android
Old 06-10-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkliftFred View Post
Thanks for trying to help guys, still no success though

All other USB devices are working perfectly, mouse, camera, Garmin GPS, Creative Zen.

It's so frustrating when I plug it into other computers and it recognises it first time. I get the feeling I'm going to end up having to reinstall Windows
Sounds like you've been pretty thorough. The last, slightly less drastic than reinstalling Windows thing I can think of trying is resetting the USB host controller(s) in your system. MS outlines how to do it at the end of this KB article but I've summarized the procedure below.

N.B. Although I've personally never suffered any ill efects from doing this, as with any procedure where you start mucking with system configuration, make sure you have a recent backup just in case

Quote:
Remove and reinstall all USB controllers
To remove and reinstall all USB controllers, follow these steps:
  1. With the SGP plugged in, right-click My Computer and select Properties
  2. Click the Hardware tab.
  3. Click the Device Manager button.
  4. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
  5. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node
  6. Click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
  7. Shut down computer and remove SGP
  8. After a few seconds, turn computer on.
  9. When Windows restarts you will see "Windows has detected new or added hardware"
  10. On completion, with the SGP in storage mode, plug it in.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-10-2012, 04:51 PM

That does sound like one step away from a Windows reinstall... Unfortunately it hasn't helped. I may try again. I started from the top of the list and about half way down the rest just disappeared (clearly I removed their primary controller) It might not make a difference but I'll clear them from the bottom, just in case.

There was a point when the mouse died and reactivated itself. At that point, I got the Unrecognized message again.

After reboot, the various devices were recognised and re-activated and everything was back to normal - plugged in the SGP and it still didn't work.

If the next step really is a Windows reinstall then I'll be putting it off for a while. I've done it before so it's not a big worry, but it's always an unpleasant experience

Thanks again, though. That was something I hadn't done before. Well, not to that extreme anyway