android
Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 PM

Default Track my running with SGP ?

Hello,

I'm currently looking for a new MP3 player, and I must say that SGP is really interesting.

My only remaining question is: since a GPS is included in the device, is there an application that could track my running and/or biking ? As I don't want to buy a smartphone, that would be awesome.

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-04-2012, 01:09 PM

There is a GPS, and you could buy an app, to track your running/bike.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:17 PM

I understand it'll be fairly easy to install.

Have you tried it ? I'd really like to hear from someone who already tested sucessfully with an app.

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabed View Post
I understand it'll be fairly easy to install.

Have you tried it ? I'd really like to hear from someone who already tested sucessfully with an app.

Thanks.
I use mytracks by Google on my galaxu nexus. Its free, and integrates nicely with Google maps and will upload your runs automatically to google docs for online viewing.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:02 PM

Without wifi if the app requires Google maps you will have no access to Google maps while running. You may be able to cache the map of your area, but I cannot tell you if a tracking app will then work with the cached map. A smartphone has a continuous data connection to do this - the SGPs do not.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
Without wifi if the app requires Google maps you will have no access to Google maps while running. You may be able to cache the map of your area, but I cannot tell you if a tracking app will then work with the cached map. A smartphone has a continuous data connection to do this - the SGPs do not.
That is exactly what I want to know. I want to know if it can cache my running, then, upload it when wifi is available when I get back to home.

Has someone done this with the Galaxy Player ? Using Endomondo, RunKeeper, MyTracks or any other app ?

If someone could confirm they've successfully done it, I'll be happy.

Thanks !!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
You don't need data access unless you want to see the map. I've used it in the mountains where I had no reception. You can record a trail, then sync the GPS coordinates to google maps later.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:04 AM

I've downloaded this one, CardioTrainer. I've used it only a few times so far, and I kind of wonder how accurate it is. It shows a lot fewer calories burned than i would expect. But it seems like a pretty simple interface and is easy to use.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=cardio+trainer

Old 05-06-2012, 11:37 PM

To answer your question: I use Endomondo for running and cycling with my yp-gb1 and then upload the data when I get home and connect to the wifi.
It's a really nice app. I have a bluetooth Polar heartrate chest strap and connect effortlessly.
They added interval training recently. Hopefully they'll add heart-rate based interval training soon.
A word of warning, untill they do something about it, deleting a previously uploaded workout from the website is near on impossible to re-upload from your device.
Regarding utilizing cached google maps; that too will probably come in time. A slight workaround is to start Endomondo whille connected to wifi, a map will show, keep Endomondo running and do your workout. But if you restart the app in off-line mode the map will be lost.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:25 AM

Thanks to all. Greatly appreciated.