android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 05-18-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan85 View Post
So which should I get the 4.0 or the 4.2?
Only you can answer that Not trying to be difficult here, but ... really, it depends on your needs & desires
Quote:
Is the web browser better on the 4.2?
They are the same, except on the 4.0 it is on a slightly smaller, slightly brighter screen, with slightly worse speakers if it is multimedia.
Quote:
And is the 4.2 guaranteed to get ICS because if they are I may get the 4.2 instead.
It is neither guaranteed nor ruled out on either model. Some think it's more likely to be on 4.2 because it will likely be a "current" model longer. But that is just speculation.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-18-2012, 04:13 PM

Well I just ordered the 4.0. The $139.99 price was too good to pass up. With the better screen and more powerful GPU, it was a steal. There was no point in spending an extra $60 just for a bit better speakers & battery life, but a worse screen & less powerful device. I think I made the right decision.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddnhead View Post
My rapidly forming conclusion is that the 4.0 is definitely better for games, but the 4.2 is probably the better MP3 player & casual web surfing platform, due to stereo speakers, longer battery life, larger screen, slightly smaller size. We got it last night & were listening to some tunes on it, those speakers are great. Though that video illustrates that the Super Clear LCD on the 4.0 is also nicer (though android guy didn't say anything about it, so I suppose it could have been viewing angle or brightness or something)

Does anyone have any thoughts on how big a limitation the slower graphics is for watching youtube videos or DVD rips? I'm thinking/hoping it may not be a big deal, based on my experience with building HTPCs (mine can show HD video on Win Media Center even on a pokey Atom & on board graphics). As soon as I can pry it away from my daughter (we got it yesterday but she barely let me look at it last night, she was too excited) I'll try stuff myself, but I would love to hear others' thoughts on that. If the graphics are more than enough for that, I think I may stick with the 4.2 for my daughter, since she is a "social/entertainment" computer user (music, videos, facebook, video chat, etc), not much of a gamer. The Need for Speed and FIFA soccer bundled with it only held her attention for a little while, for example, and she spent the rest of the time listening to music. Also I have a little extra incentive than most to stick with the 4.2 since I already have it, and because Amazon's order system got screwed up & I had to call three times because it was "stuck" (I ultimately had to cancel and re-place the order to get it to ship), in the end they gave me a $20 discount so it only cost me $180 I think though that a final decision hinges on how the two cameras compare ...
The samsung galaxy player 4.0 was proved to have better audio quality from the speakers. The superclear lcd is MUCH BRIGHTER as well. i mean he 4.2 has a nice screen but the 4.0 is just unusually bright. it was even shown to be literally twice as bright as the galaxy s2. the difference in gpu wont be too noticeable with games like doodle jump and MABEY temple run, but try playing any 3d games like racing, shooters etc and the gpu superiority on the 4.0 is easily evident (about 3x as fast as the 4.2)). the browser performance will be similar due to similar cpu's but naturally the 4.0 does noticeably better with flash playback. But as far as video playback on then device they use there dsp's for that so it would be similar on both bu the 4.0 wuld play hd more consistently at 30 fps. And honestly the 3.2 mp auto focus camera is much better than the 2mp fixed focus camera on he 4.2. the video capabliltys (hq vs vga) are also better on the 4.0. The 4.0 is simplay better anyway u look at it. The 4.0 is also more future proof. And with the 4.0 being $50 cheaper as well i have no idea why u should take the 4.2 over it.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTehk17 View Post
I don't think it would matter. The CPU is mainly used for that task, and they seem to be about the same speed on the 4.0/4.2.
no the cpu is not used for that task at all. the device would over heat and it would play at 5fps....the dsp (ARMs NEON Simd is used for that task)

Old 05-18-2012, 11:34 PM

OK then, I was wrong. Thanks for correcting me.

4.2 should still have no issues playing YouTube videos.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Samsung officially stated they will NOT be bringing ICS to the 4.0 or 5.0, in case you were wondering. The 4.2 is still up in the air. Don't hold your breath if you ask me.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm not sure what I'm more tired of hearing.... the endless hype about Wolfson DAC chips supposedly being the best thing since sliced bread, or questions about ICS coming in the future for the Galaxy players.....lol.

