android
Old 02-25-2013, 07:06 PM

Default YP-F3 Region Change for EU Users (Full Volume hack)

I am posting this thread for the poor owners in the EU region that cannot get the max volume out of this realy good MP3 device (which I use for sports).

When you change the region of the EU YP-F3 player you have two Options (Korean / US). They both have the FM option but the player will crash if you select it because the FM player is implemented in the hardware of the korean version.

Anyway I did not care about the FM player since I do not listen to the radio.

What I was interested in was to change the region code of the device to get by the EU restriction to the volume.

To do that you only have to change the region like on the Samsung Q3 player (it's somewhere here in these boards).

Just put this config.dat on the root directory of your device to change it to US. (Unzip it first)

Now disconect the player from your computer. The device will reboot (like on a firmware update).

When you go to the system settings you will notice that your firmware is now : 1,10 US-00-KJ4

Go and listen to your music now, the volume is at 16 and is as loud as 30 on EU mode. On 30 its too loud for me but this way you can bypass the restriction and enjoy your music at full volume.
Attached Files
File Type: zip config.zip (170 Bytes, 105 views)

Last edited by pilos; 02-25-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-26-2013, 02:55 AM
Samsung Moderator

I have 2 YP-F3:
-a sample/prototype from Samsung Korea with FM tuner. The only difference with mass production version is the CSTN panel.
-a European mass production version without FM tuner
That helps a lot to make this kind of volume tests and avoid placebo effects.

Using my Westone UM3x I can't really go over volume 10-15 without destroying my ears and the difference between US/KR and EU code is not really significant (volume 15 on EU = volume 12-13 on US/KR)

Then I plugged standard shitty earbuds and set the maximal volume (without putting them in my ears of course^^) and indeed at max volume there is a well audible difference between US/KR and EU.

As a result, from the loudest to the quietest: US/KR>EU>FR

This result surprises me a bit since Samsung used to put a volume cap only in FR region code. On older players EU is exactly as loud as KR. I should investigate on when Samsung introduced this volume cap in EU code. I don't remember KR is louder than EU on the YP-Q3 for example.

On the other hand, only people with some demanding headphones (depends on the impedance and sensitivity) may get annoyed by this volume cap. People with sensitive IEM like me will never face this issue.

PS: The YP-F3 is one of the worst Samsung player ever released, it sucks so much that I did not even review it, which is very rare... Bad quality screen (very low refresh rate, poor colors, low contrast), slow UI, bad battery life, the battery even discharges itself while the player is supposed to be OFF. Only the price is interesting in this player....
You should get a YP-U7 for sports instead. Just pick up one at Saturn in Berlin or wherever you live in Germany and you'll see what is a "really good MP3 device"
> http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...1&postcount=32

Last edited by lebellium; 02-26-2013 at 03:39 AM.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:16 PM

Thanks pilos! Now my mildly disappointing F3 is making my ears bleed...in a good way. The message warning that 'Listening To Music At This Volume Can Damage Your Hearing' when you crank it up to 30 just makes it all the more amusing.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Samsung Moderator

I hope it's only because you have a demanding headphone with impedance/sensitivity requiring more power and not to make your ears bleed. You should take hearing loss seriously, that's not a funny topic.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:38 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilos View Post
I am posting this thread for the poor owners in the EU region that cannot get the max volume out of this realy good MP3 device (which I use for sports).

When you change the region of the EU YP-F3 player you have two Options (Korean / US). They both have the FM option but the player will crash if you select it because the FM player is implemented in the hardware of the korean version.

Anyway I did not care about the FM player since I do not listen to the radio.

What I was interested in was to change the region code of the device to get by the EU restriction to the volume.

To do that you only have to change the region like on the Samsung Q3 player (it's somewhere here in these boards).

Just put this config.dat on the root directory of your device to change it to US. (Unzip it first)

Now disconect the player from your computer. The device will reboot (like on a firmware update).

When you go to the system settings you will notice that your firmware is now : 1,10 US-00-KJ4

Go and listen to your music now, the volume is at 16 and is as loud as 30 on EU mode. On 30 its too loud for me but this way you can bypass the restriction and enjoy your music at full volume.

thank u Pilos!!!

Old 11-20-2013, 03:28 AM

i've been looking for this.great hack man!!!
thank you!