android
Old 06-08-2012, 08:40 PM

Help Import Multiple Playlists?

Hey all,

I just bought an E465 this afternoon and tried to set it up, and I'm hitting a snag. I'm not sure if I just have it wrong, or what but my searches weren't coming up with anything.

I used to own *GASP* an ipod, but the battery died and its a model that isn't supported in their replacement plan. Go figure. This is why I'm a pc/linux person, lol, but back when I got the ipod it was the only thing on the market that fit the bill.

Anyway, I'm a major playlist listener. I have my entire library sorted into various playlists.

The problem is that it seems as though Media Go will only put one of my imported playlists onto my walkman. Music from the others gets added, but not the playlists themselves.

Can I have more than one on it? It's not a space issue. Would it work if I used windows media player (or another music player; I have four, lol) or some manual hack?

I really don't know if I can live with just one at a time. Especially when I go out of town.

Thora

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-09-2012, 05:04 AM

I have the same player as you and for a time I was using Media Go to manage the music on my Walkman. It is possible to have Media Go put multiple playlists on your player (I've had four playlists on my player at the same time and it is possible to have many more).

A simple way to make playlists in Media Go and put them on your player is to: (1) make a playlist, (2) drag and drop the songs into that playlist, and (3) send the playlist to your player (by right clicking on the playlist and adding it to your player). When you send a playlist to the player, both the playlists and the songs it contains will be sent to your player. One limitation is that (per the instruction manual) a playlist can contain no more than 999 songs. I once created a playlist that contained far more than that number and only some of the songs from that playlist appeared on my player.

It is possible to sync songs and playlists to your player using Media Go, However, I've found that using Media Go to send the songs and playlists to a player works much better.

One thing to mention is that if you update a playlist in MediaGo that you already have on your player, you need to delete the original playlist off your player before sending the updated version to your player. Otherwise, you may end up with two versions of the same playlist on your player.

When it comes to playlists, I've found that Media Go is fine as long as your needs are basic and/or you prefer to create your playlists manually. However, I've found that I need to create very elaborate playlists for both my player and for listening on my computer and that's difficult to do in Media Go.

That's one of the reasons I'm using MediaMonkey (MM) with my player. With MM I can easily create very elaborate autoplaylists that will automatically update and the updated playlists will sync with my player. I currently have eight playlists on my player, and they are based on various criteria including mood, tempo, and ratings. I also use playlists to control which songs will be loaded on my player.

It does take a bit of time to set up MM with your player. However, once it's accomplished the process is fairly seemless.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 06-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Administrator

If you're transferring the playlists from iTunes to a Sony the simplest way I know is MediaMonkey. If you have other MTP capable software you may find that better for your needs.

The people that showed me how to do it this way preferred to continue to use iTunes as their media manager. They just used MediaMonkey for the final playlist sync.

Once you have your player connected, export the playlist from iTunes as a .m3u. Open the exported .m3u playlist in MediaMonkey, right click the playlist and choose "Send To...Synchronize to Walkman".

The files for that playlist will be transferred and a .pla playlist be created. If the files from that playlist are used in another playlist MediaMonkey notes that and doesn't send duplicates. I don't know how many playlists a Sony will allow but I have ~40 on mine.

I've also tried this with Winamp and MusicBee and the results were the same. If you have them set to create the same folder structure on the player all of them will create a .pla playlist while transferring the contents of a .m3u playlist and won't transfer duplicates files.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the replies,

I've just downloaded MediaMonkey to scope out.

I guess I do still use iTunes as my main media manager; I hate the interface for Winamp and will probably uninstall it at some point, ad WMP has never fit the bill. I used to love SongBird, but I haven't tried it since I upgraded to Win7 (dualboot with Ubuntu).

Just to make sure I was clear, Media Go was importing my iTunes playlists to its overview playlists just fine, but it wouldn't let me send more than one to the walkman. I'm fine using something like MediaMonkey for syncing if I need to.

Though, does MM monitor playlist files? I.e. if I continue to use iTunes for my overall management, will I need to re-export/import my playlists every time I make changes to them? I'll admit I only tend to sync my players when there's a significant change in my library, but it would still be a bit of a pain if I had to export and import everything every time I wanted to sync.

Out of curiosity, is there any experience using SongBird with the walkman? (If anyone knows.)