android
Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 PM

Default Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 Specs Revealed

I just checked the Samsung website and the SGP 4.2 now has its spec page up. The camera has a 3.2 mp rear camera rather than the 2 mp rear camera like cnet stated which is a good thing since so many people were complaining about the SGP 4.2 being a downgrade from the SGP 4.0. Today is also suppose to be the day preorders will be available but no online retailers have the device up. I found that a bit strange.

Heres the rest of the specs:

Operating System
Android OS Android™ (Version 2.3.5 Gingerbread)
Display
Display Resolution WVGA (800 x 480)
Display Screen Size 4.2"
Display Type LCD
Display Options Wallpaper Image Setting, Live Wallpaper, Font Setting, Auto Brightness Control
General
Storage Type Flash Memory
Memory Capacity 8GB
SD MMC Expansion Slot Up to 32GB microSD Card (not included)
Included Accessories Earphones (Mic, Play/Pause Key), USB Cable, Battery (Standard 1EA), Travel Adaptor, Quick Start Guide
Camera (Rear) 3.2MP
Camera (Front) Yes
Weight (oz) 4
Video Files AVI, MP4, 3GP, WMV, ASF, MKV, FLV
Audio Files MP3, WMA, Ogg, FLAC, AAC, WAV
Image Files JPEG, GIF, BMP, PNG
Document Files Word File (doc, docx, xml, txt, rtf, dot, dotx), Excel File (xls, xlsx, csv, xlt, xltx), PowerPoint (ppt, pptx, pot, potx, pps, ppsx), PDF
Music Options AB Repeat, Alarm Music Setting, Album Art, Playlist, Library, SoundAlive, Adjustable Play Speed
Video Options SoundAlive, Adjustable Play Speed, Bookmark
Features
Touch Screen Multi-Touch
Multi-Tasking Yes
Alarm Yes
FM Radio Yes
GPS Yes
Album Art Yes
Clock Yes
Embedded Microphone Yes
Embedded Speaker Yes
Design
Color Black
Connectivity
USB 2.0 Yes
USB Connection (MTP/UMS) Yes
Bluetooth Bluetooth 3.0
Wireless Internet Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
Samsung Kies Yes
Compatible PC OS WinXP SP2 or Higher, Vista, Windows 7
File Management
PC Application (Kies) Yes
File Navigation Yes
File Delete Yes
Library (Artist, Album, Genre, Title Sorting) Yes (Music)
Applications
Android Market Yes
General Applications Alarm/Clock, AllShare, Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Email, FM Radio, Gallery, Gmail, Google Search, Latitude, Maps, Market, Memo, Mini Diary, My Files, Navigatior, Qik, Samsung Apps, Task Manager, ThinkFree Office, Voice Recorder, YouTube etc.
Power
Battery Type Li-ion (Replaceable)
Battery Capacity 1,500 mAh
Battery Playback Time, Video (hrs) 8 hrs.
Battery Playback Time, Audio (hrs) Audio Playback: Max 60 Hr
(Default setting, MP3 128 Kbps, Volume 15, Normal Sound, Display Off)
Dimensions
Product Size (W x H x D) 2.6" x 4.89" x .35"
Weight 4 ounces

Last edited by lollicup04; 05-04-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-04-2012, 11:18 PM

Actually that's a mistake. It's only a 2MP, but I could careless about the camera. This is all the official info I'm pretty sure. I'm most likely going to pick up the 4.2 when it comes out.

http://www.samsung.com/us/system/con..._Sheets_v5.pdf

Old 05-04-2012, 11:32 PM

What makes this different or any better than the 4.0 other than a .2" difference in screen size or better or different from the 5.0 other than the replaceable battery (which the 4.0 already has). It is shipping with Gingerbread and not ICS.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
What makes this different or any better than the 4.0 other than a .2" difference in screen size or better or different from the 5.0 other than the replaceable battery (which the 4.0 already has). It is shipping with Gingerbread and not ICS.
It has a TFT-LCD (IPS Type) display. So it'll be especially nicer than the 5.0 screen. Not sure how the screen will compare with the 4.0 though. The speakers are supposed to be a bit better too. Also, I think the 4.2 is much more likely to get ICS eventually over the older Galaxy Players.

Last edited by BigMan85; 05-04-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 AM

What kind of processor does it run and speed.
how much ram?

I was hoping for a player based on the galaxy s 2 phones as a reasonable upgrade from the galaxy player 4.0 which is based on the galaxy s 1

Old 05-05-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
What kind of processor does it run and speed.
how much ram?

I was hoping for a player based on the galaxy s 2 phones as a reasonable upgrade from the galaxy player 4.0 which is based on the galaxy s 1

I just know it has 1GHZ single-core processor. Not sure how much RAM.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:37 PM

<squinting at specs page>

So, is it me or is there NO mention of the video capture capabilities of the rear camera listed anywhere on that page?

Setting aside my nerd rage for the moment, the screen size is a good compromise between 4.0 & 5.0, the speaker configuration is better for when the device is laying on it's back and they throw in a bunch of games for a device that starts @ $200 retail (the price point that the 4.0 should have been at launch.)

On the other hand, it still comes across as something they've cobbled together from spare parts left over from 2 year old phone designs.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goucham View Post

So, is it me or is there NO mention of the video capture capabilities of the rear camera listed anywhere on that page?

Setting aside my nerd rage for the moment, the screen size is a good compromise between 4.0 & 5.0, the speaker configuration is better for when the device is laying on it's back and they throw in a bunch of games for a device that starts @ $200 retail (the price point that the 4.0 should have been at launch.)

