android
Old 07-17-2012, 08:08 AM

Default Reserved Space

Hello to all of you!

I got my zune HD a little than 2 years ago and I'm still very happy with it. However, I have a question about the reserved space and other content, but first a little background story.

Some time ago I was trying out new settings with my Zune HD. I think I enabled the auto sync and sync wirelessly and this made the Zune Software synchronize all the music I had to my Zune HD. Since I didn't had enough free space on my Zune for all my music the first thing I did was try and stop the synchronizing. Too bad I didn't knew of the button that simply said "stop syncing" or I may have know but the button simply isn't there when it's being wirelessly and automated synced. I dunno, and I certainly don't want to point fingers (because I think it's my fault hehe). Because I couldn't stop the synchronizing I plugged the Zune out. Biggest. Mistake. Ever.

Ever since this happend my Zune was doing a weird thing. The music I had on it before the little "incident" could be played and I still played it. Whenever I put music on the Zune it played it too. But, after a while some songs were getting misplaced or something. I got the error "could not play this song because it has been moved or deleted" or an error message like that. When I deleted that song, other songs I had previously played perfectly got the same error. So I had to delete the song, resync it and wait for the next song to be misplaced. Even had it happen to a song multiple times (maybe it was my Zune's way of saying it was shit music?)

I wasn't bothered much by it, so I waited to do something about it, until today, almost a year after the "incident". I had my Zune HD reset and I had to install the firmware all fresh. I am synchronizing my media at this very moment, but I noticed the "reserved space and other content" tab in the device summary being 162,52 MB. As soon as I saw that I tried deleting all the content of my Zune and didn't change. So is that 162,52 MB the software/firmware on the Zune or are it misplaced songs since the incident that cannot be found anymore?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Alright, first, I'm not sure the incident and the music corrupting (which is what it is, not it bring misplaced) are related. I've had this happen before, and yes, it is frustrating.

Second, the reserved space is for things like info about friends on the zune tag network. Go into the sync settings on your software and reduce the amount of space reserved. It well never go away, but you can greatly diminish it.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM

Yes that's correct, but I've already got it at 0% and have no friends/podcasts/zune pass that could take any space. So now I'm wondering what else could take the 162,52 MB? Or is my first gut feeling correct that it is indeed the firmware of the device itself?

EDIT: It has just grown to whopping 396,33 MB and I didn't do a thing but synchronize. How does this work? :P
EDIT2: 397,87

Last edited by Broodbeleg; 07-18-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Tags
other content, reserved space, the incident, zune hd, zune software