android
Old 07-17-2012, 09:29 PM

Default Fuze wheel: easy to use??

I have a Clip+ and considering the Fuze for its larger screen.

Does using the wheel to navigate become a hassle?

Thank You

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Administrator

The Fuze scroll wheel operates smoothly but I dislike the number of turns required to work though long lists. It also took me a while to get used to it's tendency to overshoot the mark by an extra song or setting. Until I did I found myself having to backtrack a fair amount because I moved a beat too quickly and found myself about to select a song or setting just beyond what I had intended.

The volume being controlled by the wheel is also a strike against the Fuze imo. A dedicated volume button makes operation much easier for me. You can change the volume at any time with no need to enter a particular screen.

I much prefer the Clip+. The screen is smaller but it's still very readable. It scrolls through long lists quickly, but not so fast you can't tell where you're at in the file or menu tree.

I found that once I memorized the number of presses to move through the menus I could use a Clip+ for hours and never have to look directly at the screen. TBH a good part of that is because I make extensive use of playlists and backing out of one and starting another is just a few keypresses.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The Fuze scroll wheel operates smoothly but I dislike the number of turns required to work though long lists. It also took me a while to get used to it's tendency to overshoot the mark by an extra song or setting. Until I did I found myself having to backtrack a fair amount because I moved a beat too quickly and found myself about to select a song or setting just beyond what I had intended.

The volume being controlled by the wheel is also a strike against the Fuze imo. A dedicated volume button makes operation much easier for me. You can change the volume at any time with no need to enter a particular screen.

I much prefer the Clip+. The screen is smaller but it's still very readable. It scrolls through long lists quickly, but not so fast you can't tell where you're at in the file or menu tree.

I found that once I memorized the number of presses to move through the menus I could use a Clip+ for hours and never have to look directly at the screen. TBH a good part of that is because I make extensive use of playlists and backing out of one and starting another is just a few keypresses.
I really appreciate the information. You have confirmed what a few others have experienced.

The Clip+ is a great DAP, even at twice the price. If it had a larger screen, longer battery life, it would be closer to perfection.

Have you compared the SQ and UI between a Clip+ and the latest generation Nano?

Last edited by Syndrome; 07-17-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you checked out the new Clip Zip?

Old 07-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Administrator

I like the Clip but there's no way in hell I would pay twice the price! That would get it near the $100 range for a 8 GB model. I'd add another $10 and get a Sony E465. Much better build quality, screen and triple the rated battery life.

No expansion slot and the real capacity is nowhere near the stated 16 GB but I've found I can easily live with the 14 or so GB you actually get. I gave up long ago trying to carry a significant portion of my music with me. There's not a player made that would hold it all anyway.

I've experienced the Nano and it's not my cup of tea. I'd take one if they were giving them away but I wouldn't pay even the refurb price for one.

The UI isn't bad and I couldn't tell a difference in SQ when I tried volume matched listening and the EQs turned off. It's more that none of the nano EQ presets sounded right to me and the 5 band parametric EQ in Rockbox has made being able to EQ my headphones a big deal to me.

I could live without the full EQ abilities that Rockbox has. I do when I use my Sonys. However my Sonys do have custom EQ adjustments and Clearbass. That let's me make adjustments that aren't the same as in Rockbox but still sound better to me than the iPod presets.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allears18 View Post

The Clip+ is a great DAP, even at twice the price. If it had a larger screen, longer battery life, it would be closer to perfection.

Have you compared the SQ and UI between a Clip+ and the latest generation Nano?
If I was looking for something with a more readable screen than the Clip+, like you are, I wouldn't bother looking at the newest Nano. It's not that much bigger, and it is more than twice the price.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:05 PM

I actually prefer the scroll wheel on the Fuze and the earlier e200 series to the keypad and separate volume rocker on the side of the Clip players. Yes, it does take a quite a few turns to navigate a long list, but in that case you can just press the up or down button and hold it till you get to where you want to be.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
I actually prefer the scroll wheel on the Fuze and the earlier e200 series to the keypad and separate volume rocker on the side of the Clip players. Yes, it does take a quite a few turns to navigate a long list, but in that case you can just press the up or down button and hold it till you get to where you want to be.
+1

Old 07-30-2012, 02:54 PM

I have to disagree with the scroll wheel. Yea it can be great for tactile feedback but eventually the wheel will not move as smoothly and sometimes have had issues with it at points having to use my thumb and pointer finger just to move it a inch. I much prefer how the clip when it comes to usability.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc315 View Post
I have to disagree with the scroll wheel. Yea it can be great for tactile feedback but eventually the wheel will not move as smoothly and sometimes have had issues with it at points having to use my thumb and pointer finger just to move it a inch. I much prefer how the clip when it comes to usability.
+1. Scroll wheel sucks!