android
Old 06-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Question How can I transfer iTunes playlists to my clip+/zip?

As my title asks, is it possible via a program to transfer the music & playlists over to either of my babies? I'm damned if I can figure it out,...and my Sony has the "Content Transfer" application for my Sony players. All I do is drag & drop the playlist over from iTunes to the app and it transfers the playlist and the tunes in one shot. No stress involved.

Even if I create an m3u playlist & place it on the desktop I can't do a software transfer using the programs I have. I'm confuddled,.....

So, any suggestions will be appreciated. And I have no problem using WinAmp, J.River, foobar2000, etc. Just give me a bit of advice please,...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Can't help you with this one, buddy....

Old 06-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Looks like the experts are stumped,... I may have to do a bit of experimenting on my own then.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Amok Playlist Copy will transfer .m3u playlists and their contents. It can be a PIA to set up but once you get the feel it's quick and simple. MediaMonkey will do almost the same with a little setup.

Save the iTunes .m3u as a MM playlist. Sync that playlist to the CZ Music folder. I do it without creating subfolders. That copies the files and creates a .m3u playlist that doesn't work.

You get the playlist working by doing a "find and replace" with a text editor. To correct the file paths
Code:
J:\Music\04 Uptown Swagger.mp3
becomes
Code:
04 Uptown Swagger.mp3
There's probably dedicated software to move the files and create working playlist. These were just a couple I had on my PC right now.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Bumping this up with more info.

I've heard from the people I helped get set up with the CZ using their iTunes library. They said I was way off base with the "PIA to set up" comment about Amok. They told me how they set it to have it move the files and make playlists that work. When I follow their directions setup is much easier.

Export the iTunes playlist as a .m3u. Drag and drop that into Amok. Go to Copy/Save>Advanced Copy. Choose the Music folder on the Clip Zip as the target folder and name the playlist. Pick which structure you want to have built.

AFAIK most of the options for building a folder structure only work for MP3. Amok doesn't seem to read the metadata needed to create a folder structure based on album or artist from .m4a files.

I used "Create New Folder[Album Name]" since I have mp3s. "Copy and keep original folder structure" creates too many levels of folders for me. "Copy all files in target folder" doesn't organize them into folders at all. Make your choice and OK it.

That's it. The files from the playlist are copied over and the playlist you named is created. If you have another iTunes playlists that includes those files no duplicates are created as long as you use the same settings. It just creates a new playlist.

With the playlists being in the Music folder the paths are correct and the playlists work. The bonus is they also work in Rockbox.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll give it a shot,...thank skip!!!