android
Old 05-27-2012, 07:57 AM

Default Galaxy 5.0 and Windows XP, The Battle Begins

I bought a Galaxy 5.0, which really like. But I can tell getting it to work with aging Windows XP is going to be a struggle. MY XP computer will not recognize the 5.0. Kies will not work. I have XP service pack 3 and WMP 11. On the internet I read about "Sanyo XP drivers" but I never actually found the drivers. The only thing left is this "DRM KB902344" Windows add on patch.
Will this patch do the trick? Anyone who has a Galaxy 5.0 working with Windows XP, some advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would really like to be able to "drag" files, and just forget about Kies.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-27-2012, 08:31 AM

You do not need Kies to use the device. Literally just plug it into the computer and press the connect button that pops up and the machine should read the internal SD card and external SD card. Kies isn't needed at all. It should read the device like any other flash drive.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp View Post
I bought a Galaxy 5.0, which really like. But I can tell getting it to work with aging Windows XP is going to be a struggle. MY XP computer will not recognize the 5.0. Kies will not work. I have XP service pack 3 and WMP 11. On the internet I read about "Sanyo XP drivers" but I never actually found the drivers. The only thing left is this "DRM KB902344" Windows add on patch.
Will this patch do the trick? Anyone who has a Galaxy 5.0 working with Windows XP, some advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would really like to be able to "drag" files, and just forget about Kies.
Download these drivers, install them then reboot your pc and try to plug it again.

Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961956

Old 05-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
Download these drivers, install them then reboot your pc and try to plug it again.

Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961956
Merci beaucoup, but the drivers have been removed from that website. I'm back at square one.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Merci beaucoup, but the drivers have been removed from that website. I'm back at square one.
There's another one:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728929

j'espere que ca va t'aider.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:43 AM

don't use windows media player!!!
plug in the device and let it run like external storage, go and download MediaMonkey, get your files and copy them via mediamonkey on the device. Use a good mediaplayer on the Samsung device, don't go for the stock one, it's limited. Go for something like cloudskipper.
Need any help post again on the forum

Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 AM

By saying "Kies will not work", do you mean that the 5.0 will not sync/connect to Kies, or that it will not install? I have XP Professional, and got Kies to install (but I only use it for drivers). My 4.0 connects perfectly in "Mass Storage" mode.

If you need the drivers from the XDA page, I can probably find them in my downloads folder and upload them to Dropbox to share.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:08 AM

Lagoo56 is correct, just plug it in to your XP system via usb and it will be seen as a drive. Drag and drop at will. Or better yet, if your XP system is on a network with WiFi, snag ES File explorer or Airdroid and move the files across cable free. I have done all of these on an XP system.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:25 AM

I have an old XP netbook, an Asus 1000he, and I just plugged my SGP 4.0 into it and it recognized it and I transferred some files using Windows Explorer. It works perfectly.

I did a full recovery on that computer a few weeks ago and I haven't installed much of anything on it so it's completely stock. I don't use it much anymore. I did the recovery because I thought I was going to sell it but then I decided to keep it as a spare.

Barry

Old 05-28-2012, 09:00 PM

I would like to thank everyone for their posts. I have given up trying to use Kies on an XP machine. But I have found that I need to have Kies installed on my XP machine for the drivers. Without the drivers in Kies my XP macnine won't even recognise the Galaxy 5.0. I'm perfectly happy with drag and drop. The more that I use the 5.0, the more I like it.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 AM

I always prefer drag and drop. Programs that you have to use to sync are a pain.

Barry

Old 05-29-2012, 08:26 AM

My 5.0 works great with my Xp machine. No special drivers needed.
Plug it it and I get the pop-up window with various interface options..."Open Folders to View Files". Never used Kies.
Drag and drop with Windows Explorer. No Media Monkey or any other program required. This is what Windows Explorer is for. The issue of what audio player app you are using is unrelated.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I would like to thank everyone for their posts. I have given up trying to use Kies on an XP machine. But I have found that I need to have Kies installed on my XP machine for the drivers. Without the drivers in Kies my XP macnine won't even recognise the Galaxy 5.0.
It sounds like your SGP might not be in mass storage mode. Try disconnecting then going to Settings | Wireless and network | USB settings and check that the Mass storage option (as opposed to Samsung Kies or Media Player) is selected.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:36 PM

This has been infuriating me all afternoon! I was going to post a new thread but having gone through this one I thought it's just as relevant to keep it here.

My PC is flat out refusing to recognise my SGP 4.0 via USB. I finally got hold of a cable today so thought I was ready to copy many folders of music onto it (ES Explorer is fine but I really want to be able to drag and drop and USB has to be faster anyway, right?)

I guess this is the message other people have seen...
Quote:
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it...
I've tried installing a couple of different versions of Kies for the drivers with no success. I've tried the drivers on the XDA threads linked to in here and several others that I found along the way - the most recent being SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_1.5.4.0.exe

Various people, including Samsung, have stated that you shouldn't need drivers (which isn't the sort of 'help' you want to read ) but all references are for various phones being connected to Windows 7, so all the while I've been concious that they might not apply to my SGP connecting to Windows XP (32bit)

I've tried different ports with no success. I'd also read that perhaps it might be the cable (charge only, not data) or a dud SGP... The Amazon listing for the cable specifically stated Data as does the label on it and all reviews give it 5 stars and many of them mention data working well.

