android
Old 05-04-2012, 12:49 PM

Default Questions about the Samsung Galaxy 5.0

My Sansa fuze just died.

So. I need a new player and the Galaxy Player series looks promising. I'm strongly considering a 5.0, except that one problem that I keep running into are dead and dying batteries. How "difficult" is it to replace the battery if need be? Like, are the only thing I have to worry about screws? Or is there soldering involved? Are there replacements available?

I plan on using it as an mp3 player, for its wifi (for general browsing and Skype), and as an e-reader.(And I suppose it shouldn't even be said, but I'd rather have something that won't likely break within a few years after moderate usage if I'm paying triple figures for it.)

Also, has anyone heard anything about the Player 70? I'm currently livin in Korea atm, so it is available. Paying over $200 for a player is...well, I'd rather not pay more for the device than I did for my netbook, is all. It'd really have to be really good.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-04-2012, 01:31 PM

theres a teardown of the 5.0 around here somewhere, if I remember right the battery connections are soldered, plus there is the bigger issue of finding a replacement battery at all for the 5.0

read this thread http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...light=teardown

Old 05-04-2012, 05:58 PM

The battery of the SGP 5 is not made to be replaced. It MAY be possible that Samsung will replace the battery - but there is nothing from Samsung offering such service. As has been posted above, there are photos that owners have taken of the inside of the SGP 5. The battery is hard wired/soldered to the circuit board. So far no battery company is offering a battery to replace the one inside the SGP 5.0. If you want to be able to replace the battery in your SGP - buy the SGP 4. That does have a user replaceable battery and has the same features of the SGP5 with a smaller screen.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:56 PM

Thanks for the replies.

How's the 4.0 as an e-reader? I guess that's my only reservation with that model

Old 05-05-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alljokingaside View Post
Thanks for the replies.

How's the 4.0 as an e-reader? I guess that's my only reservation with that model
the kindle app works fine on it (4.0) but I really haven't put any time into reading on it so I can't comment on eye strain, I honestly feel if your serious about ereading you should drop the 80 bucks for a standard kindle, they have INSANE battery life, and no COLOR screen can compete with the e-ink display when it comes to reading a entire book.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 AM

Yeah. I'd echo almost everything here. I came from a Sansa Fuze and loved it but battery life was getting a bit low after 3 years or so.

I bought a 5.0 last December and never looked back. It's awesome. And I do a good bit of e-reading with it. I think that it's on the limit of what is comfortable for e-reading. It works, you can vary the font size and so forth, and it's convenient, because it's always with you and it fits in your pocket (unlike a Kindle). but I would think the 4.0 would be difficult and small. Even the 5.0 is WAY inferior to a Kindle. Of course everyone's preferences are different. Daniel's comments above seem to make a lot of sense. If I was very seriously reading ebooks a lot, I would go for the kindle black and white. The visibility on those screens in daylight is just amazing.
On the other hand, I have the OverDrive free app for my 5.0, and can check out e-books from my library on-line for free. which is pretty awesome. It pisses me off that with Amazon, etc, ebooks you have to pay almost the full retail cost of a real paper book, and you can't even share it with anyone (unlike mp3 files or real books or audio books). I mean, it's a great situation for publishers and writers, but I think it sort-of sucks for consumers. Especially in a rough economy. I, for one, can't afford to buy everything I read as e-books!

The 4.0 is reported to have better sound quality than the 5.0. We got spoiled on the Sansa fuze; the sq was great on those. The 4.0 has a Wolfson digital to analog chip and the 5.0 has a Yamaha. I feel like the 5.0 does a good job but not as good as the Fuze. I have not personally compared the 4 and the 5 side by side except for about 10 minutes in the Best Buy store. The 5.0 is good, it just seems to lack a little bit of detail or presence.

And, at least on the 5.0, the stock camera apps pretty much sucks. The shutter lag is REALLY long. Just forget about taking photos of kids...and it freezes fairly often...especially, it seems, when opened in landscape mode.

And the battery is not replaceable. Which sucks.
But, on the Plus side: (!)
+ The 2500 mAh battery is awesome and lasts a LONG time
+ Netflix viewing is awesome. As well as YouTube
+ On board Music Player is not bad at all. Lot of complaints and people love to mess with WinAmp and Power Amp, etc, but I think it does a really good job with a goo UI.
+ Screen is great. Nice and big. feels like a micro-tablet.
+ I've got K-9 email client added for my personal email accounts and use the on-board email client for work/Exchange and it does a very good job with sync to Exchange.
+ the stock clock has great alarm options and flexibility
+ Integrated clender syncs to Google Calendar. Awesome.
+ All contacts, Facebook, Skype, synced...
+ The Market (opps...the "Play" ??? ) has so many apps for free or cheap. Your media player becomes VERY, VERY useful for a whole BUNCH of stuff.
I've got a good guitar tuner, police radio scanner, international radio stations, calorie counter, scientific calculator, flashlight, WWII Enigma Code Machine, ebay, Craigslist, Craigslist Notifier, Amazon, Amazon mp3, Wifi analyser, GPS anaylser, Dolphin HD browser (great!), budget app, great FM radio, Kindle, Pandora,Soundhound, Evernote, Dropbox, Sketchbook Mobile (sort-of Photoshop Lite), Tape MAchine (high quality sound recording and editing), Cam Scanner (makes pdfs), Out of Mile (grocery list app), Compass, Google Maps (really works very well without data...wifi only) and more.

