CB/XAA-specs

Edit: just noticed the spec sheet pdf states 2MP so there is a typo somewhere.

Last edited by marty999; 05-10-2012 at 09:02 AM.