android
Old 06-13-2012, 12:29 AM

Default Nokia: PureView still coming to Windows Phone

Nokia has reiterating its intentions to bring its PureView camera to Windows Phone. Speaking with Howard Forums, Chris Weber, President of Nokia Inc. and head of Markets in North America, stated that “[Nokia will] be bringing PureView technologies to the Windows Phone platform in future devices.” This is in line with Nokia’s previous statements.

The 41MP Nokia 808 PureView is currently the only smartphone to feature this technology. It’s a Symbian device, but when you consider Nokia’s focus on Windows Phone, it’s inevitable that it will eventually arrive on Microsoft’s mobile OS. The holdup, at this point, is that Nokia needs Windows Phone to “support the broad set of things [it] wants to do with PureView imaging.” The announcement might even be made as early as the Windows Phone Summit next week, which is scheduled to bring with it the first official details about Windows Phone 8, which supposedly includes support for lens apps.

Would you like to have a 41MP camera on your smartphone? Or are you happy with the current 5-8MP average?

[Howard Forums via WP Sauce]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

WooHoo!!! Bring it ON!!!

Old 06-13-2012, 03:20 PM

I really think that this technology is completely useless. I can't think of a single utility for it. If I need to take an ultra-hi-rez photo, why would I use a smartphone that does not have exchangeable optics and all of the features of a DSLR?

Old 06-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Megapixels are generally completely irrelevant outside of marketing-speech (except if you're going to print your crappy cellphone snapshots as 3 meter diameter posters). The sensor size/tech and lens quality is what matters for good image quality the most.

Pureview is typical bullshit marketing that's mostly useless, except maybe for iffy digital zoom stuff.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Isn't the point of pureview to allow you to digitally zoom? I assume no one actually wants such large pictures.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

PureView takes a 41 megapixel picture, then compresses it to around 8 or so megapixels. The idea is to take a huge shot, make it smaller, but prevent the flaws normally associated with just the standard low res shots. Supposedly it actually works. But, considering how hype is usually better than the real thing, I'd say wait to try it before believing any of it.

My Carl Zeiss lens was supposed to be excellent on my Lumia 900 - makes me really miss the 5 megapixel lens on the iPhone 4 I had before. My phone, in all honesty, takes crap pics. So, all the hype was BS.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:29 AM

the 710 takes crap pics too..Nokia really gave up on photography, the Pureview is a throwback to symbian with everything on it, spec-wise being 3 years old, except the camera module.

Just buy a decent camera I say, without the 3 year old phone.