android
Old 07-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default How to replaygain files?

So i understand rockbox has a feature that gives u replaygain, but how can you achieve this for other nonrockbox players?

What i want to do is take a selection of music (say 16gb worth) and make them all have the same volume levels, what software/method do ppl recommend?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Mp3Gain and foobar2000 can each do that. MP3gain is reversible. The link will explain how Mp3Gain does that. foobar2000 does it by applying the RG values directly to the files. That permanently alters the file and isn't reversible.

In foobar2000 the setting for the gain that will be applied is under File=>Preferences=Advanced=>Tools=>Replaygain Scanner=>Target MP3 alteration volume level (dB) :. The default value there is -89 dB. Some people like me find that value to be too low. After some experimenting I decided to go with 91 dB. Too low a value made the files too quiet, too high a value caused them to distort. I'd experiment some to find the level that's right for you.

If the files already have Replaygain values all you have to do is use the context menu under Replaygain to apply the values to the actual files. If they don't have Replaygain values you scan them first and then apply the values. Remember this action alters the files permanently.

MP3Gain is fully reversible as long as the tags it writes with the Undo values aren't altered or removed. If those tags are removed the changes MP3Gain makes can't be reversed either.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So once u use either method, and then copy those songs to my cowon i9 player the volume should be consistent from track to track? The player doesn't have to have replaygain as a feature does it?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Since the volume information is part of the file they play at a consistent volume on any player. I use the foobar2000 method on all my players that don't use Replaygain like my Sonys or Cowon i9. Whenever I send a file to a player it's on a one way trip so I don't have a problem with creating a copy then sending it on it's way.

I agree with "consistent" because they are definitely not "the same". Like any other implementation of Replaygain I've used the volume no longer jumps from too quiet to ear shattering but there are still differences.

Last edited by skip252; 07-16-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok. So i installed mp3gain, please can you confirm i'm doing the right thing. I added a folder and indeed it can see 1900+ files (my 16gb worth approx). I then set the target volume at 91 (like u do with foobar, just as an experiment). I then selected 'constant gain' instead of album gain. Correct me if im wrong but constant gain will make them all appear more same volume when shuffling entire music, yes?
I then clicked File>Track Analysis or something, anyway its moving through the files as we speak (7% done) and i can see it doing - or + for the track gain and 'Y' for clipping if needed.
BUT, say i cocked up, how do i revert to original?

Old 07-18-2012, 05:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Ok. So i installed mp3gain, please can you confirm i'm doing the right thing. I added a folder and indeed it can see 1900+ files (my 16gb worth approx). I then set the target volume at 91 (like u do with foobar, just as an experiment). I then selected 'constant gain' instead of album gain. Correct me if im wrong but constant gain will make them all appear more same volume when shuffling entire music, yes?
I then clicked File>Track Analysis or something, anyway its moving through the files as we speak (7% done) and i can see it doing - or + for the track gain and 'Y' for clipping if needed.
MP3Gain is what I used when I had an i9, and when I had a Zune HD. Like you, I had no idea how to reverse the effects, so what I did was I made duplicates of everything I planned to use on those players, and only used MP3Gain on that duplicates folder.

I ca tell you that at 91db, it told me a lot of files were clipping, so I started over and used 89db. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2012, 05:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

so what is clipping then exactly?
Is the idea to not get any files clipping?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Clipping is like distortion.....and yeah, you want to avoid it.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
This is why we put together this. The definition is there and a link to more info as well. If there's anything that you or others want added please post to that thread so we can have it added, thanks.
Quote:
Yes, unless you like waveform distortion :/

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Fab glossary, never seen that before :| <sigh>
I think i stuffed up my files with mp3gain the 'undo' is not so clear to me that it worked, so i just copied the files again from another location, will have another go.

I saw within the 'Help' section how to make all mp3's same volume so that should be fine, but if anyone familiar with mp3gain can tell me/us how to properly and safely undo a gain (put the mp3 files back to their original volumes) please let us know.

I also tried 89 but was making some songs too quiet, am trying 90 now.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 07-18-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Aight, i'm a little confused regarding this whole mp3gain and clipping business.

Below i present to you two files (which happen to be sum of my fav songs) in their original state (haven't applied any gain yet).

You'll see the volume is set to 90.
They seem to be naturally pretty loud (96 and 98.4), and clipping has a 'Y' next to it, if i apply this track gain its gonna go down by a value of 6 and 9.