On the other hand, it still comes across as something they've cobbled together from spare parts left over from 2 year old phone designs.
Well I think the 4.2 sounds great for me. I don't care if current smartphones have a better processor that can do things a bit better. It's not worth it to get ripped off by the phone companies who way over charge for monthly phone payments. I rather just use my old phone that can text/make calls fine and pay way less a month, and use the SGP for apps, internet, etc. Having just WI-FI these days isn't bad anymore. More & more places are giving access to free wi-fi so not having 3G/4G isn't that big of a deal anymore unless you travel a lot. Some people don't like carrying 2 devices, but if your going to be saving over $400-$500 for the year it's well worth it in my opinion.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:13 PM

seeing the price point, IF there still using the same Wolfson DAC as the 4.0 then I would buy it over the 4.0, however if they switched to the yamaha or another DAC I would be careful.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
seeing the price point, IF there still using the same Wolfson DAC as the 4.0 then I would buy it over the 4.0, however if they switched to the yamaha or another DAC I would be careful.
Second that I know a few people on here wanna play down the importance of Wolfson DAC over the Yamaha. If you own the original SGS phone (i.e., Galaxy S, and Captivate, etc ...) with Voodoo sound, you HEAR the difference

Old 05-05-2012, 04:45 PM

You have to click the full specs button to see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goucham View Post

Old 05-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I noticed the battery life specs on the website are a little off compared to this.....(the pdf you can click on from the website)

The 60 hour audio figure is clearly from the 5.0 with its 2,500mAh battery, and not from the 4.2 with its 1,500mAh battery.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan85 View Post
I don't care if current smartphones have a better processor that can do things a bit better. It's not worth it to get ripped off by the phone companies who way over charge for monthly phone payments.
No objections there. I'm coming at this from the point of view of a current 4.0 owner who likes the device but wishes a few issues would be addressed. It is perhaps too early to cast judgement but so far it doesn't look as if they have. For a first time buyer though, it is shaping up like a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicup04 View Post
You have to click the full specs button to see it
They have tons of info about video playback but I'm still not seeing anything about recording. The 480p limitation on the SGP 4.0, with a sensor and processor capable of doing 720p seems artificial and I was interested to find out if this has been fixed.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:03 PM

I'm glad I've got the 4.0 and not the 4.2. I appreciate the 3.2mp camera and wouldn't tolerate having it downgraded in trade for such meager upgrades to screen size and battery life.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustusG View Post
I'm glad I've got the 4.0 and not the 4.2. I appreciate the 3.2mp camera and wouldn't tolerate having it downgraded in trade for such meager upgrades to screen size and battery life.

True. I'm fortunate enough to own a Kodak camcorder that has a 5.0 MP camera, so the camera on the SGP 4.2 doesn't really bother me at all. I think if I didn't already have the camcorder I'd maybe go with the 4.0 instead, but at the same time the 4.2 is more likely to get the ICS update over the older model. I also personally like the black color of the 4.2 more than the white on the 4.0.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustusG View Post
I've got a razr maxx with an 8 MP camera and a flash so I don't even bother with the camera on my 4.0 anymore, Truth be told the only reason I still have the SGP 4.0 at all is because of how much better the SQ is over the RAZR Maxx, well that and the battery last way longer since there are no cell radios in the 4.0

My 4.0 is now my "guinea pig" android device for testing apps and any ROMS that come up for this player, till I find the one with the best battery life.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM

Highly doubt the 4.2 is getting the ICS update. Doesn't the 4.2 have the same cpu & ram as the 4/5.0's?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

IIRC, Samsung said it would bring ICS to the 4.2.

The reason they gave for not bringing it to the other Players is that it did not have enough RAM to run ICS and TouchWiz. It may be possible that the 4.2 has 512MB or 1GB as opposed to the 384MB on the first generation ones.

My solution is to drop the TouchWiz though lol

EDIT: just googled it, The Verge says that it has 512MB of RAM, which may be enough to support ICS and TouchWiz contemporaneously, which would allow Samsung to throw ICS at it.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:05 PM

But the original galaxy s also had 512mb of RAM according to wiki so why would they upgrade the 4.2 and leave out all of the galaxy s owners. Not to mention a good number of galaxy s2 owners still don't have ics. The galaxy note has also been out for a while and still doesn't have ics, so I really wouldn't get my hopes up for ics unless it somehow ships with ics out of the box.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan85 View Post
True. I'm fortunate enough to own a Kodak camcorder that has a 5.0 MP camera, so the camera on the SGP 4.2 doesn't really bother me at all. I think if I didn't already have the camcorder I'd maybe go with the 4.0 instead, but at the same time the 4.2 is more likely to get the ICS update over the older model. I also personally like the black color of the 4.2 more than the white on the 4.0.
Ah, but assuming that you also carry a cellphone in addition to the SGP, that's 3 separate devices in your pockets all the time. I certainly wouldn't substitute the SGP for when I plan to use a dedicated camera, however, having at least the minimum for decent shots - 3.2mp - built-in is reassuring.

I was comparing the 4.0 and 4.2 based on the given specs. If the 4.2 gets ICS then I would judge it differently. As it is right now, having owned the 4.0 since December, the currently specified 4.2 is more of a downgrade than an upgrade.

Last edited by AugustusG; 05-07-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Tags
samsung galaxy player, samsung galaxy player 4.2