android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 06-05-2012, 09:33 PM

Default Samsung Mod YP-G70CB/XEO - International - Black ??

I've ordered two of the Samsung Galaxy 5.0 Players for my daughters and they have loved them. I'm sorta semi-retiring my old Creative Vision M player and wanted to get my my own SG 5.0 Player.

My wife ordered one off of Amazon and it's description was just the same as the others. The only surprise was that I seem to have received the European version (YP-G70CB/XEO). It is all black and the home button is actually a button instead of a flat part of the screen you simply touch like my daughters white versions (YP-G70CWY/XAA).

Here's my question from the long intro. Is this going to give me problems trying to use it here in the U.S.?

As long as it will work like any other Galaxy 5.0 Player...I'm satisfied with keeping it. It is kinda cool being all black. I didn't know if if had a different processor, UI, or such that would end up being problematic not being the U.S. version.

I don't want to open it if it is going to be sent back.

Thoughts anyone?

The box actually is labeled: Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 5.0

The screen display on the box looks different from the U.S. versions of my daughters too.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thx,

DK

Last edited by doneking; 06-06-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As long as the menus are in English, I think you'll be fine.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:56 PM

I guess the only way to verify that is to actually open it up and turn the thing on.

I might wait a little longer and see if anyone here has used this version in the States before I commit to this one.

My wife is not very interent savy...She wanted to surprise my for my birthday and was all excited to order this and surprise me. She had not idea that there were different versions. She ordered if off of Amazon and said nothing looked different or explained it wasn't like the others we had ordered. Oh well...maybe it will be fine.

DK

Old 06-05-2012, 10:29 PM

only theorectical problem I could see, is the International version of the play store not having access to some apps, that are US only, if there are any apps like that, other then that should be fine.

Just remember if you get into flashing custom ROM's to use the international ones and not the US ones.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:53 PM

I doubt that I will be changing it up from the factory ROM. I never like to mess with something that deep.

My luck never lands on the positive side when I have tried in the past to try and 'improve' my gadgets.

DK

Old 06-06-2012, 12:38 AM

I have been using an international version since September. I don't think you will have any trouble with it because it is not the USA version. When I first powered mine up, it walked me through the very straightforward process of language setup and such. I actually like having the physical home button, it gives you another way to wake the unit up from sleep mode without accidentally messing with the volume buttons. Mine is also tagged "Galaxy S WiFi 5.0" and it seems to be able to load the same apps from Google Play that the SGPs of other users on this forum do. Enjoy... especially if you like the black. Mine is white.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 AM

Well, I guess that I'm going to crack the case and open it up.

skwatch...have you ordered a screen shield for yours?

With the home button being different it will need a different shield type.

Thx,

DK

Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneking View Post
Well, I guess that I'm going to crack the case and open it up.

With the home button being different it will need a different shield type.

Thx,

DK

Personally, I'm sold on cases for small, portable electronic devices. A properly designed case will provide some degree of protection in case of a drop, although nothing is guaranteed. Best Buy has the "Riot Outfitters" case for the 5.0. This leather case has a folding cover, so a screen protection shield is not needed.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Thx,

DK
I have a Skinomi shield on my screen, but I think I ordered it before the US model had been released. So now you will just have to make sure you get an international version shield. A case does give more protection, but also bulks it up a bit. I really like the size of the device, but adding a case would be pushing it for me. The device is pretty durable. Mine has fallen out of a pocket on concrete a number of times. There are a few scuffs on the chrome trim ring, but that is about it. If you want it to stay completely pristine -- get a case for it. I chose to skin the screen and not worry about it much and that works for me.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:29 PM

I have the white European SGP 5.0 with the Home button. I bought it from Woot before the US versions were available. I also have the US version of the 4.0 and the 4.2. There's no real difference that I can see except the model differences.

Barry

Old 06-06-2012, 12:37 PM

How can I tell if my player has the most up to date version of software?

I've went to the Samsung website and it doesn't list my model. It has the US version but not the International.

Here's my Player Info:

Firmware Version: 2.2.2

Kernal Version: 2.6.32.9
se . infra @ SEP-53 #1

Build Number: FROYO.XXKG1

Thx,

DK

Old 06-06-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwatch View Post
... A case does give more protection, but also bulks it up a bit. I really like the size of the device, but adding a case would be pushing it for me. The device is pretty durable. Mine has fallen out of a pocket on concrete a number of times. There are a few scuffs on the chrome trim ring, but that is about it. If you want it to stay completely pristine -- get a case for it. I chose to skin the screen and not worry about it much and that works for me.
Same here. I use a Zagg Invisible Shield screen protector. Then I slip it into a leather case on my belt. Adding a bulky case to it would prevent me from carrying it on my belt (at least with products I've seen so far)

Old 06-06-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
How can I tell if my player has the most up to date version of software?.....

DK
I think that the Froyo version that you listed is probably the latest version officially supported on the international version. I flashed mine to Gingerbread and doing that is probably easier than you think, though it does not gain as much as I had hoped. You can get most of the advantages people seem to like about Gingerbread with a custom launcher. The main significant functional differences I remember from the move to Gingerbread on my international version is that battery management got better (Froyo used up some battery for "Cell Standby" GB seemed to get rid of this). GPS location acquisition got a lot faster with GB. The internal compass became almost completely unreliable with GB.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:52 PM

You can check for updates by turning on your Wifi, going into Settings and at the bottom tap About Device. Tap Udate and it'll check for updates and let you know that there is or isn't one available.

Barry

Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 PM

I appreciate all the help folks.

As my luck would have it...I decided to keep the player, but I could not get it to connect to the Kies software or get my computer to recognize that it was hooked up. I checked all of the options like debugging, etc. but could not get the thing to be recognized. Both of my daughters SGP 5.0's connect with no problems.

Since I only had this thing one day I contacted Amazon and arranged an exchange for a US version like we had originally ordered. The link through Amazon clearly states it is supposed to be the YP-G70CWY/XAA.

I got the new one overnighted and it ended up being another International version (only white this time YP-G70CW/TPA). I opened it up and checked this one out and it has the GB installed and Android version 2.3.5. I've got it charging so I have not messed with it to see if it will connect or be recognized yet. I kinda liked the black version better, but I just want it to work w/o issues.

If it connects and works I'll deal with it.

DK

Old 06-07-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
You can check for updates by turning on your Wifi, going into Settings and at the bottom tap About Device. Tap Udate and it'll check for updates and let you know that there is or isn't one available.

Barry
i have a galaxy player 5 us version with 2.3.5 and there is no update option in the about device section. i had a infuse smart phone and do remember that option being available though.
one of the first things i noticed when i got the sgp is that it does not have a check for updates option.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:07 PM

Well, you're right. I had my SGP 4.2 in my pocket and I looked on that to see where the update was located, assuming it was the same on them all. But I just checked my 5.0 and it's not there.

It's also not there on the 4.0. I guess I need to figure out how check it, too.

Sorry about the wrong answer.

Barry

Old 06-07-2012, 06:09 PM

i wonder why it is on the 4.2 but not the 5 or 4. i wish it were there.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 AM

Probably because the 4.2 is a newer model.

Barry

Old 06-08-2012, 01:21 PM

under About phone its the first choice labeled Software Update, or pick a ROM from here or XDA and flash it with ODIN.