android
Old 04-27-2012, 10:41 PM

Help A range of questions - .flac/Z2/J3/What's-a-Kizune/.ect

I made my title as descriptive as I could.

Good day! () Long time lurker - First time poster.
---------
I don't want a Smartphone, but I do want a music player. All I ask of it that it does its job and does it well, and if it as any extras along with it so be it...presuming it does a good job at those things too. A feature isn't a feature if it's crap. Video is of course a plus for those long trips ( & there are some really impressive music videos out there). I am particularly sensitive to music. While for MOST people .flac on a portable music player would be overkill...even for a few audiophiles... I need it. Music is my drug of choice.

That said my tastes are expanding. I have thus far only been able to get .flac from places like Bandcamp with its assortment of home grown talents.
I want to expand my library of .flac songs to a commercial market.
Unfortunately songs like Erik Wllo-Sounds of the seen , Yoko Kanno-35.7c , or Gareth Emery - Arrival you cannot get off the net in .flac (as far as I know if you get my drift). For me to do that I would have to buy a CD (which seems to be slowly harder and harder to do) and use some unknown program to rip it into .flac. I love my music...but 1 song isn't worth the coast of a CD where usually there is only one or two songs that I like. That that cd takes up space I don't have...blah blah blah. I don't even want to think about how many CDs it would take to make the collection I have in mind. O_o

-So with that noted-

About a year ago I after much agonizing of particulars I got a Cowon J3. I loved the sound & screen...loved abit less the lack to the ability of organization for all my music, but Kizune's Skins & Code were a nice attempt to help buffer that lack of ability. More on that in a moment.
Last year an event occurred that caused my J3 to be, as far as I know, no more. Mysterious for a reason...let's leave it at that. :/

I have been waiting to see what Cowon had in store for this year (fingers crossed since its cowon). At the moment the Z2 is in my crosshairs of stringent screening. My main concern at this point is hardware in general. I have been trying to find out the difference hardware wise from the J3 to the Z2 but it seems cowon thought it would be a good idea and give different bits of technical information for each music player in the manuals they have on the site making comparing not possible.
Then there is the ability to Root and Market hack the Cowon Z2, thought I have little understanding on this what you can do with this other than you are breaking the rules of the originally created programming. This is in part to I have never used the Android OS before, so this old version of it will be new to me. I would like to add Voodoo Sound just to see what all the fuss is about.

Then there is the current state of the Z2...while it could improve with firmware (and OS) updates... doesn't help much in making a final decision.

Kizune-you seem to have the best understanding due to seeing how all this tech works inside and out - can you make it better through codeing - or does the change in the OS screw that idea up before it starts? I would (try to) do it myself (and I would like to), but I don't know nor comprehend much of anything involving code...just design. (I am aware of Cheetah.)

I'm trying to figure out if the issues known can be fixed software wise. I have seen it done before -and I'm hoping it can be done again here (presuming the hardware is sound).

With the discontinuation of the one and only J3...I am REALLY at a squeeze here. I'm thinking that I may just have to wait...in the silence. With just me...and my brain. *shudder*

Oh... take note I'm not dead set on Cowon ...just awesome sound & flac .
I have also looked at Archos, Sansa, Creative, and even Samsung. >_>

GAAAA WHY CAN'T THIS BE EASY!!! \(〇Дo)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 AM

Why can't this be easy indeed... 3 days - 99 Views - 0 Responses. All of a sudden I seem to remember why I prefer to be a lurker. So... Have I asked too many questions? Is it the demeanor of my post? Did I post in the wrong part of the Fourm...or just the wrong Fourm? :/

The reason my post is the way it is is because I chose to just put all my questions in one post - Please by all means pick a question to answer. It doesn't have to be all of them. I have searched the site and I have seen some things answered slightly - I would much prefer a discussion started.

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?.... Bueller? >_>

Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Non-descriptive title, giant wall of text => probably 98 of those people clicked back without reading it

Anyway, I don't see the point of the Z2. Its a crappy smartphone without the radio priced almost as much as a good smartphone. Mid to low-range specs, no Android market, and last year's android version. If you want Android, just get a smartphone. You'll get better hardware for the money and ... a phone.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 PM

Unhappy

So what would you rather have me do? Make 5 or so different threads? I have a lot of questions (obviously) as reflected as by "A range of questions - .flac/Z2/J3/What's-a-Kizune/.ect ". (Non descriptive?!?!?)

Part of me wants to try iAudiophile - but I get the feeling that I may just get the same result since many of the people who post here post there as well.

At least I got something I suppose...though I get the feeling that you didn't read my post either. :/

I had to try. It is what it is. --_--

Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 AM

Something I learned a long time ago online but still have a hard time doing myself is that everything works better with better results if you just be punctual. Say what you need to say in less than ten lines of text. You see, by line two roughly 30% of all of your readers have already stopped reading.

Don't worry though, you have a habit of picking someone back up with each paragraph that you do. Most people tend to read the very last word as well as the first three words of every paragraph. That's something to keep in mind.

