android
Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 AM

Default Basic question about apps

Hi. Any basic advice about apps. Is it OK to try out any android app and see if it works and delete it if it doesn't or should you make sure it works on the SGP before installing it? I was looking at a screen app for the Kindle but wasn't sure if trying it out might be a mistake. Thanking you in advance for any advice. Tunesplus.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-12-2012, 12:19 PM

I generally look at reviews of the app and make sure that there are not massive problems. You can also see reviews that are only by users of your type of device...which can be helpful.

I have never had a problem with loading an app and then uninstalling it.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:33 PM

While I don't own an Android device, I do know that there's a lot of malware around. Be a bit cautious and don't just install anything. Check the creator's reputation/status, download counts, reviews, comments..

Old 06-12-2012, 03:21 PM

I just try things out and delete what I don't like. I've never had a problem. I've never encountered malware. I do check the reviews and try to pick apps that get good reviews but I'm not overly concerned.

Barry

Old 06-12-2012, 05:02 PM

i have been using my galaxy player 5.0 for about 5 months now and have downloaded about 75-100 apps. i found that the frostwire file sharing app causes a problem with the wifi control on the device and either takes about 10 minutes to shut off the wifi or it wont shut off at all. also last week i downloaded an app called bowman, it is a game where you shoot a bow an arrow. really lame. anyway a few days after i notice all these search icons appearing on my home screens and my homepage in the browser was changed to those same search sites that the icons went to. i immidiately deleted the app,and all of that went away.
then i go to the playstore and read the reviews of the bowman app (which i should have done before downloading it) and see that alot of people gave it one star and said that it was putting spam and ads all over their devices also. it pays to read the reveiws a little before downloading an app.
also after deleting an app, some of them leave folders and files behind that you have to go and delete manually to fully get rid of the program to undo the harm to the device (as was the case with the frostwire app)
now i am leary of the day i download something and it really messes up my device like has happened on my computer a few times and i had to pay someone to fix it.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:36 PM

You are not going to find many - IF ANY -reviews of apps from anyone with an SGP at any of the app sites. You will find them here and you might ask here if you are questioning an app if anyone has tried it.

There should be no problem trying an app and then deleting it if it does not do what you want or work as it should. Of course, don't pay for an app if you are not certain of it - unless you don't care about the money. I have tried a number of free apps that either did not work or were not worthwhile and I have deleted them from my SGP 5.0.

Supposedly, Google Play screens apps that are offered there for viruses and malware. But read the reviews and be cautious. Look at the one and two star reviews first.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosko View Post
i have been using my galaxy player 5.0 for about 5 months now and have downloaded about 75-100 apps. i found that the frostwire file sharing app causes a problem with the wifi control on the device and either takes about 10 minutes to shut off the wifi or it wont shut off at all. also last week i downloaded an app called bowman, it is a game where you shoot a bow an arrow. really lame. anyway a few days after i notice all these search icons appearing on my home screens and my homepage in the browser was changed to those same search sites that the icons went to. i immidiately deleted the app,and all of that went away.
then i go to the playstore and read the reviews of the bowman app (which i should have done before downloading it) and see that alot of people gave it one star and said that it was putting spam and ads all over their devices also. it pays to read the reveiws a little before downloading an app.
also after deleting an app, some of them leave folders and files behind that you have to go and delete manually to fully get rid of the program to undo the harm to the device (as was the case with the frostwire app)
now i am leary of the day i download something and it really messes up my device like has happened on my computer a few times and i had to pay someone to fix it.
Just a friendly warning but frostwire is one of the biggest virus risks in all of history. I'd be less worried about catching something from one of the Jersey Shore sluts then getting something thru frostwire. LOL

To OP as long as you get the app from a safe location you can install any app, the only question is whether it will run or worst case cause force closes so frequent you can't do any thing and you'll have to boot into recovery and do a factory reset.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunesplus View Post
Hi. Any basic advice about apps. Is it OK to try out any android app and see if it works and delete it if it doesn't or should you make sure it works on the SGP before installing it? I was looking at a screen app for the Kindle but wasn't sure if trying it out might be a mistake. Thanking you in advance for any advice. Tunesplus.
When you are logged into the Play store, it will tell you if an app is compatible with your Android so there shouldn't be any worries about installing it and finding that it doesn't work. I've read people say that in some cases they are told an app incompatible but they tried it and it was fine. If you get an app from anywhere else then you should be more wary.

