android
Old 07-23-2012, 02:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Advice for replacements for Super fi 5's

So ok my super fi 5's died today whilst in the field test for my i9 lol. :'(
RIP.
But those of you aware, my superfi's had that line in button and actually didn't work properly in the i9 port, bit weird, i had to tape the line in button to be permanently suppressed down for it to work right.

So anyways, i'm thinking i prolly want to avoid any headphones with line in buttons etc in case they work weird with the i9's also.

But anyway i digress, i'm looking for either a) a new pair of super fi 5's (without the line in button) or something similar.
The super fi 5's are my favourite headphone yet. They are the loudest which is important to me. I just replay gained my music to 94db and on the cowon i9 was listening at 37-39 volume, and to me sounds just right (BBE Viva on etc).
I understand to many that is way too loud... i'm gonna get tinnitus later in life for sure... i dunno.. he who gets the most tinnitus wins

The design of the actual headphone i think is also important to my earshape, the super fi's have a longish 'stalk' from the body of the ear piece to the silicon tip, I think that assists with getting a good and comfortable seal for me i.e. the body of the earpiece isn't really having any contact with the ear canal.

To date i have had Etymotic er6's, super fi 5's, v-moda vibes and soundmagic.

I'm just curious as to what ppl might recommend as a close (possibly cheaper) similar listening experience (and design) to the Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5's.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 PM

Sad to hear. I am wondering if was a cord issue. I had to replace the cord a few months ago. Ultimate Ear's still sell a replace cord for the Triple fi 10's. I ordered one for Amazon and work's like new.

http://www.amazon.com/RC-UE1-Portabl.../ref=pd_cp_e_2

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-UE-Re...=Ultimate+Ears

It is a damn shame that Logitech bought UE out. UE had great support.

Last edited by Big Sky; 07-23-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmm interesting, it is the cord, right down at the 3.5mm jack. I just tried to pull the rubber part away from the ear bud... snap.. woops. heheh, ok def new headphone time.
I'm curious tho, the link u sent above looks like it a replacement cord for the super fi range, tho perhaps i have a different version (iv, has the line in thing) its not compatible.
Maybe best thing to do is try and find another pair of non line-in super fi's and have a spare cable.

Edit: It seems the superfi 5 EB have the special connectors (so that it can take a replacement cable), not my ones

How do the superfi 5 EB compare to the superfi's anyway?
I'm kinda keen to buy a new pair of IEMs with removable cable, sick of headphones dying and its always the cable, (either where it intercepts ear or 3.5mm jack).

Edit 2: So are Super Fi 5's also known as 600 (and 600vi)? The look the same and super fi 5's aren't in the list.

Basically im keen to find out what models the replacement cable works for in the UE range.

I'm also keen on those Hippo VB's, best place to buy Jaben?

Update: I got too impatient and have bought the hippo vb's

Last edited by BruceBanner; 07-23-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:52 PM

These are the Super fi 5 pro's I am speaking of. They were simular in design to Triple fi 10 and Super fi 3's. These models the cord can be replaced. Logitech UE's can not with the exception of the Triple fi 10's which are based on the origingal design.

I forgot that Logitech UE's marketed Super fi 5's and don't have the ability to replace the cord and they look different too.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:28 PM
ABI Invaluable

If you can open the IEM housing on the Super fi 5 so you can solder in a new cable, you should be able to use any cable. Either buy cheap disposable IEMs which you like the cable on or use some of the cheap included buds, cut the buds off and use the cable to fix the Super fi 5.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
… But anyway i digress, i'm looking for either a) a new pair of super fi 5's (without the line in button) or something similar.
If you can provide as much information from here it helps abi members make better recommendations.

Quote:
… on the cowon i9 was listening at 37-39 volume, and to me sounds just right (BBE Viva on etc). I understand to many that is way too loud... i'm gonna get tinnitus later in life for sure... i dunno.. he who gets the most tinnitus wins
Are you sure you aren’t running in the EU region? If so then there’s a volume limiter, I only ask because I use my i9 between 11 to a max of 15, any louder would blow my eardrums out :/ ... fix is change the region to anywhere other than the EU

Quote:
I'm just curious as to what ppl might recommend as a close (possibly cheaper) similar listening experience (and design) to the Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5's.
If these are what you like most, why not look at the UE SuperFi 5 Pro version.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 07-24-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh i'm pretty sure i have non EU setting. When i first switched on the player I recall what I had read on the reviews (about the player) regarding the EU lower sound issue. So i swerved my choices away from EU towards USA or summin.
But this was a similar experience to the D2, X5 and even the deafening O2. I would always listen at closish to max volume. I just picked up my wifes D2, her volume was at like 15 or summin (she also uses quieter headphones than I lol), and i tested it immediately at levels 36-40. She was like wtf...
Guess i must be deaf.

