android
Old 06-22-2012, 11:46 PM

Default ROMs and battery life

hey,

I've recently flashed the Eryigit ROM based on the Chinese player stock. I'm wondering how battery life has been for those who've flashed this ROM as well as for the European-based stock? I've less 3rd party apps running in the background/loading, but seem to have a worse battery life. (eg 5% loss in an hour on standby) I get that the Entropy kernel should lead to a slightly better battery life, so I'm wondering whether or not if the customizations on the Chinese-based stock is what's sucking the life out of it, I suppose

I've heard that the CM mods are great with regards to this, but since I do use the camera (lugging the actual cam anywhere can be a drag), I'm holding off for now.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-23-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alljokingaside View Post
hey,

I've recently flashed the Eryigit ROM based on the Chinese player stock. I'm wondering how battery life has been for those who've flashed this ROM as well as for the European-based stock? I've less 3rd party apps running in the background/loading, but seem to have a worse battery life. (eg 5% loss in an hour on standby) I get that the Entropy kernel should lead to a slightly better battery life, so I'm wondering whether or not if the customizations on the Chinese-based stock is what's sucking the life out of it, I suppose

I've heard that the CM mods are great with regards to this, but since I do use the camera (lugging the actual cam anywhere can be a drag), I'm holding off for now.
You have something HORRIBLY wrong if your losing 5% an hour in standby on a 5.0, I have a 4.0 and with the right ROM and settings can reach 11+ hours on 1% of battery while "sleeping", it sounds like your player is never reaching "deep sleep", I would suggest installing "No Frills CPU" from the market and change your governor to "smartassV2" and the I/O to "deadline" with the max clock as high as you want and the min clock as low as possible, which on my 4.0 is 100 Mhz.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:39 AM

thanks for the re:

seems like the battery was miscalibrated. recalibrated and i'm on day two of light usage with 65%

still, the smartass governor sounds like an option worth checking out

Old 06-24-2012, 03:53 AM

looks like the smartassv2 (or v1, for that matter) doesn't come with the Entropy512 kernel.

it does, however, look like it can be d/l and installed manually:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/dr...-governor.html

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10911-con...cpu-governors/

Last edited by alljokingaside; 06-24-2012 at 04:03 AM. Reason: added link

Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 PM

update: flashing the zips via CWM only partially copied. either a permissions thing or the zips set up for CM7.will update.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:25 PM

I believe the chinese based rom defaults the wireless to never sleep which might account for your battery loss. Check your wireless setting to see what it's set to. You should also check the battery status in the settings, it will tell you if there are any apps that have been draining your battery.

Also you shouldn't believe the battery percentage on our players too much anyway, Entropy said that they are very inaccurate to begin with.

Quote:
Q: My battery will never charge past 80%, why?
A: The way Samsung estimates state of charge on our devices is extremely primitive and, in general, poor. Instead of a dedicated fuel gauge IC, they have tried to estimate battery directly from voltage with some funky compensation offsets depending on current operating state - the offset for wall charging is so high that it is impossible for the battery to read higher than 80% when on a wall charger unless you're putting the device under heavy load to activate some of the other compensation offsets. Sometimes it seems like the compensation code doesn't "kick in" when plugging in a charger, allowing you to see a higher number, other times it'll get "stuck on" even after removing the charger. The general thing, though, is that any percentage estimates of battery state are WILDLY inaccurate.
Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1445840

Old 06-25-2012, 06:29 AM

yeah, figured as much initially. the recalib seems to have straightened things out though. plus, i generally keep the wifi off when idling, though not recently...
thanks for the re:

EDIT: yeah, defaulted to never sleep.

actually, you might be able to help advice on a tangential matter-

been researching on alternate governors, other than the Entropy's offerings, and have been looking at smartassv2 and interactiveX. the guides available for other devices mentions folders that don't exist on the SGP5. the bypass seems to be to set up a script in init.d to activate drivers I found online to point to those drivers (to be placed in an arbitrary root folder- /etc or /lib folder) and edit the "scanning_alternate_governors" file in /sys/modules/system/cpu/cpu0 to list the governors as viable alternative. my question is -

would any of this f* the player up? i don't foresee any problems, but then, I am relatively new to linux and android devices.

EDIT: the guides mention that in addition to the driver (ie 04cpu_smartassv2.ko), I'll need to install symsearch.ko. A quick search online has yielded nothing. The file seems to be encoded in binary and makes quick references to the General Pub License and ARMv7.

Last edited by alljokingaside; 06-25-2012 at 07:00 AM.