It all goes back to a story of my childhood. See, I was only seven and I had just gotten my first girlfriend. Oddly enough, my first real girlfriend. See, I had "girlfriends" before that that were nothing spectacular. Just playing in sandboxes together. But, when I was seven a friend from down the street introduced me to a beautiful 13 year old girl named Autumn. I would write our initials together everywhere I went. *+A (not giving my first name's initial. I don't trust you people) on every object I owned. Those three letters (Well, two letters and a shape) ended up on nearly every object that I could carve or write into. And we were great. I'd see her and we'd laugh, talk and then kiss. Everything was great until one day I made the stupid decision to actually write her a poem. See, I didn't write her just any ol' poem. I wrote her a Tolkien of a poem. A two page love extravaganza that I thought would better show my affection for her. Turns out, however, that she never even finished it. She thought it was scary and showed that we were moving too fast for her. She left me. Right then and there, and forced me to walk outside where Bobby and Dan both sat - laughing. I remember the look on their faces. Oh, how they laughed.. I walked home slowly. The poem crumpled in my hand as the rain started to gently cover me in a slippery shadow of myself. My seven year old legs shuffling in the puddles as I slowly made my way home. I walked up to my front door where I was greeted by my own mother. She too, laughing. "I told you that she didn't love you. Don't you listen to a word I say?" I squeezed past her bulbous frame blocking the doorway, sniffing the strong bourbon in the glass in her hand. I went into my room and cried. I cried harder than I ever had up to that point and truthfully I'm not certain I've ever cried harder to this day. I guess I'm still okay with it, though. As I learned something. I got to feel up on a girl twice my age (and while that'd be a tragic thing to me NOW as that'd make feeling her up more of a chore to her drooping bosom) - and my first kiss. Something that was romantic and ultimately would make a great story to one day tell to my future wife, and random people on an MP3 player forum. Oh, .. That and I also learned that being punctual is always better. I could have just said, "Roses are red, violets are blue, you're pretty and I like you" and been fine. But no, I opted for the two page report - and ultimately that got my heart broken.

Well, Maxiumus, don't get your heart broken. Be punctual. Let people know what you need and quickly. Don't be like me and have to walk home in the rain - and MP3 playerless to boot!

OH! And to answer your question, iunno. I'm pretty new to this whole mp3 audiophile crap. Just get a clip+. Spend the rest of the money on booze getting over Autumn like I do.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

First, read this: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68675

Second, I didn't answer because you put Kizune's name in the title of your thread,...why name a member/mod??? It's like calling a person out,...

TTYL,...

Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Banned

Kizune explained the differences between the Z2 and the J3 for me quite well, here. It was enough to convince me to go for a J3, instead of waiting for the Z2 to be released.

As for expanding your flac collection with commercial music, there are no places I know of that you can buy songs in that format... But, there are plenty of places out there that you can download them from.

I'm not going to violate forum policy by providing links to sites with pirated audio files, though. It's a sad state of affairs, when the only way to obtain a quality product is to either buy another product and go through a lot of work, or to do something illegal to obtain it.

Last edited by mutescream; 05-03-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo

Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Administrator

The sad state to me is that anyone thinks that by downloading a file that is in FLAC format that they believe they are assuring themselves of some level of quality. The only way to assure yourself your FLAC files are actually from the lossless source is to buy them as discs and rip them yourself. When you download, legally or not, you have no idea if they are the real thing or just lossy files converted back to FLAC.

There's ways you can attempt to find out if the files are from the original lossless source but there's always a margin of error and the time taken in analysis is going to be more than just doing a rip yourself. Buy the disc, set up a quality ripper and do it yourself is the way to go. Then you know that it's the real deal. If you do anything else you're just settling for what may be less.

BTW, there's exactly one question mark in all of the original post. That question was directed at Kizune. I don't see any other questions posed that are being ignored. No one can attempt to answer questions that aren't asked.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 AM

Yeah I gave up trying to find the specific questions.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The sad state to me is that anyone thinks that by downloading a file that is in FLAC format that they believe they are assuring themselves of some level of quality. The only way to assure yourself your FLAC files are actually from the lossless source is to buy them as discs and rip them yourself. When you download, legally or not, you have no idea if they are the real thing or just lossy files converted back to FLAC.

There's ways you can attempt to find out if the files are from the original lossless source but there's always a margin of error and the time taken in analysis is going to be more than just doing a rip yourself. Buy the disc, set up a quality ripper and do it yourself is the way to go. Then you know that it's the real deal. If you do anything else you're just settling for what may be less.
True, transcoding is a horrible thing. That said, the way to ensure one is receiving quality music from a download (outside of spectral analysis) is to be a member of a community that demands it (with plenty of other members that are willing to do spectral analysis, and members found to be uploading inferior files are banned).

