android
Old 01-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Samsung Moderator

Unhappy Clip Zip discontinued

Was looking for a 2nd Clip Zip and just noticed that most French webshops don't sell it anymore.

I also checked on Amazon.fr/de/es/it/com/co.uk: Amazon itself only have a very few left in stock. Most of Clip Zip still available are now sold by marketplace sellers at crazy prices.

On Amazon FR only the 8GB grey version is still sold and shipped by Amazon.
But I already have it in that color so I want my backup Clip Zip to be black instead.
For a few hours today they claimed that they'll get the black one in stock again from January 25th. So I ordered it immediately. Now it's listed as out of stock again. Will see if I'll get the very last one or if that was a mistake.

Amazon US and UK explicitly say "Discontinued by Manufacturer".

If you want one, I suggest you to get it soon from a trusty seller before it's too late.
I don't trust all those marketplace sellers who sometimes still have in stock long-discontinued products. You don't know how their stocking conditions are and in the end, how healthy the battery will be.

Looks like Sandisk killed the Clip Zip because of the similar Clip Sport.
RIP Clip Zip (2011-2014)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-17-2015, 03:41 PM

Aw that sucks, hope you get the one you ordered. I've heard many great things about the Clips, mainly the Clip+ though. The only downside I've noticed about the Sport when compared to the Zip is that it seems flimsier and plasticy. But I haven't actually held any in my hand, only read specs online.. So I think it's a smart thing to phase one of them out since they're so similar apart from aesthetics.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 01-17-2015, 06:27 PM
Samsung Moderator

There's a major difference between the Zip and the Sport: No rockbox for the Sport

Old 01-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Clip Zip+?

Old 01-17-2015, 06:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
Aw that sucks, hope you get the one you ordered. I've heard many great things about the Clips, mainly the Clip+ though. The only downside I've noticed about the Sport when compared to the Zip is that it seems flimsier and plasticy. But I haven't actually held any in my hand, only read specs online.. So I think it's a smart thing to phase one of them out since they're so similar apart from aesthetics.
There are many more downsides to the Clip Sport, it sadly shouldn't even be a contender for anyone looking for a mp3 player. Build quality wise I liked the Sport size and look more than the aforementioned clips, but it's what's going on inside that matters, and it's bad.
And no rockbox can save it

Old 01-17-2015, 10:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Clip Zip+?
Unfortunately, seemingly nothing on the at least immediate horizon . . . . And I want my UberClip!

Old 01-18-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
There's a major difference between the Zip and the Sport: No rockbox for the Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
There are many more downsides to the Clip Sport, it sadly shouldn't even be a contender for anyone looking for a mp3 player. Build quality wise I liked the Sport size and look more than the aforementioned clips, but it's what's going on inside that matters, and it's bad.
And no rockbox can save it
Oh, I see. That's too bad.
I've never actually used Rockbox in anything though... My days of using a dedicated MP3 died out after my X-Fi2 became old and obsolete. I mostly listen to streaming internet radio anyway these days.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:21 AM
Samsung Moderator

Look at http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/CreativeZENXFi2Port
Just for fun

Old 01-18-2015, 09:27 AM
Administrator

While it's sad to hear it's discontinued I can't say I'm surprised. With the market for mp3 players having shrunk the way it has the features of the Clip+, and Clip Zip and Sport have too much overlap to continue offering them all. The Clip+ has been the #1 best seller on amazon for what seems like forever and the sport is relatively new. That has axing the Zip make the most sense.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Neat, very similar to flashing custom Android ROMs which I've done for years. Don't think I'll give it a shot though, I'm not even sure where my X-Fi2 is. It's in a drawer somewhere.. Maaaybe even somewhere behind my screen on my cluttered desk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
While it's sad to hear it's discontinued I can't say I'm surprised. With the market for mp3 players having shrunk the way it has the features of the Clip+, and Clip Zip and Sport have too much overlap to continue offering them all. The Clip+ has been the #1 best seller on amazon for what seems like forever and the sport is relatively new. That has axing the Zip make the most sense.
A couple of years back I was close to buying a Clip+. It has a very good form factor for portable audio in my taste.

Last edited by Habhome; 01-18-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:03 AM

I bought a second Clip+ a few months back, when my Fuse died. My first + is still going strong though. I think the + represents the zenith of Clip-dom. The Zip, to me, didn't offer any real improvement and was actually inferior in a few respects. So RIP Zip.

It would be nice to see genuine improved Clip from SanDisk. I much prefer mine to listening on a smart phone.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Good thing I purchased a spare player last year in March. Bestbuy had them on (4GB) clearance for $19.99 at that time. Got a red one for myself & a black one for my 90yr.old aunt.

Tags
clip, discontinued, sandisk, sansa, zip