android
Old 06-12-2012, 05:31 PM

Default Galaxy 5.0 VS Ipod touch 4g (Soundcards, apps, internet, etc)

I know this has been done and said over and over.. but.. I've come to the point where Im looking for a mp3 player with the Apps and internet, Im not tied to neither, so..

Which is better? Sound card wise(I know the 4.0 has the better card compared to the 5.0, but is the 5.0 really that 'bad'? Im not sure what the Ipod has though), how do the free apps fair/play on the 5.0 vs the Ipod touch? And internet, is it fast? or a bit laggy on the 5.0?

Also anything else that would put the Galaxy on top, please tell.. All info is welcome.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-12-2012, 05:32 PM

Also, I forgot.. The camera, it is a key factor. Thus is why Im questioning the Ipod, as I've heard it's a 0.7.. (compared to a 3.2?) How is the camera on the 5.0?

Old 06-12-2012, 06:17 PM

i dont know much about the ipod but i can tell you wont regret the 5 inch screen on the 5.0
it makes the device a pleasure to use and the camera is really good it suprised the hell out of me. especially the flash, that is a neat feature. i am not a big camera expert but for me this thing could replace a dedicated camera anyday. it takes awesome clear pictures with the flash as if you were in full light even in the pitch black. shutter speed is a little slow but other than that i could not really see to much of a difference in pic quality between this and a galaxy s smartphone with an 8 mp camera.
the internet it nice and fast also, much faster than i thought it would be. (this is my first device of this type i have ever owned)
basically everything thing about this thing absolutely blew me away how good it is and what it can do! i dont know much about the sound cards but to me my 5.0 had good clear LOUD sound. the one thing that amazed me the first time i put the headphones on is how loud it is. i had regular cassette walkmans and portable cd players and all that years ago and thing is louder than all those by far. almost hurts your ears. gps is an awesome feature i dont think ipod has. ability to use micro sd card is nice to. fm radio also ,thats cool and a hundred other things i cant think of right now
you wont regret going with a 5.0

Old 06-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Damn NY'ers,... always talking crap!!!

Yeah, there are pluses to both devices. And if your an Android lover the 5.0 is kickazz!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:08 PM

I;ve heard that the ipod's screen breaks even from low heights (I.E even a foot..) does anyone know how the 5.0 fairs with this? (Build Q too? is it well made? Though I know it's plastic?)

Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 PM

Luckily i have never dropped mine. My son however has dropped his 4.0 from about 3ft and it survived.
I dont think the 5.0 would break falling from only a foot though. The build quality is very good in my opinion, as good as it should be and then some for what it is.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:10 PM

I have an Ipod Touch, actually 2 of them, gen 3 and gen 4. I also have an SGP 4, 5 and 4.2. They're all excellent devices. If you're an audiophile using very expensive earphones, which I'm not, you might find one is much better than the other. But for most people, and I have a pretty good ear, I think, both sound just fine. Audiophiles are people who love pure sound reproduction. Most music lovers, and I am one, are happy enough with very good sound and both devices give you that.

Really it's all a matter of taste. I prefer the Android devices.

I do have Cowons and a Sony and a Sansa but with normal $30 earphones I can't really tell a lot of difference. Cowon has more enhancement options but I usually prefer to listen with the default settings and except for experimenting I rarely change them.

My suggestion is try to get to play with the various players and see what you like. They're all excellent.

Barry

Old 06-13-2012, 02:59 PM

I dropped mine from a parked car onto the pavement, while I was getting out and came out okay. Just a scrach in the corner. And my daughter dropped it straight down at a bowling alley (no carpet). Both times without a case. I then got a simple white gel case and now my baby son throws it a few feet when he gets upset. No issues, no screen damage each time.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:33 PM

As to apps - I have seen a lot of apps that have been of interest - particularly ones that are put out by large companies that access features for their products - all have been for Ipod/Iphone/Ipad and not for Android. So if there are particular apps that you are interested in check out first that they will work with the device you buy.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:36 PM

Ditto to everything they said. Large screen, good sound, options that iPod doesnt give you, price, build Quality, & FM radio
I'm so glad I didn't but the iTouch.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Damn NY'ers,... always talking crap!!!

Yeah, there are pluses to both devices. And if your an Android lover the 5.0 is kickazz!!!
+10

Old 06-21-2012, 08:09 AM

I have a 5.0. I can't compare it to an ipod touch since I don't won one. To me, the smaller screen, fact that there's no microSd card and the whole iTunes thing would make it a no-go. Plus apples stranglehold on the market and high profit margins...no thanks.

The 5.0 is fantastic. Sound quality is not bad. I'd say noticeably less than my Sansa Fuze. but acceptable. The camera is atrocious. For me, the megapixel count is not very important; it's how the firmware processes things. The 5.0 has a VERY, VERY long shutter lag. Forget taking pictures of kids. For relatively still shots in good light, the image quality (at max) is really very good. It has a weird firmware quirk such that third party apps using the camera get backwards images on the screen. Not the final photo; just the screen "viewfinder" image. Also the camera freezes up for me quite a lot. Sometimes to where I have to reboot. On the plus side, the Panorama mode is quite good and video is quite good.

I have dropped mine, without case, from my belt pouch to pavement while running. Hit right on the corner. Small scratch. No breakage.

They are nice devices- especially for the price.
Apps? What can you say? There are millions out there. Some are great, some OK and some simply suck canal water.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:51 PM

one of many reasons to avoid Apples

"Next iPhone update could break unlocked phones"

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9783713-37.html