android
Old 06-07-2012, 05:55 PM

Default 5.0 or Tab2?

Trying to make a decision. Why would I consider buying a 7" Wifi Tab2 (other than screen size, obviously) over a 5.0? My initial requirement was flac file playback and don't plan on watching videos (as of this writing).

The 8Gb vs 32Gb onboard memory mildly concerns me but I was planning on 32Gb micro SD cards anyhow.

Price is an object but I always say if I can't afford the $200, I might as well spend $450 anyhow... :-O

Did I miss something feature-wise that would sway me one way or the other? TIA...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-07-2012, 06:00 PM

i dont know feature wise but the 5.0 is just big enough to have an actually usable screen but just small enough to be easily portable. i think it is the perfect mix of the two. i love mine

Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 PM

That's what I'm thinking, brosko. I really just need a flac player with some juice for my car. I can actually play flacs with the Jet Audio app on my Samsung smartphone but I wanted to get a toy with little more finesse.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:05 PM

i think you will love the player then. i have both the 4 and the 5. i think the 5 is alot more real world usable. the 4 is more of a pain than anything trying to use that tiny screen. the 5 is much more enjoyable (less irritating) to use

Old 06-07-2012, 06:11 PM

My impression was that the 5.0's screen wouold be pretty pleasant to navigate with and that confirms it.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:21 PM

i think the smaller screened units sacrifice ease of use for portability. to me if it is not easily used and enjoyed it is worthless. you should go to your local electronics store and try the 5.0 out for yourself. i have tried the 7.0 tab out side by side with the 5.0 galaxy player at best buy (as i was originally considering a tablet) i found the player to be much more usable all around when factoring in ease of use, portability and general enjoyment of use all together. it is like a mini tablet that you can still put in your pocket or center console of your car etc.. the best of both worlds! i just could not see myself carrying around the tablet, as it wouldn't fit in many spots you would want to put it when out on the go/ in the car.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:25 PM

as far as options i think the two devices are about the same. dont remember if the 7.0 tab has a flash for the camera though, and that is a nice feature on the 5.0

Old 06-07-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosko View Post
i think the smaller screened units sacrifice ease of use for portability. to me if it is not easily used and enjoyed it is worthless. you should go to your local electronics store and try the 5.0 out for yourself. i have tried the 7.0 tab out side by side with the 5.0 galaxy player at best buy (as i was originally considering a tablet) i found the player to be much more usable all around when factoring in ease of use, portability and general enjoyment of use all together. it is like a mini tablet that you can still put in your pocket or center console of your car etc.. the best of both worlds! i just could not see myself carrying around the tablet, as it wouldn't fit in many spots you would want to put it when out on the go/ in the car.
I think it's your opinion. I have the 4.0 and it's pretty easy to use and I don't complain about. But if you want a MP3 player/tablet it would be better to take the 5.0.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:47 PM

First of all I have big hands and the 4 is very frusturating to use. Second the 4 is a nice player (actually better than the 5 in many ways, screen sharpness, usb door, speakers, battery meter uses 1%increments,auto brightness, replaceable battery and a few other things I cannot remember right now) I just think the 5 is more usable in every "tablet aspect" (basically meaning mini computer) than the 4. I agree if you are going to use the unit almost solely as a music player then the 4 is a better choice but if you plan to use the internet, email and type and such even a little as most people will the 5 is alot better.

Also it is a Fact, unless you have hands the size of a toddler, you will find the 5 , at least somewhat a littler easier to use in general than the 4. Nobody can say without lying that the 4" screen is easier to navigate around on than the 5"

Last edited by skip252; 06-07-2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: posts merged

Old 06-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The tab has a larger development base, I'm pretty sure, if you're aiming to slap custom ROMs on there or anything. Besides that, I think the 5.0 should be just fine for you.

Also, 64GB microSD cards work in these players, just so you know. You just have to put them into the player before loading them up and format it from there, in the settings.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Why would I consider buying a 7" Wifi Tab2 (other than screen size, obviously) over a 5.0?
You are going about this backwards. Decide how big a screen you want then decide what device fits your needs best. A 7 inch screen will never be as portable as a 5 inch screen and a 5 inch screen will never fit as much stuff as a 7 inch screen. Firepower vs Mobility.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
i dont know feature wise but the 5.0 is just big enough to have an actually usable screen but just small enough to be easily portable. i think it is the perfect mix of the two. i love mine
completely agree.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:17 PM

In regard to internal memory size- the 5.0 will only use the external SD card for music files, video files, picture files, and document files. It will not allow you to install apps to the external SD card. I don't know if the Tab2 will permit this but with 32 gb of memory on board you have a great deal of memory for applications and application data in addition to an external SD card you might add.