I think the only way you'll see it on one of these players is the Cyanogenmod method....I don't think these players have the internals to handle ICS unless you bypass Touchwiz.

If Samsung wants to prove me wrong, of course, I would be happy to admit my error.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Samsung officially stated they will NOT be bringing ICS to the 4.0 or 5.0, in case you were wondering. The 4.2 is still up in the air. Don't hold your breath if you ask me.
where did you see this?

Old 05-19-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I'm not sure what I'm more tired of hearing.... the endless hype about Wolfson DAC chips supposedly being the best thing since sliced bread, or questions about ICS coming in the future for the Galaxy players.....lol.

I think the only way you'll see it on one of these players is the Cyanogenmod method....I don't think these players have the internals to handle ICS unless you bypass Touchwiz.

If Samsung wants to prove me wrong, of course, I would be happy to admit my error.
The reason y we make such a big deal about the wolfsonn is because it's either that or the horrible Yamaha....

Old 05-19-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsmith11 View Post
where did you see this?
I researched this after seeing him post it before. I don't believe they ever said they would NOT do it. They just don't have it on the list of devices that they have committed that they WOULD do it for.

Not saying you will do it != Saying you won't do it.

Quote:
The samsung galaxy player 4.0 was proved to have better audio quality from the speakers. The superclear lcd is MUCH BRIGHTER as well. i mean he 4.2 has a nice screen but the 4.0 is just unusually bright. it was even shown to be literally twice as bright as the galaxy s2. the difference in gpu wont be too noticeable with games like doodle jump and MABEY temple run, but try playing any 3d games like racing, shooters etc and the gpu superiority on the 4.0 is easily evident (about 3x as fast as the 4.2)). the browser performance will be similar due to similar cpu's but naturally the 4.0 does noticeably better with flash playback. But as far as video playback on then device they use there dsp's for that so it would be similar on both bu the 4.0 wuld play hd more consistently at 30 fps. And honestly the 3.2 mp auto focus camera is much better than the 2mp fixed focus camera on he 4.2. the video capabliltys (hq vs vga) are also better on the 4.0. The 4.0 is simplay better anyway u look at it. The 4.0 is also more future proof. And with the 4.0 being $50 cheaper as well i have no idea why u should take the 4.2 over it.
Wow. Yes the 4.0 has some things that are clearly better than the 4.2, but ... come on. This post is just saturated with exaggeration:

1. "The samsung galaxy player 4.0 was proved to have better audio quality from the speakers." WTF? That is COMPLETE bull IMO. The speakers are the best part of the 4.2. Where was this "proved?"
  2. "it was even shown to be literally twice as bright as the galaxy s2." It's brighter, but ... twice as bright??? It's the same kind of screen as on the 5.0 you know ... does that screen suck so bad too? Where was this "shown?"
  3. "the gpu superiority on the 4.0 is easily evident (about 3x as fast as the 4.2)" Uh ... maybe 50% better, not 300% (3x) better? that's what AndroiGuy's testing showed anyway. So where do you get this "easily evident" info?
I'm just gonna stop there.

Last edited by skip252; 05-19-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: posts merged, please edit consecutive posts instead of multiposting

Old 05-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The reason y we make such a big deal about the wolfsonn is because it's either that or the horrible Yamaha....
It's not "horrible".

Old 05-19-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Oh, they have the internals. Samsung is just making excuses when they say that the hardware is not powerful enough.

Yes, I would agree that rooting and flashing is probably the only way the Players will get Android 4.0. Someone already compiled Android 4.0 for either the 4.0 or 5.0 (not sure which device). So even if Samsung does release an Android 4.0 update for the Player 4.2, I bet someone will have compiled it themselves already. I would do it myself if I had one.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I researched this after seeing him post it before. I don't believe they ever said they would NOT do it. They just don't have it on the list of devices that they have committed that they WOULD do it for.

Not saying you will do it != Saying you won't do it.