Overall, I am REALLY happy with the 5.0. I have not rooted and running stock seems fine for me. I'd say go for the 5. The added screen size makes things a lot easier on the eye and fingers. I have small hands and I can still hit everything with finger or thumb of one hand no problem. And it still fits in your pocket or on your belt no problem. You get that Korean model you'll have HDMI output!!! Rest of us don't get that in USA or International Version.

Other reviews on this forum and at Android Forums\Forums\Other Android Devices\Samsung Galaxy Players
Have fun. Android is great and these are both GREAT values for the money.
Essentially a larger Galaxy SII without the phone for about a quarter of the cost.

Also, regarding your question about the 7.0...I have not put my grubby hands on one but I would think that you're not going to get that in your pants pocket...so it really becomes a small tablet. You need to carry in your hands or in a "man-purse". for me, although the big screen would be awesome, it's not worth the sacrifice in portability.

And lastly...Skype works great on the 5.0.

Last edited by Blackdog; 05-07-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:57 AM

Thanks for all the replies, and Blackdog, for the comprehensive reviews.

So, as it stands, I'm choosing between the 5.0 and 4.2, once I check them out at the local store. I'm vainly hoping that the 4.2 has a Wolfson chip. Or maybe not, since deciding between the two'd be that much easier then. Like, the only things I'm planning on using the Player for (and since this'd be my first PMP, Android, etc. [ie anything more advanced than a stock Fuze or Creative Zen =p (my cheeks are burning cherry red) or a flip phone (unacquainted with the world of touch screens and smartphones)]) atm is music, wifi phone/wifi, and as an e-reader. Everything else is like uncharted waters for me.

(To continue the self-flagellation [and since it's somewhat relevant to the following question], I didn't even realize that mp3 players like the iPod touch existed [ie with wifi and etc] until this year. Seriously. Apparently, me and caves go together like peas in a rusting aluminum can)

I guess the last question I have atm is whether or not I should go for the US version or go for the Korean version. For the 5.0, I'm leaning towards the US model, due to price ($199+shipping and possible VAT/import tax [ugh] for the 5.0) vs ($290 (!!!) for the YP-GB70) and development/support. That's my question- on the support and development end, would I be better off going through the hassle of import and int'l shipping? (I am in no way fluent enough in Korean to wade through the Korean boards...) Like, I'm a complete amateur when it comes to this (ie custom ROMs, etc), so I'm wondering how different the "experience" would be if I went one way or the other? (or e.g. if I went for YP-GI1 or the much, much cheaper $150ish YP-GB1, on sale at the local Samsung)

Last edited by alljokingaside; 05-11-2012 at 05:07 AM.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:06 PM

Unless your in Korea, or you just really want the option of choosing a higher internal capacity (ie 16 GB instead of the standard 8 GB models), there you really don't want the Korean Version for several reasons.

1.Little to no Custom ROMs, Kernels they are all developed for the International and US models.
2.Useless hardware, the Digital tv tuner built into the Korean model ONLY works on Korean broadcasts
3.Like you stated above the cost is much higher.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:34 PM

I believe the Korean model also has slightly better camera resolution, but this probably still does not justify the negatives particularly cost.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwatch View Post
I believe the Korean model also has slightly better camera resolution, but this probably still does not justify the negatives particularly cost.
don't quote me on this but If i remember right the korean has a 5 MP camera and can do 720p recording, but that may only be on the 5.0 Korean, and is the camera really that big a selling point for an android media player, I don't think it is, I've had my 4.0 since before christmas and don't think i've taken a dozen pics with it.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
Unless your in Korea, or you just really want the option of choosing a higher internal capacity (ie 16 GB instead of the standard 8 GB models), there you really don't want the Korean Version for several reasons.

1.Little to no Custom ROMs, Kernels they are all developed for the International and US models.
2.Useless hardware, the Digital tv tuner built into the Korean model ONLY works on Korean broadcasts
3.Like you stated above the cost is much higher.
One good reason to get it is because an HDMI cable can be connected to the Korean version.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
One good reason to get it is because an HDMI cable can be connected to the Korean version.
I thought it had that but wasn't sure, but I think if the guy is wanting to play with custom ROMs the Korean version is simply a no-go.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:55 AM

Yeah- but that HDMI out is nice. I feel we got cheated out of it here in USA.
I wonder if the camera app of the Korean version suffers the same horrible shutter lag as the USA version?
Personally I think the camera app is pretty darned good- aside from that large fault previously mentions...and slightly more than occasional freezing of the entire device. The automated panoramic sequencer is very good...video is good, lots of options for white balance, timer, exposure compensation, etc. I have been an advanced-amateur/semi-pro shooter for years and am doing more and more casual shooting with my device rather than toting along a full digital camera. If there was a fix for that shutter lag (up to 5 seconds or so...) I'd be very happy with the camera app. Especially since the SGP hardware seems to leave all other camera apps with upside-down/reversed viewfinder image. Camera 360 is a very nice app but it's hard to deal with the reversed and upside-down viewfinder.

Ah, the joys of the Android experience. Still, I prefer it to Steves' One_Size-fitz-All Apple Pharm on a 3.6" screen..