android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 05-03-2012, 12:30 PM

Default Is there a keyboard that can be configured for larger fingers?

Hi all,
I have a hard time typing on the small keyboard of my SGP 4.0, as I have big fingers and I kept hitting the key next to the one I wanted.

Now I am wondering if there is a keyboard that lets me configure it such that, for example, only a few pixels in the center of each key is sensitive?
In other words, I have to hit each key right in the center for it to register. This way, if I accidently hit the key close to it, it won't register?

Is there something like this?
Thank you.
-mike-

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-03-2012, 12:49 PM

Maybe something like this?
http://androidandme.com/2010/03/news...r-fat-fingers/

Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Thanks. For some reasons, when I went to Google market, it said "this app is not compatible with you device YP-G1"...

It showed up on my PC browser, but not on my SGP market store.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by testrider View Post
Thanks. For some reasons, when I went to Google market, it said "this app is not compatible with you device YP-G1"...

It showed up on my PC browser, but not on my SGP market store.
That compatibility checker is not always accurate...http://www.nothingbuttablets.com/9040

Old 05-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
That compatibility checker is not always accurate...http://www.nothingbuttablets.com/9040
How do I get around? It didn't show up for me to install it?
Thanks!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testrider View Post
How do I get around? It didn't show up for me to install it?
Thanks!
Find apps from alternative places,there are tons of places to get apps from by Googling them.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 PM

There are probably other similar apps that are compatible with your device so have a look around for them too.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:51 PM

test: I've never done it but if you log onto a website from your PC and there are apps available, you can dl them to your google account and they should show up on your device. As I said, I've never done it.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:11 PM

I tried but it wouldn't work. For ex, I think this keyboard may work for me: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...VrZXlib2FyZCJd

But google market said it's incompatible so I couldn't install. I searched on the web and everybody links it back to google market and there is no other place I could download...
Download from a PC didn't work either as when I click on 'install' it wouldn't let me save it..

Old 05-03-2012, 05:23 PM

I also have large fingers (though I also have the 5.0). But I also had the problem you describe with the stock keyboard. Haven't found a perfect solution, but Swype was a big improvement for me. Since it is predicting words from the path of your finger it seems fairly forgiving of imprecise "targeting". Also seems faster than tapping to me. I think some models came with Swype preinstalled as an optional input method. If not, you can get it from the devs here: https://beta.swype.com/android/welcome/detailed/

Old 05-03-2012, 06:28 PM

Try a keyboard called Hackers Keyboard found at the Google Market. It is customizable and you can make it large- the problem though is that it takes up a good portion of the screen and leaves little of the text entry window visible if it is too large. So far this keyboard has been much better for me than the stock or Swype keyboard.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:41 PM

I know that the ice cream sandwich keyboard (non-free version) by johntanmi can be themed and you can increase the height of the keyboard (aka, increase the key size). It costs 1.99, and I ran the free version for quite some time.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:34 AM

Thank you all, for your inputs and comments. I appreciate them all. Since the SGP 4 came preinstalled with Swype so tonight I gave it a try again and after practicing for 1/2 hour, I was able to enter text much faster than any other keyboards I have tried. I think I will use it for a while and see how I like it.