android
Old 07-01-2012, 06:59 PM

Default Quick adjustment of screen brightness

Not sure if this is something that will interest people here but it felt so cool when I discovered it that I thought it was worth mentioning...

Before I go any further though, I'll point out that I've never owned an Android device before the SGP 4.0 so it might be old news, so embarrassed apologies if that's the case...

If you touch and hold the notification bar on the right hand side (ie hold the clock) the screen adjusts to full brightness. If you hold the left hand end, it adjusts to lowest brightness. Holding part way along the bar will adjust to the corresponding brightness percentage.

No need for all the multi tapping that would be required if you went through the device settings

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-01-2012, 11:20 PM

I guess some people find that to be a convenient feature but I just found it plain annoying since when I accidentally go to full brightness, my eyes go blind... I had to get an app for controlling brightness and this feature seems to have now been disabled thankfully.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:11 AM

never heard that, I just flashed Dream Ultra 2.2 and it has a brightness slider in the notification pull down.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitfliesst View Post
...when I accidentally go to full brightness, my eyes go blind...
That is a valid point

I'd imagine this being useful when going from inside out to bright sunshine hough, just to get that extra ounce of visibility.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 PM

Huh--never noticed. but it works...badly, though. Seems to require a 4 second hold or multiple taps ...hard to find the 'sweet spot'

Old 07-02-2012, 07:35 PM

Default speaking of brightness

What do you guys use for brightness, the default automatic brightness button. I find that it is too dark a lot of times when I keep it on automatic. Are there apps out there that are good, or do you guys just turn off the automatic brightness? Looking for ideas, I'm a newbie, I admit. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 PM

I use the power control widget, it has low,med,high and auto

Old 07-02-2012, 07:54 PM

By the way. That is cool! I never knew that trick. Good thing about that I'd that it is variable unlike the presets on the power control widget.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I find it extremely useful. I keep mine on lowest brightness to conserve energy. Then when I go outside, it is super easy to just flick up the brightness.

By the way, I've found it works best when it can sense you slide the bar. If you just hold and release, it does nothing. It isn't finicky for me at all, really.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:51 AM

I must admit, I hadn't tried sliding it Seems obvious now you mention it

I've only had mine for about a month. I started with automatic because it was the default but then I was doing a lot of outside map activity and felt the need to crank it up manually, but after doing some internet browsing on mostly white pages I decided that the lowest setting was really good enough (then discovered that the stock browser has its own brightness control!)

So for the time being I'm comfortable with the lowest setting and happy in the knowledge that the adjustment is so close at hand (assuming the notification bar is visible)

I assume it's more precise in landscape orientation, but you never know how fine the control is to start with. It looks pretty smooth rather than stepped. Oh and a 5.0 will surely be easier than a 4.0 too