Always check out the reviews and star ratings. If you go to the Ratings tab you can even specify which reviews to view - if there are a handful of 1 star reviews you can click the link and see what those people have to say without wading through all the other positive reviews. As Blackdog said, you can filter the reviews to only show comments from people who have used it on the same device as you, but there are not very many reviews from SGP users (as 1776 said) There are also reviews that don't state the user's device, which isn't so helpful. Generally, bear in mind that some reviewers might have issues due to their device and I'd suggest that anything relating to Samsung Galaxy S phones will be worth paying attention to because it's probably the closest you'll get to an actual SGP review.

Also check out the Permissions that an app requires, especially if there are not many reviews/ratings. These will give you an indication of whether it is likely to do something bad, though it is just an indication. I loved playing Zoo Keeper on my PC so when I found it in the Play Store I was very happy... but it had no reviews and the permissions were asking for all sorts of unnecessary things. Internet access is probably the most common permission that you will think "Why does it need that?" but it is usually because it's a free app that uses adverts. The good thing there is that by turning off your wifi, you won't get any

To Summarise
The Play Store should tell you if an app is compatible or not, read the reviews and check the permissions. If you're not sure about the permissions, ask someone (even the developer) and see what the reviews say.

Oh and if anything needs Phone related permissions, in my experience, you can just ignore them because the app will always think the telephony functions are switched off

Last edited by ForkliftFred; 06-13-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
You are not going to find many - IF ANY -reviews of apps from anyone with an SGP at any of the app sites. You will find them here and you might ask here if you are questioning an app if anyone has tried it.
When you are looking at reviews on the Play Market, to the right side of the menu bar, you'll see Options.
then select "Only reviews from this type of phone"
You'll see all reviews by SGP owners.

Don't forget that you have 15 minutes to "return/credit" an app purchase thru the market. That's not much time but if there is some specific element that you want to verify, it does give you a short window of opportunity.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 AM

Due to having the Nook Color with N2A since last June, I was able to get many Amazon daily free apps before the fire came out. When I finally got the SGP 5, I immediately checked "allow other apps", and downloaded the Amazon appstore. Since the Fire has been selling, there have been very few GOOD free apps now. Haven't had a problem with any yet, and have over 100 in my amazon account, including the printshare app for wireless printing from android, app2sdpro, Android Assistant, TapaTalk and many others.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I actually am rather apathetic about what I download. I haven't had any issues yet. It's very easy to uninstall an app you don't like.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:10 AM

I think in time the safety of Android will change. The virus writers will see us as defenseless and get serious about doing some harm. For now I think there are very few problems. Too bad it won't last.

Barry

Old 06-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I think in time the safety of Android will change. The virus writers will see us as defenseless and get serious about doing some harm. For now I think there are very few problems. Too bad it won't last.

Barry
That's why I installed the free version of Lookout, even though many say it isn't necessary and needlessly slows down the device. A little peace of mind is worth the few extra seconds it takes to scan things, I think.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 AM

The way I understand the Permissions aspect of Android, there's not a great deal to worry about. As long as you keep an eye on what Permissions the app requires and it's a genuinely well made product (with good reviews and ratings) then it's a pretty secure system. The danger comes from confusing Permission explanations and larger complex apps requiring more than you think it should just to talk to itself. It's easy to accept updates to apps without checking the permissions again though, which may not be clever.