android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Windows Phones

Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 PM

Default Windows Phone 8 coming to all devices, says Evangelist, but other sources disagree

Nuno Silva, one of Microsoft’s Portuguese Windows Phone Evangelists, has revealed that Windows Phone 8 (codenamed “Apollo”) will indeed be made available as a free update to every single handset. This news doesn’t come directly from one of Microsoft’s official sources, but Evangelists are generally pretty well informed about what their employer is doing.

The full text, confirmed by multiple people fluent in Portuguese, is as follows:

Q: In terms of devices, who today have one is it expectable that…
A: What Microsoft said/stated and what I’m allowed to tell you is that all actual devices will get upgrade to the next major version of Windows Phone (we´re talking about Apollo)
Q: When you say actual devices. Are all that came out to market?
A: Are all that came out. Since the first generation that were bought. The LGs and SAMSUNGs.. OMNIA 7 which were the first devices with Windows Phone reaching the market.

Mary Jo Foley and The Verge, however, disagree. Her sources say that current Windows Phone devices will not be upgradeable from Windows Phone 7.5 "Mango" to Windows Phone 8 "Apollo." Which is it, Microsoft? Obviously, confirming that existing devices will not be compatible with future OS updates could harm sales, something Microsoft and its partners would not like, but the uncertainty is annoying, to say the least.

Microsoft has been hesitant to discuss the first truly major update to the Windows Phone OS, due this fall, so current device owners are understandably apprehensive about whether or not they’ll be able to upgrade their first and second generation devices. What’s more, rumors of a completely new codebase, closely related to Windows 8, haven’t helped concerns. Some people have intentionally held off on picking up the recently-released Nokia Lumia 900 for just this reason, instead opting to wait for the Next Big Thing. The Redmond software giant has, however, confirmed that existing apps will be compatible with Windows Phone 8. This is extremely important due to the platform’s growing Marketplace, which recently passed the 80,000 mark.

Silva’s comment doesn’t make universal updates a sure thing, but it should help people relax a little... provided it's true. Do you, like us, wish Microsoft would just confirm whether or not upgrades are a done deal?

[The Verge via LiveSide.net]

Last edited by Master Devwi; 04-17-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

There is conflicting news reorted later by then Verge that WP8 will not come to current devices, but I don't trust the Verge when it comes to Microsoft news.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:32 AM

the Verge shouldn't be trusted with any type of news really. I always get annoyed with their heavily bias and half ass articles and reviews.

Now about backwards compatibility, I think in general the phone market is currently unstable and very competitive. Microsoft might have no choice but to cut support for older devices to add capabilities to compete with Android Jellybean and the next version of iOS. As well, there's just not a whole lot of people with older window phones so it wouldn't really be a loss to Microsoft with the potential gain of new customers with the new features. It be definitely interesting to see how the whole windows phones plays out in the next few months.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:26 AM

That's the problem. While I agree that The Verge isn't always accurate, Mary Jo Foley often is. And then there's the possibility that the Evangelist wasn't completely filled in on what's going on. It's all too confusing.

I really want to believe that all phones will get Apollo, but there's just no way to be sure. And, as Nathan said, there might not be a benefit for Microsoft to provide the update to all handsets.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I hope my Lumia 900 gets the update,...it's great as is, but I know it could always be better!!!

As for The Verge,...I'm not too fond of the site. While I'm a fan of Josh Topolsky, I'm not a fan of the site as a whole. I wish he was still on Engadget.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Mary Jo Foley does get reports wrong a lot of times too. I think it wouldn't make sense to launch a device such as the Lumia 900 and then not support it 6 months later. I think we see a similar approach by Apple where old devices will not get all the features of the latest update, but are still upgradable. Until we officially hear something from Microsoft or its OEMs, I wouldn't trust any of these reports.

As for the Verge, Josh Topolsky even twitted that if you want page views, post as many negative articles about Microsoft as you can. So the Verge is the last place I want to read Microsoft news.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 AM

Well, it could be a possible move so people would buy new phones with the new Windows 8.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:17 PM

Apparently Microsoft stated they do not support what Nuno Silva said and are not making any promises for the time except for the compatibility of apps of course. The source for this link is originally the Verge but what can you do.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/04/18/wi...oft-denies-it/

To further my point about my last post, I think Microsoft is still closely watching the lunch of the lumia 900 and other phone lunches, like the Galaxy S III, before making any major decisions for WP8.

Last edited by nathan; 04-18-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

If they won't confirm what this guy said, then either they haven't decided or they've decided and its a no. Doesn't sound like good news for Lumia owners.

FWIW, I recently started reading the Verge and its pretty good. Less painfully stupid then Engadget, and a neat site layout too.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:24 AM

It looks like Silva was indeed mistaken. He's posted an update on his blog:

"I recently participated in an interview with the Portuguese website Zwame, where I made some comments on the future of Windows Phone that created confusion. Rumors are swirling, so I feel the need to clarify my statements.
The point I was attempting to make was simply that existing Windows Phone applications will run on the next version of Windows Phone. This is the same guidance that Microsoft shared late last year.

I mistakenly confused app compatibility with phone updateability, which caused the rumors we saw yesterday. I did not intend to give the impression I was offering new guidance on any products under development or their upgradeability.

While we have given Windows Phone developers this preliminary guidance on app compatibility to help them with long term project planning, Microsoft does not have any further news to share on future products at this time.

As always, you can tell I am very excited about Windows Phone and I hope you are too! "

Darn. I sure hope MJF and The Verge were incorrect as well.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It could be he was under NDA and he violated it.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

According to MSNerd, Microsoft is currently testing WP8 on the Lumia 610 and Lumia 800.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-p...-and-lumia-800

Old 04-19-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
According to MSNerd, Microsoft is currently testing WP8 on the Lumia 610 and Lumia 800.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-p...-and-lumia-800
From what i quickly glanced, there having problems getting the lumia models to before in desire way with WP8. Maybe they'll do a lite version of WP8 similar to Samsung's "feature pack" for the original Galaxy S during the ICS update.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 PM

Waiting for WP9. Otherwise not very interested by WP8 due to some less than desirable experiences with WP7.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
From what i quickly glanced, there having problems getting the lumia models to before in desire way with WP8. Maybe they'll do a lite version of WP8 similar to Samsung's "feature pack" for the original Galaxy S during the ICS update.
Note that the original source was translated from Chinese, and according to the source, the overall experience is that WP8 is even faster and smoother than WP7; however, there are a few kinks left.

I think the update model will be more like iOS where there are some features that are not available if the OS detects older hardware. I guessed this is pretty similar to what Samsung did as well.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I got the impression that only certain apps weren't up to snuff, but WP8 ran just fine. Then the OP states that it means WP8 won't be made available to those devices,...??? Honestly, I think waiting and SEEING what actually happens is the best thing to do. I personally doubt we'll have another Zune HD type fiasco. Microsoft can't afford to do that again,...

Old 04-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
Waiting for WP9. Otherwise not very interested by WP8 due to some less than desirable experiences with WP7.
Why is it more likely for the platform to be "fixed" by WP9 than by WP8?

Old 04-19-2012, 08:32 PM

^ Distant Avalon.

(Note: If you have not played Fate/Stay Night then please disregard whatever I said as pure gibberish.)

Old 04-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
(Note: If you have not played Fate/Stay Night then please disregard whatever I said as pure gibberish.)
Done.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Here are more claims that the Nokia Lumia will get WP8.

http://wmpoweruser.com/more-claims-t...ndows-phone-8/