Its interesting tho, like.. ppl's tolerances. Is me listening at 35-40 similar experience to you listening at 11-15?
Be interesting if we both went for hearing tests.
Perhaps I have blockage? hehe

Will see how the hippos go first before deciding about more super fi's, but i was on my second pair of the super fi's when they broke, so i know they're shoddy build. I NEVER bunched the cords up either just placed carefully in a large desk drawer, always removed from the body of the ear piece not the cable when pulling out ear.
So if i go down that route again i will definitely look for the removable cable variety.

Shame tho, my local guy in oz is selling the Ultimate Ears 600's (look like super fi 5's) for just $50AUD. But they're not the same as super fi 5's are they?

http://www.logitechshop.com.au/ultim...earphones.html (of course i realise these are the fixed cord variety, but still at that price if they are the same as super fi 5's i might be tempted)

Old 07-24-2012, 07:43 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
... Perhaps I have blockage? ...
You might, I would certainly go to an audiologist to have them tested and professionally cleaned. I think you might be surprised how much gunk they can take out if you've never had it done.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh, yer prolly right.
Interesting fact, i can't equalize, i have to manually do it. I was flying into Australia in my early 20's and when the plane was landing I couldn't equalize the pressure, I suffered incredible back of the head pain and lost sight for 5mins or so (during landing), after touchdown I couldn't hear properly for awhile. From that day onwards i had to manually equalize, I felt as tho i lost the ability for it to happen automatically (like through swallowing, chewing etc).
To this day I live in an area where I drive up and down fairly steep gradients, I have to manually equalize.
One of the days i work i travel upwards of 854m elevation. I notice on the return trip (coming back to my normal elevation of residence) I hear my music clearer on my player whilst driving back.

I would be interested in a poll tho, to see what other ppl with similar equipment listen at what volumes etc.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:20 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
... I would be interested in a poll tho, to see what other ppl with similar equipment listen at what volumes etc.
Nice idea and I'd like to make one but I'm not sure how to make it useful. This is because of three things; one - different brand players and even different models have different levels of mW outputs. Two - some headphones are easier to drive than others and these would be louder than higher ohm headphones that are harder to drive to louder levels without an external amp. Third - volume measurements vary from one player to another, for example my i7 is very powerful and I listen to it (level 7 or 8) at a lower numeric level than the i9 (level 11 - 15). Although the actual sound level I'm hearing is probably the same. You could do one for the i9 but AFAIK there aren't very many users of it here. And since we all have different players and phones, the answers to the poll wouldn't be useful IMO.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh yer right, and I noticed (of course) once replaygaining my files that comes into factor as well.

Perhaps if we had a file/song to download and then specified ppl to leave their equipment on neutral (no tinkering) and then ask them to specify what headphones they use (no amps) and what volume level seems comfortable for them (or closest in volume to what they are most accustomed to listening too).

I mean we have a few sansaclip+/zip and fuze users, as well as cowon players.

Edit: but back to my earlier question about the Super fi 5's and the 600's, are they the same? I'm reading conflicting reports. Apparently same components, but the 600's are worse (build quality at least, but then i thought the super fi 5's were bad build quality also). Some say the 600's need burn in time...
I'd be really interested to know, cuz for $50AUD its a steal. I might have to grab them just to see...

Update: Stuff it, i just bought them, im too impatient. Worse case scenario my wife has a new pair of IEMs (her current ones are some awful creative freebies, they surely have to be better than them).
I didn't want to leave it too long since hearing my bust super fi 5's (2 days ago last time working), so hopefully i get them before the week is out.
I will have Soundmagic e10's, Hippo VB and UE 600's to add to my collection xD

Last edited by BruceBanner; 07-24-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 PM

Smile UE 600 versus UE SuperFi 5

Hi everyone,
I'd like to buy new headphones. I'm hesitating between UE SuperFi 5 and UE 600. Could you tell me what headphones have the most powerful bass please?
Thank you guys, and sorry for my english (I'm french...)

Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have owned both, they are NOT the same. Volume wise they are similar but the UE 600 carry ALOT more hiss and lack the 'quality' punch the super fi 5's had. Avoid UE 600, Sound Magic E10's are a far better choice, or buy legit super fi 5's (keep receipt as super fi 5's are renowned for not passing their 1yr sell by date).

Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 PM

Thumb Up

Well... I'm gonna buy the Sound Magic E10's then. Thank you so much for your advice!

Old 01-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

good choice. love my E10s

Old 01-22-2013, 01:51 PM

Last question: is the E10's bass as powerful as UE 600's bass? I'm really looking for extra powerful bass (I only listen to rap and hip hop music).

Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

E10's vs UE 600's, Yes, E10's vs Super Fi 5's... perhaps not (imo)

Old 01-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I havent had the UE but did come from a Hippo VB, Fischer Audio Eterna, and Velodyne vPulse. The E10 is just fine for bass. I listen to a lot of the same stuff.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I personally find the E10's to have better handling of Bass than the Hippo VB's.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM

Thumb Up

Perfect! Thank you so much! You guys are the BEST!