android
Old 04-26-2012, 07:48 PM

Default Scroll/Cycle Function (S series)

I'd love to buy a Walkman S544, but none of the reviews I've seen give much info on how effective you can scroll through different songs. Could any users share some info on that?

For users of multiple mp3 players, which other mp3 player would you recommend over the Walkman? (regardless of brand & under $80) The things I value are the scroll function, battery life, and overall durability.

Thank you all very much!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 PM

Well, I have an S545.

If by scrolling, you mean going through the file list, it's pretty straightforward.

If you go by any of the filters (all files, folders, artists, playlists, etc.), it will give an alphabetical list, separated in to "pages" for each letter and number. Up and down will go up and down the list, while left and right will move the screen over to the next letter. You can scroll up and down into the next letter, if you want.

There is the option to use album art as a way to browse... but I've never been able to get all the album art to properly display. There seems to be some sort of specific settings or something that the Walkman line likes. I have embedded album art show up sometimes, and separate image files of different sizes and formats are a coin-toss. There doesn't seem to be any common resolution, file size or format that it likes. I've never been able to get an answer as to what the Walkman S or A-series needs in order to have album art display properly.

(This is kind of a moot point, as the screen is hardly large enough or of a high enough resolution to make album art appear as little more than a slightly blurry icon. It's best to just forget album art scrolling. It's handled far better in other Walkman models, like the A-series.)

I do find, however, that lots of smaller files tends to make the device slow down a little. Unless you are incredibly impatient and even a half second is going to drive you nuts, it's hardly noticeable and most certainly not a deal-breaker. With 8 GBs on the S544, you shouldn't run into this problem.

As for an alternative, you're going to hear "Clip+/Clip Zip" a lot. I'll leave the reason why to the ones that suggest it.
movies, Netflix and internet, oh my!

Old 04-28-2012, 08:20 PM

Thank you very much for the reply!
I've never used any filters, it's just one long list for me.

Here's the context I'm in: I was gifted a ripped-off mp3 player from my very well intentioned mom. Each file was a click on a button, if I wanted to listen to file #258 I'd have to click that many times.

So, to avoid any chance of a repeat, I need some confirmation about how/whether the Walkman can go through a large list (about 1K songs) without imposing a threat to overall enjoyability.

Thank you very much, again!