Such communities do exist (both legal and otherwise), I am a member of several of them.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Don't see a word there that makes me change my opinion any. Spectral analysis has it's weaknesses.. You're reduced to looking at a picture of the music rather than the 99.9% assurance you get from ripping your own files. I wouldn't want to count on it as a source of assurance that my files hadn't been transcoded. The 99.9%? That's because there have been commercial discs that have been shown to have been sourced from lossy files.

Each person has their standard as to what makes them comfortable when it comes to obtaining files. If downloads and analyzing the files visually is what you like, go for it.

I have tons of lossy files from legit sources that sound just fine to me. I don't bother eating up bandwidth or disc space acquiring supposedly lossless files though. Too much chance I'd end up with something no better than a lossy download that just takes up more space.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:59 PM

Help

Warning: Huge Giant Post Ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DietSalem View Post
Something I learned a long time ago online but still have a hard time doing myself is that everything works better with better results if you just be punctual. Say what you need to say in less than ten lines of text. You see, by line two roughly 30% of all of your readers have already stopped reading.

Don't worry though, you have a habit of picking someone back up with each paragraph that you do. Most people tend to read the very last word as well as the first three words of every paragraph. That's something to keep in mind.
It all goes back to a story of my childhood. ~ - and ultimately that got my heart broken.

Well, Maxiumus, don't get your heart broken. Be punctual. Let people know what you need and quickly. Don't be like me and have to walk home in the rain - and MP3 playerless to boot!

OH! And to answer your question, iunno. I'm pretty new to this whole mp3 audiophile crap. Just get a clip+. Spend the rest of the money on booze getting over Autumn like I do .
Good Advice I suppose...that said... why did you recount to me a long story just to get to the point which you present in an opposite fashion? So Confused. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
First, read this: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68675 Second, I didn't answer because you put Kizune's name in the title of your thread,...why name a member/mod??? It's like calling a person out,...
TTYL,...
Can you name anyone else who has experience with both the inside workings and visual out sides of Cowon devices ALONG WITH hands on experience with the Z2 for that past couple months? That is why. Thank you for the link... though I apparently have seen it before since I have it bookmarked. >_>
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutescream View Post
Kizune explained the differences between the Z2 and the J3 for me quite well, here. It was enough to convince me to go for a J3, instead of waiting for the Z2 to be released.

As for expanding your flac collection with commercial music, there are no places I know of that you can buy songs in that format... But, there are plenty of places out there that you can download them from.
I'm not going to violate forum policy by providing links to sites with pirated audio files, though. It's a sad state of affairs, when the only way to obtain a quality product is to either buy another product and go through a lot of work, or to do something illegal to obtain it.
Thank you for that link.
As for the rest...Crap. :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post

BTW, there's exactly one question mark in all of the original post. That question was directed at Kizune. I don't see any other questions posed that are being ignored. No one can attempt to answer questions that aren't asked.
Not necessarily true. As stated the .flac files that I do have are from the site Bandcamp which requires those who upload their music as a lossless file which can then be converted into a "MP3 (320, VBR V0), Ogg Vorbis, Apple Lossless, FLAC and AAC (aka .m4a or iTunes store format)" directly from the site. So in your concern of Location Location Location... yes I know. Can you (or anyone here really) recommend a high quality ripping program?

I have direct questions...and general questions which are directed to anyone willing to answer. I am seeking -in a very broad sense- knowledge...which makes it hard to know what are the best questions to ask. So I simply state concerns and thoughts and hope that a question can be inferred. I apologize if this methodology has made it hard to discern what to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutescream View Post
True, transcoding is a horrible thing. That said, the way to ensure one is receiving quality music from a download (outside of spectral analysis) is to be a member of a community that demands it (with plenty of other members that are willing to do spectral analysis, and members found to be uploading inferior files are banned).

Such communities do exist (both legal and otherwise), I am a member of several of them.
If you could point me in the legal direction It would be very much welcomed.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Illegal download discussions are forbidden on this site!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 PM

Than...its a good thing that I don't roll that way!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lol!!! Werd!!!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Nothing violating forum rules I can see here. Someone can say they have connections to a site that has questionable downloads as long as they don't name that site or link to it. The main idea isn't illegal downloads anyway. It's about how to build a library of high quality tracks. As long as we stay on that concept the thread is well within bounds.

Bandcamp, Jamendo and other sites like them are that online distribution network that so many have talked about. They allow the artists to connect directly to their fans without adding to the fatcats wallets. There's a tremendous power in the mindset that the record labels aren't the only way to get good music. I think any real music fan needs to get behind them and push.

As far as top quality ripping programs take a look at this WAY too long post of mine. It lists a number of the top rippers. I didn't mention CueTool's CueRipper there but I think it deserves consideration if you're interested in secure ripping. CueTools 2.14 was recently released and the added features and bug fixes raised it to a solid contender for me.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I"Maxiumus"d View Post
Good Advice I suppose...that said... why did you recount to me a long story just to get to the point which you present in an opposite fashion? So Confused. :P
I'd link you to the definition of irony but I hate people who do that.

Tags
cowon, flac, j3, kizune, z2