So i've tried that, and i find even volume at maximum (40 on the iaudio9) its too quiet for my likes. I should point out that i don't ALWAYS listen to music THIS loud all the time, but when i fancy it i like to have the option to have the song REALLY loud if i want to.
In its original state (mp3gain unapplied) it is TOO loud at maximum 40 on my player (but perhaps ideal at 37-38).
So.. it occurs to me that I might need to set the volume of gain to being perhaps 93-94, this would allow me to set the volume of the player at 39 or 40 never needing to really touch it, I will still be happy with the level of volume attainable from these tracks, but is there any point to doing this?
I mean setting 93-94 for ALL my music, there's gonna be alot of clipping...

What to do?

Old 07-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think i'm going to analyse my whole collection, find the loudest and quietest song, and then track gain them to 93-94 and see how they both sound on the player at volume 39-40.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:08 PM

what country is the player set to? if it's EU then there's probably a volume limiter applied, set the region to anywhere else. BTW what headphones are you using that you can listen at max volume? that volume on my i9 would blow my ear drums out, i listen to mine around 11 and any where in the high teens is too loud for me.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

haha yeh nah i made sure not to set EU, i use with Ultimate Ears Super fi 5's xD
I actually have fine hearing (maybe i will pay for it later in life).

But like i said, those tracks WITHOUT being processed for gain ARE too loud at 40, i can get away comfortably at 33-35, 38 is pushing it, 40 is def distortion.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I added a folder and indeed it can see 1900+ files (my 16gb worth approx).

You're going to have a long wait if you try to do the entire group in one fell swoop. Especially if you clicked the Track Analysis Button. After it analyses them, then you'll still have to hit the Track Gain button and then wait . . . again. Best to do a few, try them out and adjust your setting as you see fit. When you settle on a level, just hit the Track Gain button. It will analyze and adjust the gain at the same time. I never bother with the Analysis button.

I found 94db works the best for me. CD's today are recorded/mastered so "hot" that most of the time MP3Gain has to tone it down to whatever setting you choose rather than bumping it up. However, the opposite is true if you've been collecting CD's for several years, as the earlier ones were recorded/mastered more modestly.

Yes, at 94db there are still a few that exhibit clipping, but frankly if you have Zero tolerance for clipping, you're going to end up with most of them at around the high 70's or low 80's, which in my opinion is just too low; you might as well have the EU cap in place.

To reverse the procedure, just go to the Modify Gain menu (above the buttons) and select Undo Gain Changes. Voila, back to the way they were.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks Tapeworm for that, yeh i realised that i would need to hit Track Gain afterwards. Nice to see sumone else using 94db.
And yeh i noticed the analysis was done anyway when u did the Track Gain, so what's its purpose then really? Is it just to see without actually applying the change? From now on i think i will just do Track Gain.
And also I realised it is better to pick a handful (like u said) and just see (hear) cuz it does take a long time...

Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
So i've tried that, and i find even volume at maximum (40 on the iaudio9) its too quiet for my likes. I should point out that i don't ALWAYS listen to music THIS loud all the time, but when i fancy it i like to have the option to have the song REALLY loud if i want to.
In its original state (mp3gain unapplied) it is TOO loud at maximum 40 on my player (but perhaps ideal at 37-38).
There's something wrong if you can take max volume from the i9......that thing is loud as hell! And that was with my tracks set at 89db.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
You're going to have a long wait if you try to do the entire group in one fell swoop. Especially if you clicked the Track Analysis Button. After it analyses them, then you'll still have to hit the Track Gain button and then wait . . . again.
Ha! I did 56GB of MP3's in one shot when I had my 64GB Zune HD. And yes, it took a long, long time, both to analyze and apply the gain.....even with my fairly fast desktop PC. I don't even know how long it took in total....I know the apply gain phase was running as I went to bed, and I let it go overnight and it finished sometime the next day.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
And yeh i noticed the analysis was done anyway when u did the Track Gain, so what's its purpose then really? Is it just to see without actually applying the change?
Yep. That's the only purpose of it. Which might be OK and/or useful if you're only doing 1 album at a time, but 16 gigs worth? Even doing just the Track Gain, with that many files to scan and change, I'd set it up to run before I went to bed at night and get back to it in the morning.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
There's something wrong if you can take max volume from the i9......that thing is loud as hell! And that was with my tracks set at 89db.....
Not the first time somebody has said there's something wrong with me

Old 07-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Not the first time somebody has said there's something wrong with me
I didn't say there was something wrong with you......just that there was something wrong!