android
Old 08-28-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosko View Post
...i think the 5.8 is too much! anybody else agree?
Yes. I stated before that I'll be waiting for an updated device in the 4" category rather than this one (this thread didn't have "5.8" in the title then so, I was a little dissapointed to find bigger than 5" rather than smaller). Anything 5+" would be too clumsy for how I use these devices (example: as a hand-held GPS while driving).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-28-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustusG View Post
Yes. I stated before that I'll be waiting for an updated device in the 4" category rather than this one (this thread didn't have "5.8" in the title then so, I was a little dissapointed to find bigger than 5" rather than smaller). Anything 5+" would be too clumsy for how I use these devices (example: as a hand-held GPS while driving).
My thoughts exactly!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 PM

Lightbulb Possible Wifi Only Version of the SG3?

So far there is only one new samsung galaxy player thats been announced. Does anyone think that Samsung will announce more than one samsung galaxy player at IFA>?

Old 08-29-2012, 01:09 AM

Talking Video of the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.8 on Youtube

Video of the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.8 on Youtube.
But it is in Russian. Can anyone translate it?
He compares it with the Samsung Galaxy S3
Yes! it has a user replaceable battery and a rear camera

The screen resolution doesnt look too bad on the SGP 5.8
despite people saying that the qhd resolution on such a big 5.8 inch
screen would look terrible.

Articles from CNET and PCWorld stated that it didn't
But there isnt a led flash on the back like the SGP 5.0 D;

This looks like a worthy upgrade from the SGP 5.0. Does anybody else agree?
In terms of portability I still need to hold it in my hand and experience it for myself

Last edited by lollicup04; 08-29-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:23 AM

That looks like way to small of a battery,also no flash sucks

Old 08-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
That looks like way to small of a battery,also no flash sucks
It's the same battery as the 5.0.

I am slightly bummed about the lack of flash, but not because of the camera....because I find the flashlight app quite useful...lol.

@lollicup04, I actually do think it looks like a worthy upgrade, except for what I just mentioned about the flash. It will be interesting to see what it prices out at....maybe at tax time I could see getting one, assuming the price is reasonable.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I just wanna know,...what the HELL is a SASUNG?!?!?!

Old 08-29-2012, 08:52 AM

It looks quite a bit smaller than the 2500ma battery in the 5.0.
I know the say it is 2500, but looks smaller. Either that or the device is a heck of alot bigger.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
It looks quite a bit smaller than the 2500ma battery in the 5.0.
I know the say it is 2500, but looks smaller. Either that or the device is a heck of alot bigger.
Where have you seen the battery in the 5.0?
To be fair, I think the device is bigger, but without seeing one next to the 5.0, it's hard to say just how much so.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:10 PM

the battery in the 5.0 is the same as the note phone (that's where I've seen it).
It will look small as the device is bigger (no brainer really).

It still looks manageable for one hand, unlike a 7inch device, which is as big as I'd want. Should be great for video!
I agree, will have to see one to get an idea of size, my mum will get my 5.0 if I do upgrade (she's fed up of the small screen of her i pod) or i piddley as i now call it.

The big question is, what makes it a media player and not a tablet? is it a way to not get sued by apple?
What IS the difference between a media player and a tablet?
and how much is it gonna be?? 5.0 sells for 170 to 220 in UK, tab 2 7 inch tablet sells for 200, Nexus 7 is 160 with quad core CPU.

answers on a postcard...

marcel

Last edited by marcel f; 08-29-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:50 PM

The battery in the Galaxy Note and the SGP 5.8 is NOT the same battery as in SGP 5.0. The battery in the Galaxy Note and SGP 5.9 might be the same identical battery. The battery in SGP 5.0 is 2500mah, but its' physical dimensions are MUCH different from the battery in the Galaxy Note. AFAIK, the battery in the SGP 5.0 is unique.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Where have you seen the battery in the 5.0?
To be fair, I think the device is bigger, but without seeing one next to the 5.0, it's hard to say just how much so.
someone posted a link on here to a site that had pics of a 5.0 dissassembled for the purpose of seeing what battery was in it. it is an elongated battery almost the whole length of the device and a third as wide.

you can see it ratio wise in the 5.0 the batt looks to be about half the size of the device and on this just a small square in the center, unless this was double the size as the 5 (not possible) it just doesnt seem right?