Wow. Yes the 4.0 has some things that are clearly better than the 4.2, but ... come on. This post is just saturated with exaggeration:

1. "The samsung galaxy player 4.0 was proved to have better audio quality from the speakers." WTF? That is COMPLETE bull IMO. The speakers are the best part of the 4.2. Where was this "proved?"
  2. "it was even shown to be literally twice as bright as the galaxy s2." It's brighter, but ... twice as bright??? It's the same kind of screen as on the 5.0 you know ... does that screen suck so bad too? Where was this "shown?"
  3. "the gpu superiority on the 4.0 is easily evident (about 3x as fast as the 4.2)" Uh ... maybe 50% better, not 300% (3x) better? that's what AndroiGuy's testing showed anyway. So where do you get this "easily evident" info?
I'm just gonna stop there.
The 4.0 screen is not the same as the 5.0 screen. 4.0 is super clear LCD and 5.0 is TFT LCD. Seriously I would like to know why you people would buy the 4.2 over the 4.0 (except of the speakers and the .2 inch screen.)

Old 05-19-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Oh, they have the internals. Samsung is just making excuses when they say that the hardware is not powerful enough.

Yes, I would agree that rooting and flashing is probably the only way the Players will get Android 4.0. Someone already compiled Android 4.0 for either the 4.0 or 5.0 (not sure which device). So even if Samsung does release an Android 4.0 update for the Player 4.2, I bet someone will have compiled it themselves already. I would do it myself if I had one.
Its not that the hardware is not powerful enough. I think it's because of the same reason of the original SGS. It's because the SGS dosen't have enough space for touchwiz ICS.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Processing, both are about the same. But the 4.0 and 5.0 are better at graphics- the 4.2 has an SGX530 GPU compared to the 4.0/5.0's 540.

Camera is also better on the 4.0/5.0. The 4.2 has slightly worse clarity and is fixed focus. But really, camera should not be a deciding factor for the purchase of any of these.

One other thing is that the 4.0 has a Super Clear LCD while the 4.2 has a normal LCD.
1. It's been mentioned numerous times that the CPU is actually better (upgraded) in the 4.2 than the 4.0. The 4.2 is alot snappier according to asktheandroidguy.

2. Just because the 4.0 has a Super Clear LCD, doesn't mean it's better than the 4.2. The 4.2 is not JUST a normal LCD - it's an IPS LCD. I have a tablet with an IPS+ display and it looks great. It's like saying a "Retina Display" looks better than Super AMOLED.

Just like you, could care less about the camera - got a 16mp one that takes pictures loads better than any phone/mp3 player and it has wifi built in.

Gaming on this is not something I'm going to use on the 4.2 (or 4.0/5.0 is I had one of those.) Reason why - I have a tablet with a Tegra 3, I play games and emulators alot better than numerous other devices on the market right now. So argument moot imo for me at least...

I'm looking for a good android mp3 player (not a phone) for my wifi music needs (shoutcasts/podcasts/pandora, etc.), checking my social apps quickly when I'm not near my tablet - same with surfing the web. Game time on Device = 0hrs, Camera time on device = 0hrs. Need something a bit bigger than 4.0 but not as huge as 5.0 (I got a Vita already for that 5.0 screen size, don't need another). The 4.2 seems to be the perfect fit for me and glad the speakers are in the front (better sound quality) - perfect since 90% of handheld devices speaker/s are in the back. Wolfson chip ftw, I'll be using the 4.2 as my new mp3 player too with my 64gb micro sd.

P.S. Would also like to mention that the 4.2 has been stated by Samsung to be the first of the Galaxy Players that WILL get an ICS upgrde before the other devices they have in regards to Galaxy Players (4.0/5.0). The 4.2 also eeks out 6 more hours for audio theoretically (4.0 = 36hrs / 4.2 = 40hrs).

Last edited by da1writer; 05-19-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1writer View Post
1. It's been mentioned numerous times that the CPU is actually better (upgraded) in the 4.2 than the 4.0. The 4.2 is alot snappier according to asktheandroidguy.

