android
Old 02-12-2015, 03:32 PM

Default Clip+ dead (clicking noise, no other sound)

My 4th clip+ is now dead, 2 months out of the 2 years warranty.

Is there anything comparable at the moment (in size and features), or do I just buy my 5th?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-12-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kache View Post
My 4th clip+ is now dead, 2 months out of the 2 years warranty.
But is it really dead? Try holding down the power button for thirty seconds or perhaps even much longer.
Quote:
Is there anything comparable at the moment (in size and features), or do I just buy my 5th?
Fifth or SanDisk Clip Zip.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
But is it really dead? Try holding down the power button for thirty seconds or perhaps even much longer.Fifth or SanDisk Clip Zip.
Dead as in, the sound is gone, replaced by clicking every 1 second (or so it seems).
It still technically works (the playback bar still moves), it just doesn't output any sound.

I have no use for a color display, and I'd rather have a higher battery life.
5th it is, I guess.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You might try manually reapplying the firmware, in case this is a firmware glitch.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Can't say I've ever heard of that happening. I've read about them completely dying or not putting out any sound because of a broken headphone jack but not a regular ticking noise. That has me thinking if you're getting that much there's a chance you may be able to revive it.

I'd at least try reinstalling the firmware. Directions on how to do that are here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=51524 There's also link there to the firmware. You could also try putting it in MSC mode and checking the file system for errors using whatever disk checking utility your OS has. Flash memory sometimes decides to act up and fixing the file system has cured that for me more than once.

If none of that works a Clip+ is what I'd recommend. Unfortunately there isn't anything I know that I'd think of a good replacement at that size.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Can't say I've ever heard of that happening. I've read about them completely dying or not putting out any sound because of a broken headphone jack but not a regular ticking noise. That has me thinking if you're getting that much there's a chance you may be able to revive it.

I'd at least try reinstalling the firmware. Directions on how to do that are here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=51524 There's also link there to the firmware. You could also try putting it in MSC mode and checking the file system for errors using whatever disk checking utility your OS has. Flash memory sometimes decides to act up and fixing the file system has cured that for me more than once.

If none of that works a Clip+ is what I'd recommend. Unfortunately there isn't anything I know that I'd think of a good replacement at that size.
It's not uncommon, and it appears without solution:
https://www.google.be/search?q=clip%2B+clicking+noise

Old 02-12-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
You might try manually reapplying the firmware, in case this is a firmware glitch.
It's not, the issue appears in both the Sansa and the Rockbox firmwares. Most probably the DAC is gone.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:35 PM

My first Clip+ has been acting up this week.

Two symptoms on separate occasions:
  1. Audio volume fading in and out.
  2. Audio quit altogether even though song is still playing on the Now Playing screen.

Thought it might just be a bad headphone connection, but jiggling the cord and plug make no difference.

However rebooting the player corrected the problem both times.

I'm running the same Rockbox daily build on my newer refurbished Clip+ with no issues, so I suspect my old one is just beginning to die after four plus years of use five days per week.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
My first Clip+ has been acting up this week.

Two symptoms on separate occasions:
  1. Audio volume fading in and out.
  2. Audio quit altogether even though song is still playing on the Now Playing screen.

Thought it might just be a bad headphone connection, but jiggling the cord and plug make no difference.

However rebooting the player corrected the problem both times.

I'm running the same Rockbox daily build on my newer refurbished Clip+ with no issues, so I suspect my old one is just beginning to die after four plus years of use five days per week.
Interesting, I've noticed those two problems in the last 6 months as well. I guess they are signs of the DAC dying.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:38 AM

Hello, and buongusto. I don't know if this helps at all, but a friend was just talking about a similar problem IRL; I am unable to get a hold of them at the moment, but they'd mentioned it happening right after wearing their clip in a severe winter rainstorm and that afterwards they'd heard the dead air/clicking sound, with no way to restore the Clip+ to operating ability.

I have no idea if water or weight can subtract years from the DAC's life - if the DAC going is what the problem is - but figure any information that helps get to the source could, at least, aid in appraising the problem.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:49 AM

Default clicking sound -> short?

As for the clicking sound: I recently bought 2 refurbished clip+ from the bay (seller dealfisher). Unfortunately both had a loose headphone jack. So I dared to crack them open and re-solder the jack (instructions from youtube).
It turned out that I had two different board layouts: for one the soldering was no problem, for the other I created a short to a closeby (I believe) resistor.

Checking the jack, I also heard a clicking sound on one channel (more than once per second). Removing the superfluous soldering tin and thus the short fixed this.

Bottom line: I believe a short on the board can also trigger this clicking sound.