The other thing to consider is that Samsung has all but abandoned their player series in terms of updates. It appears that the 5.0 will go no further than gingerbread as far as Samsung is concerned - and if you want to advance the OS it requires using custom roms. This does not bother many - but it is a factor in how Samsung looks upon these devices. They are not even releasing the new SG players with ICS.

I am just suggesting that other than screen size this is something to consider. Yes, the 5 inch screen makes it possible to slip this into a pocket and if you main need is for a music player then you will have a good and convenient one with the 5.0.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:17 PM

I wonder if the reason there'll be no ICS for the SGP series is similar to the reason they won't port ICS to the original Galaxy Tab. They say there isn't room for both ICS and TouchWiz and they think people want TouchWiz.

Personally I'm happy enough with Android 2.3 so I don't see this as a problem. I have ICS on other tablets and I like it but it doesn't really impact my use of them much.

On the other side of that, if they decided to give us ICS without TouchWiz I'd probably do that. I like TouchWiz just fine but I don't see it as all that important. Like ICS it provides a few new features that I like and makes things a bit easier but there's nothing really essential.

The SGP series is about playing music, games, audidrama, videos, etc. It does those things just fine.

I guess I don't need the latest and greatest OS and interface for bragging rights. I have lots of other stuff to brag about.

Barry

Old 06-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I wonder if the reason there'll be no ICS for the SGP series is similar to the reason they won't port ICS to the original Galaxy Tab. They say there isn't room for both ICS and TouchWiz and they think people want TouchWiz.
I'm pretty sure that is the case.
Quote:
Personally I'm happy enough with Android 2.3 so I don't see this as a problem. I have ICS on other tablets and I like it but it doesn't really impact my use of them much.
I have no complaints with Gingerbread on my 5.0 either, but I've never had the chance to play with an ICS-equipped device to compare them.

Quote:
On the other side of that, if they decided to give us ICS without TouchWiz I'd probably do that. I like TouchWiz just fine but I don't see it as all that important. Like ICS it provides a few new features that I like and makes things a bit easier but there's nothing really essential.
I'd expect to see pigs with wings before that happens.
Quote:
The SGP series is about playing music, games, audidrama, videos, etc. It does those things just fine.
True enough!

Old 06-10-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Prince View Post
Trying to make a decision. Why would I consider buying a 7" Wifi Tab2 (other than screen size, obviously) over a 5.0? My initial requirement was flac file playback and don't plan on watching videos (as of this writing).

The 8Gb vs 32Gb onboard memory mildly concerns me but I was planning on 32Gb micro SD cards anyhow.

Price is an object but I always say if I can't afford the $200, I might as well spend $450 anyhow... :-O

Did I miss something feature-wise that would sway me one way or the other? TIA...
then why not get the best of both? Get a rockbox capable player for music and the tab for everything else. That's what i'd do anyway.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
First of all I have big hands and the 4 is very frusturating to use. Second the 4 is a nice player (actually better than the 5 in many ways, screen sharpness, usb door, speakers, battery meter uses 1%increments,auto brightness, replaceable battery and a few other things I cannot remember right now) I just think the 5 is more usable in every "tablet aspect" (basically meaning mini computer) than the 4. I agree if you are going to use the unit almost solely as a music player then the 4 is a better choice but if you plan to use the internet, email and type and such even a little as most people will the 5 is alot better.

Also it is a Fact, unless you have hands the size of a toddler, you will find the 5 , at least somewhat a littler easier to use in general than the 4. Nobody can say without lying that the 4" screen is easier to navigate around on than the 5"
Of course there is always the 4.2 that could be considered with many of the benefits of the 4.0 with a bit larger screen, front firing speakers and the better DAC that the 4.0 uses (I assume that last point is still valid and people prefer the DAC in the 4.0 and 4.2 vs the Yamaha DAC in the 5.0).

And Amazon just lowered the price on the 4.2 as well.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post
Of course there is always the 4.2 that could be considered with many of the benefits of the 4.0 with a bit larger screen, front firing speakers and the better DAC that the 4.0 uses (I assume that last point is still valid and people prefer the DAC in the 4.0 and 4.2 vs the Yamaha DAC in the 5.0).

And Amazon just lowered the price on the 4.2 as well.
Right now I am not seeing the 4.2 on Amazon at all.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:27 PM

It's there. I just looked. They just don't have it listed with the others. Search for Samsung Galaxy Player or search for Galaxy Player 4.2.

Barry

Old 06-11-2012, 02:35 PM

I still say get the correct sized device for your needs. Ultimately they will do most of the same things just one is easier to use and the other is easier to transport.