2. Just because the 4.0 has a Super Clear LCD, doesn't mean it's better than the 4.2. The 4.2 is not JUST a normal LCD - it's an IPS LCD. I have a tablet with an IPS+ display and it looks great. It's like saying a "Retina Display" looks better than Super AMOLED.

Just like you, could care less about the camera - got a 16mp one that takes pictures loads better than any phone/mp3 player and it has wifi built in.

Gaming on this is not something I'm going to use on the 4.2 (or 4.0/5.0 is I had one of those.) Reason why - I have a tablet with a Tegra 3, I play games and emulators alot better than numerous other devices on the market right now. So argument moot imo for me at least...

I'm looking for a good android mp3 player (not a phone) for my wifi music needs (shoutcasts/podcasts/pandora, etc.), checking my social apps quickly when I'm not near my tablet - same with surfing the web. Game time on Device = 0hrs, Camera time on device = 0hrs. Need something a bit bigger than 4.0 but not as huge as 5.0 (I got a Vita already for that 5.0 screen size, don't need another). The 4.2 seems to be the perfect fit for me and glad the speakers are in the front (better sound quality) - perfect since 90% of handheld devices speaker/s are in the back. Wolfson chip ftw, I'll be using the 4.2 as my new mp3 player too with my 64gb micro sd.

P.S. Would also like to mention that the 4.2 has been stated by Samsung to be the first of the Galaxy Players that WILL get an ICS upgrde before the other devices they have in regards to Galaxy Players (4.0/5.0). The 4.2 also eeks out 6 more hours for audio theoretically (4.0 = 36hrs / 4.2 = 40hrs).
Where do they said they will get ICS. Samsung only said that it has a possibility to get ICS (which maybe they won't give anyway.)

Old 05-19-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
Where do they said they will get ICS. Samsung only said that it has a possibility to get ICS (which maybe they won't give anyway.)
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400827,00.asp

It mentions that Samsung plans a ics upgrade, just not right now. It also states the upgraded processor I mentioned before (ie the 4.2 has a faster processor than the 4.0/5.0). The Spec sheet on Samsungs website mentions an IPS Display for the 4.2, which is fantastic news imo as I love my tablets ips display.

The only downgrade I guess is the gpu (could care less as I mentioned before, don't plan on playing any games on it), and weaker camera ( again, don't care - got a way better camera that is 16mp w/ wifi). I'm using this as a mp3+ player, So sound quality and a few wifi capabilities is all I'm looking for at a good price.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400827,00.asp

It mentions that Samsung plans a ics upgrade, just not right now. It also states the upgraded processor I mentioned before (ie the 4.2 has a faster processor than the 4.0/5.0). The Spec sheet on Samsungs website mentions an IPS Display for the 4.2, which is fantastic news imo as I love my tablets ips display.

The only downgrade I guess is the gpu (could care less as I mentioned before, don't plan on playing any games on it), and weaker camera ( again, don't care - got a way better camera that is 16mp w/ wifi). I'm using this as a mp3+ player, So sound quality and a few wifi capabilities is all I'm looking for at a good price.
Seriously both have their pros and cons, it just depends on your needs. I like the super clear lcd on my device and the viewing angles are great (didin't saw the 4.2 as I don't live in the US) and I play some time too. But the only thing I don't like is the speakers at the back but I don't listen often to the speakers (only when I play.)

Old 05-19-2012, 03:13 PM

i would rather have the 4.0

Old 05-19-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Don't pay too much attention to those of us who seem a bit irked. If you look at it by itself, the 4.2 is a competitively priced mini-media player with a few extra features thrown in. Good form factor, good features. The disappointment only creeps in when you compare it to what came before and the realization that Samsung could have made a truly top notch device but have instead chosen to cut corners to get a better price point.

I personally like the design changes made with the body of the 4.2 (proper front speakers are a good thing) but for an existing 4.0 owner this isn't so much of an upgrade as it is a re-imagining.

Quote:
The benchmarks would indicate that there isn't much that separates the two in terms of raw number crunching abilities. A snappy interface could just as easily be attributed to the newer version of TouchWiz (the one on the SGP 4.0 is pretty old.)