Default Picked up my SGP 4.2 today from Best Buy

"Samsung - Galaxy Player 4.2 with 8GB Memory - Black SKU: 5313879

Item(s) in transit to the DURHAM NEW HP COM NC store 160"

Ordered it online Sunday the 13th.

fingers crossed ...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-16-2012, 07:43 PM

Smile It's waiting for pickup

got an email from BB telling me I can come pick it up.

Will go over there tomorrow and get my new toy.

Will report more later.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:56 PM

Default Picked up my SGP 4.2 today from Best Buy

and first impressions are good.

I'm an Android noob, so I've got a lot to learn. Sold my iPod Touch 2nd edition a few months ago, because I just got sick of iTunes and the difficulty in controlling files on the Touch. [I'll admit that I'm just not an Apple fan]

First impressions:

I really like the front speakers, I did not expect great sound, but it is certainly better than what would come from one or two rear mounted ones. I will use my Klipsch Image (in the ear) phones for serious listening.

I like the size of the 4.2, and I felt that the 5.0 I handled was just too big.

more to follow after I learn enough to share objectively.

Regards

Old 05-17-2012, 08:06 PM

Can you tell us the part number of the battery please.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 PM

Please let us know what DAC it has.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:13 PM

Default Battery P/N

marty999,

EB484659VA 1500 mAh

I see that is readily available - good to know

Old 05-17-2012, 10:15 PM

Default DAC?

berklon,

sorry, I don't know how to find that. Tell me how to find it & I'll let you & the group know.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:42 PM

I also have mine from amazon, been messing with it a bit tonight, and I've posted that if someone tells me how to check the DAC mfgr I will do it ... but no one has told me how

Old 05-18-2012, 01:29 PM

Maybe you can verify for us, the number of megapixels that the rear-facing camera has.

BTW, I can see that the ports have been moved to the bottom edge. That's definitely an improvement over that aspect of the SGP4.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:40 PM

It's likely that it has a Wolfson DAC.
I asked Asktheandroidguy on youtube and he said that he can install voodoo sound without problems. no custom kernel ist required.

search the comments
http://youtu.be/KFpQMeGSdjc

Old 05-18-2012, 04:14 PM

Default Image from 4.2 rear camera

is 1600 X 1200. 1.92 megs = 2 meg (nominal?).

Fortunately, I did not buy it for the image quality, I have "real cameras" for that. <g>

Old 05-18-2012, 09:03 PM

I too have a real camera for when I plan to take photos. That's besides the point. If they're going to the trouble of including a convenience camera, they could give it at least the minimum resolution for decent shots (3.2mp).

At this point, my next mini tablet will probably be an android-powered camera (something more advanced than the new Polaroid though).

Old 05-19-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustusG View Post
I too have a real camera for when I plan to take photos. That's besides the point. If they're going to the trouble of including a convenience camera, they could give it at least the minimum resolution for decent shots (3.2mp).

At this point, my next mini tablet will probably be an android-powered camera (something more advanced than the new Polaroid though).
I really don't care about the camera on my MP3 player because I mainly will use this device to listen to music. I'm sure most people already know that megapixel size has nothing to do with the quality of the photo; it's only important if you are blowing up your photos to a huge size. A two megapixel camera will actually give you good 4 x 6 prints and is perfectly fine for e-mailing photos or posting photos on Facebook or other social media sites. For anyone interested in more information Google "Megapixel Myth".

Old 05-19-2012, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokudzu View Post
berklon,

sorry, I don't know how to find that. Tell me how to find it & I'll let you & the group know.
Hi,
if you want to know about the DAC and more info on the hw, please connect the player to a pc with android SDK installed, open a dos prompt and type:
adb shell.
It should connect to your device. Then type:
dmesg
then send the result of this command to me in pm (it should be very long).

Old 05-19-2012, 05:34 PM

I have my 4.2 player for 2 days and so far I am quite happy with the sound quality and the ease of use.

Before this player I was using the Cowon J3 and the display on the J3 was too small for me especially while driving.

Anyone here has any luck rooting it? So far I have tried superoneclock, unlockroot and couple other ones on xda and all of them had failed.

The only thing I miss on this player are the hardware button so I can go to the next track without having to physically take it out of my pocket, look at the lock screen and then skip or repeat a track. This might sounds trivial but it makes using it much more pleasurable in many situations.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetracer View Post
The only thing I miss on this player are the hardware button so I can go to the next track without having to physically take it out of my pocket, look at the lock screen and then skip or repeat a track. This might sounds trivial but it makes using it much more pleasurable in many situations.
I don't know if this helps, But Playerpro has lock screen widget that allows you to use the volume buttons as skip buttons.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetracer View Post
I have my 4.2 player for 2 days and so far I am quite happy with the sound quality and the ease of use.

Before this player I was using the Cowon J3 and the display on the J3 was too small for me especially while driving.

Anyone here has any luck rooting it? So far I have tried superoneclock, unlockroot and couple other ones on xda and all of them had failed.

Dude, I'm going to be the same way as you, I sold my Cowon J3 as my needs have changed and wanted an UNLOCKED android MP3 player. The Cowon D3 and Z2 are closed devices and would have to be rooted and must have a custom rom to unlock it - plus the economy hasn't helped anything so money is tight, so I'm not willing to hack a device and pay nearly $300. My wife said I can spend $200 and that's it for father's day. While the 4.0 is at a great deal right now ($139 on Amazon), the 4.2 better suits my wants/needs. I'm also getting a $40 discount on the unit I'm getting (insider/friend can get me it for $160 at Bestbuy), so it's a no brainer for me.

Hopefully with it's wolfson dac that is just like the J3's, I can easily make the drop into a Samsung Galaxy Player, though I already know it's going to be a bit hard... Cowon has the best sounding devices coupled with their bbe+ enhancements, I'm really going to miss that enhanced sound quality. I really hope that some sort of software will help me and you transition easily - I keep hearing about this voodoo app that might not need a custom rom...

Last edited by da1writer; 05-19-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:58 PM

I have and old cowen player and I find poweramp app combined with free equalizer app for soundstage and bass boost sounds pretty close to it on my 5.0.I dont use any equalization.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I bet if you took a Coby player's guts out of it and put it into the another shell, and told people it had a Wolfson chip, that it would be pronounced a world-beater....lol.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I bet if you took a Coby player's guts out of it and put it into the another shell, and told people it had a Wolfson chip, that it would be pronounced a world-beater....lol.
True dat!!!