Old 08-29-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp View Post
The battery in the Galaxy Note and the SGP 5.8 is NOT the same battery as in SGP 5.0. The battery in the Galaxy Note and SGP 5.9 might be the same identical battery. The battery in SGP 5.0 is 2500mah, but its' physical dimensions are MUCH different from the battery in the Galaxy Note. AFAIK, the battery in the SGP 5.0 is unique.
Thank You!

Old 08-30-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
There is a limit you can only increase screen size so much before it affects overall portability. I think 5.8" is just a little to big.

5.8 might be better for people who were seriously considering the 7.0

Old 08-30-2012, 04:55 PM

I would like to see a 4 inch and 5 inch mainly a 5 because the 4.0 I have now seems a little small for long use but the 5.8 is almost too big other than that this is everything I wanted to see in a player android 4.0 and something like the phones we have now android 4.1 would have been nice though

Old 08-30-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Linux View Post
5.8 might be better for people who were seriously considering the 7.0
True,but it is leaving the realm of a player.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
I would like to see a 4 inch and 5 inch mainly a 5 because the 4.0 I have now seems a little small for long use but the 5.8 is almost too big other than that this is everything I wanted to see in a player android 4.0 and something like the phones we have now android 4.1 would have been nice though
Me too. It would be nice to have all the upgrades. But in a more normal size.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:04 AM

This is the way things are going, larger, and for a good reason. Although a majority of people seem to think that a 3 1/2" - 4" screen is what a portable device should possess, everyone that sees my 5.0 thinks the screen is great and so much more usable than their iphone/ipodtouch. I have found the 5.0 extremely portable and fits on my belt and in my pocket easily. It is great for YouTube and Netfilx, and just about every app. It is not quite so excellent for browsing standard "non-mobile" webpages. Another 1" would make a big difference. Look how all the reviewers laughed at the Note and then the SG3. "Oh, it's SO BIG! How silly. How unlike the perfect iPhone". Look how many units of both Samsung is selling. Not so silly.

I think once people get used to the idea that a portable pocket-able device CAN be larger than 4", anything in a 5-6" range makes a great deal of sense. Once you use the web browser you'll see exactly how much more. For me, the 5"-6" zone is a sweet spot. Portable, and can operate with one hand. I have rather small hands and (other than typing) use the thing one-handed all the time. I think a 5.8" would be the same. Once you get to 7" (standard small tablet), it get's too large to put on your belt or in your pocket.

I'm really looking forward to this. It would be really, really poor if this came to USA without an LED flash. And it really would be good if it had Jelly Bean by the time it gets here. These things never get an upgrade so we'd already be one generation old if it was ICS. Also, I wonder why they are still skinning with TouchWiz. I thought that jazz was pretty much done with. Android is standing on its own pretty well now.

And there seems to be quite a bit of speculation with the battery specs. The 2500 mAh on my G5.0 is great! Better be at least that big. I like that there could be 32 gB on board.

Here's what I think, and then I'll shut up. Samsung should lose the "Media Player" moniker...that's passe. Everything is a media player now. This is a Micro-Tablet. One that happens to be pocket-able.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:52 AM

I have 5 and think the screen is great. Maybe 5.8" might be a little big though?

Old 08-31-2012, 03:52 PM

I'm not sure it is too big, I've done a mock up to test it

marcel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mock up 2.jpg (55.1 KB, 25 views)

Tags
5.8, galaxy player, samsung, yp-gp1