Finally, I tried connecting it to my Laptop (same Windows but not as up to date) and it recognised it straight away! No downloads or installations, I just plugged it in and the two drives appeared in Windows Explorer (then in sequence disappeared and reappeared twice) and I could drag and drop to my hearts content!

I checked Device Manager to see what driver it was using and it specified C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbstor.sys so I checked my PC and it had exactly the same file (Version 5.1.2600.5512) !

So back to my PC... and still no success. This is the exact place I was in with my Creative Zen a few months ago; it would connect to my Laptop but not my PC. (That issue was resolved with Microsoft_User-Mode_Driver_Framework_Install-v1.0-WinXP.exe but was one of the reasons I started looking at the SGP...)

So the cable is good, the SGP is good, it is clearly a Windows issue. Any further suggestions?

Old 06-08-2012, 03:56 PM

I connect my SGP 4.0 to my Windows 7 PC every couple of days with no problems. I also connect it to both of my XP netbooks fairly often with no problems. The guy at support was giving you the help you need. You don't need any drivers that aren't already in Windows.

A couple of possibilities occur to me. One is that your MSC driver is corrupted in some way. Probably not but that could cause this problem. A variation on that is that you changed the player's USB setting from the default Mass Storage setting. You can check that in Settings, Wireless and Network, USB Settings. If it's not set to Mass Storage, set it there. If it's set on Media Player that should work too as long as you have Windows Media Player installed on your computer.

You also might check it on another computer. There could be a problem with your USB port.

The other possibility is that your player is faulty. You can try resetting it to factory defaults to see if that helps. Back it up first if you have a micro SD card because it'll erase everything.

If none of those helps the player is probably defective and if it's still in warranty Samsung can take care of it.

Barry

Old 06-08-2012, 07:29 PM

Last thing you can try is to check USB debugging, ever since I f'ed mine up flashing the CM7 betas (4.0 player), I didn't properly back things up from the MTD conversion and my rfs is corrupted / destroyed / gone forever my computer will only see the internal and sdcard if I have USB debugging checked, but I'm on windows 7 so I don't know if it will help you any on XP but its worth a try.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:06 AM

I tried it in all three modes (Kies, Media, Mass Storage) and neither Kies nor Windows Explorer saw it in any of them. Windows knows I've plugged it in because it pops up the "unrecognized" message, it just doesn't know what to do with it.

As I said, it works with my laptop and since posting I have tried on another tower and that was fine too. It's definitely my PC. I even copied over the usbstor.sys that my laptop said it was using as the driver but that didn't help (I'm sure the copy I had was identical anyway)

I had a quick google but couldn't see how to update/refresh/restore the MSC stuff, any suggestions?

@Daniel, this is fresh out of the box. Though it might be worth pointing out that it's a European model so only has Froyo

Old 06-09-2012, 11:27 AM

The only other thing I can think of is that at some point one of the XP service packs added some drivers that made a difference with some of my MP3 players. Either that or maybe it was when I updated Windows Media Player. Or maybe both. It was a long time ago and I don't remember much about it, just that it happened.

So you might check and see if you have the latest service pack on XP and the latest updates on WMP.

That's the only other thing I can think of.

Barry

Old 06-09-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkliftFred View Post
This has been infuriating me all afternoon! ...
My PC is flat out refusing to recognise my SGP 4.0 via USB.
<snip>

So the cable is good, the SGP is good, it is clearly a Windows issue. Any further suggestions?
Just out of curiosity, if you plug a thumb drive into the same USB port, is it recognised? I figure if a random thumb drive works then you know there isn't anything inherently wrong with your USB port and/or drivers.

If you have one, have you tried plugging the SGP into a different USB port (after completely powering down your system and bringing it back up again.) I have seen on occasion when you first insert a USB device into the port, the device registration fails for whatever reason and instead of Windows starting from scratch when you reinsert the device, it remembers the failed registration [for that port/controller]. Sometimes using a different port makes the problem go away.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:57 AM

Thanks for trying to help guys, still no success though

I had Media Player 10 (which is quoted as minimum requirement) but I don't normally use it. I upgraded to 11 but no improvement.

I read elsewhere that USB issues can sometimes be resolved by shutting down and unplugging the computer completely... didn't help me. I've tried different sockets front and back. I've tried connecting the SGP before turning it on, I've tried just leaving it plugged in for ages (I read someone somewhere did that and when he came back to it he found it was working)

All other USB devices are working perfectly, mouse, camera, Garmin GPS, Creative Zen. I thought that maybe there was confusion with the Garmin because that has internal storage and microSD like the SGP so I plugged that in first ...

It's so frustrating when I plug it into other computers and it recognises it first time. I get the feeling I'm going to end up having to reinstall Windows