android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 05-19-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
Don't pay too much attention to those of us who seem a bit irked. If you look at it by itself, the 4.2 is a competitively priced mini-media player with a few extra features thrown in. Good form factor, good features. The disappointment only creeps in when you compare it to what came before and the realization that Samsung could have made a truly top notch device but have instead chosen to cut corners to get a better price point.

I personally like the design changes made with the body of the 4.2 (proper front speakers are a good thing) but for an existing 4.0 owner this isn't so much of an upgrade as it is a re-imagining.

The benchmarks would indicate that there isn't much that separates the two in terms of raw number crunching abilities. A snappy interface could just as easily be attributed to the newer version of TouchWiz (the one on the SGP 4.0 is pretty old.)
True, I see that the benchmark 's are close. Seeing my signature, as you can see, I'm coming from a normal non-wifi mp3 player and going to my first wifi player. I played with the 4.0 and 5.0 at Best Buy and liked both but found the 5.0 a bit too big. Also, the 5.0 has a yamaha dac in it and I'm coming from a wolfson, which I really like. So I want a device that still uses a wolfson dac and it's then a fight between a 4.0 and the 4.2 models of the Samsung Galaxy Player.

I have an Asus Transformer Prime, so I'm extremely accustomed to the Android world already - going apple is then out of the question (nothing in my home has an apple logo). My tablet has a IPS display and looks fantastic and very sharp already. This is why I'm leaning towards the 4.2 as the device I want, "Super Clear" on the 4.0 reminds me of the hyped up "Retina" apple totes as being super sharp/clear but really I could care less. My tablet is also ICS, so I'm excited that with the statement by Samsung that the 4.2 will get an ics upgrade eventually (due to higher amounts of ram [4.0 uses 384mb of 512mb but I believe the 4.2 is much higher])

Front speakers also won me over as I'm kinda getting sick of these recent devices I've seen/used that the speakers are on the sides or in the back. I of course will most likely use headphones but being able to make dinner or do the dishes while listening to Shoutcast through the speakers is pretty ideal. I'm pretty positive that the sound quality through the speakers will be much better on the 4.2 than the 4.0.

I guess it's personal preference. Some people actually play games on these things and the camera must be up to par to certain peoples standards. Pushing my wants over others is not a good start I guess as a new member of the Samsung Galaxy player community. I honestly haven't bought one yet but Father's Day is coming up and my wife says she'll let me pick up a new MP3 player as long as it costs less than $200.
So for now, I'll just keep playing with the 4.0 and 4.2 at Best Buy until that day comes.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-19-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1writer View Post
True, I see that the benchmark 's are close. Seeing my signature, as you can see, I'm coming from a normal non-wifi mp3 player and going to my first wifi player. I played with the 4.0 and 5.0 at Best Buy and liked both but found the 5.0 a bit too big. Also, the 5.0 has a yamaha dac in it and I'm coming from a wolfson, which I really like. So I want a device that still uses a wolfson dac and it's then a fight between a 4.0 and the 4.2 models of the Samsung Galaxy Player.

I have an Asus Transformer Prime, so I'm extremely accustomed to the Android world already - going apple is then out of the question (nothing in my home has an apple logo). My tablet has a IPS display and looks fantastic and very sharp already. This is why I'm leaning towards the 4.2 as the device I want, "Super Clear" on the 4.0 reminds me of the hyped up "Retina" apple totes as being super sharp/clear but really I could care less. My tablet is also ICS, so I'm excited that with the statement by Samsung that the 4.2 will get an ics upgrade eventually (due to higher amounts of ram [4.0 uses 384mb of 512mb but I believe the 4.2 is much higher])

Front speakers also won me over as I'm kinda getting sick of these recent devices I've seen/used that the speakers are on the sides or in the back. I of course will most likely use headphones but being able to make dinner or do the dishes while listening to Shoutcast through the speakers is pretty ideal. I'm pretty positive that the sound quality through the speakers will be much better on the 4.2 than the 4.0.

I guess it's personal preference. Some people actually play games on these things and the camera must be up to par to certain peoples standards. Pushing my wants over others is not a good start I guess as a new member of the Samsung Galaxy player community. I honestly haven't bought one yet but Father's Day is coming up and my wife says she'll let me pick up a new MP3 player as long as it costs less than $200.
So for now, I'll just keep playing with the 4.0 and 4.2 at Best Buy until that day comes.
So this settles it. These 2 devices are both very good. I wish I could test the 4.2 and see what it has (well youtube is always there too ) Also when you'll have it can you make a review of it. (if you can)

Old 05-19-2012, 07:01 PM

I would have most likely have gotten the 4.2 myself, but the $139.99 price for the 4.0 off of Amazon was too good to pass up on. I'm surprised people rather spend $60 extra on the 4.2 when it's almost the same device as the 4.0.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:11 PM

Ya considering the price for the 4.0 there really is not to much justification in getting the 4.2

Old 05-20-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techies-lol View Post
if anyone is in canada and trying to buy the 4.2, I bought mine from the US and got it the next day from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...layer_4_2.html the total cost was 248$ though, so if you canadians really wanted one there is an option. (from ontario)
Is this $248 including shipping, and did you get nailed at the border?

Ridiculous that Samsung doesn't even offer this to Canadians.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
Is this $248 including shipping, and did you get nailed at the border?

Ridiculous that Samsung doesn't even offer this to Canadians.
it was 248 with taxes/shipping/import fees, no issues, got it next day to london ontario

heres the thing it said while i was ordering

B&H is the Importer of Record as a Non-Residential Importer (NRI) into Canada. Duties and Taxes are therefore the responsibility of, and are paid by, B&H Photo. B&H will charge the customer a fee equivalent to the duties, tax, and other applicable cross border fees at the time of order. Once you have paid B&H Photo, your merchandise will be delivered to you without interruption.

Last edited by techies-lol; 05-22-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techies-lol View Post
it was 248 with taxes/shipping/import fees, no issues, got it next day to london ontario

heres the thing it said while i was ordering

B&H is the Importer of Record as a Non-Residential Importer (NRI) into Canada. Duties and Taxes are therefore the responsibility of, and are paid by, B&H Photo. B&H will charge the customer a fee equivalent to the duties, tax, and other applicable cross border fees at the time of order. Once you have paid B&H Photo, your merchandise will be delivered to you without interruption.
Is it normal that it cost less in quebec than in ontario? I checked and it cost 233$ for me.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
Is it normal that it cost less in quebec than in ontario? I checked and it cost 233$ for me.
meh wouldnt surprise me our laws etc are so different