android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 04-07-2011, 05:24 PM

Default How to easily create playlist on clip+ combining songs from card and internal memory?

hello,

I have a sansa clip+ with a microSD card, I have music on both and I'm trying to make playlists playing songs both from the card and the internal memory.
I'm on linux (ubuntu) but can use a computer with winXP, if needed.

When I first got my clip+ I browsed this forum and the net but wasn't able to find the right stuff to do. The last thing I tried was to create a playlist (m3u) containing all the songs I want with two lines for each songs:

/MUSIC/same-song.mp3
/<microSD1>/MUSIC/same-song.mp3

and putting the playlist file in the same location as the root playlist, or in the playlist folder on the internal memory.
I was thinking that while playing, it would play the right path and skip the wrong one, but it doesn't work and only play songs off the internal memory.

if i make a simple two songs playlist, one song from the card, one from the internal memory, so using right away only the right path for the songs, it works.

But I really can't see myself doing that by hand or memory for all my songs, so I'm looking for some kind of software I guess?
Or any idea, really.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There are two programs that I believe can do this; however, I have personally tried neither. YAPL and Video4Fuze. Hopefully you can find links to them by searching the forum.

Steve

Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 PM

I started using Video4Fuze a few weeks ago for the same purpose that you're looking for. I'm on an XP system, so I can't speak to whether or not the program will work in Linux, and obviously all of my post will pertain to how the program behaves in XP. The program does what I need it to do, my only minor complaint is that it doesn't have the same "drag & drop" capability as the playlist editor I was using before (Winamp), but I guess that's not such a big deal since I could only get Winamp to create playlists for songs in one location or the other (I even tried the same syntax you did with the path names, to no avail.).

A few notes from my experiences:

1. Video4Fuze creates the playlists in .pla format.
2. I saved my playlists in the MUSIC folder of my internal memory, and all the songs are found when the Clip+ reads the playlist. You can probably save the playlist wherever you like and still have it work.
3. The program has one button for adding songs from internal memory and one for adding songs from the card. When you click either button, it opens up a standard Windows "File Open" type dialog box, and will actually let you open a file from any location on your computer. However, take caution to only open files from the location corresponding to the button you pushed, because the program uses the button selection as a basis for placing either "mmc0" (internal memory) or "mmc1" (card) at the beginning of the path for the song. The program itself is not smart enough to know what drive is the Clip+ internal memory and which is the card. It trusts that when you click one of the two buttons, you are smart enough to only pick files from that location.
4. Due to the use of the "File Open" dialog box, you can only add files from one folder at a time, and must repeat the operation for each different folder you wish to add files from.

Hope this helps. Feel free to post back if you have more questions.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Administrator

video4fuze works just fine in Linux. It was developed as a Sansa Media Converter replacement for Fuze owners that work in Linux. The ability to convert photos and create playlists came later. There a Linux dependecy on fuzemux so be sure to get that from the link on the video4fuze homepage and you're good to go.

I've used YAPL in windows to create combined playlist with a Fuze but it's never shown any signs of doing that with a Clip+ when I tried. I won't say that it can't, it may work on someone else's system and player. But I can't remember seeing anyone else say they had any success making playlists on a Clip+ using YAPL.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:27 PM

You can't combine files from both the internal and external memory into a single playlist using the .m3u format. For that you need to use the .pla format.

Here's a thread with a link to an .m3u/.pla converter I've used sucessfully. I'd d/l the newest version toward the end (if it's still available). Don't know if it will work on Linux though.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
You can't combine files from both the internal and external memory into a single playlist using the .m3u format. For that you need to use the .pla format.

Here's a thread with a link to an .m3u/.pla converter I've used sucessfully. I'd d/l the newest version toward the end (if it's still available). Don't know if it will work on Linux though.
I used the playlist creator you linked to when before I Rockboxed my Sansa E2xx players. I can't remember if I ever tried the last version but I had indifferent results with the ones I did try.

You've tested the latest version on a Clip+ and it works? If so it would be another nice addition to the very limited options for creating memory spanning playlists on the Clip+.

Last edited by skip252; 04-11-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Listed wrong model in question

Old 04-12-2011, 03:21 AM

i can make foobar2000 create mixed internal/external card playlists for rockbox but i have no idea how to make it work for the OF. i can post instructions later if anybody is interested.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2003 View Post
i can make foobar2000 create mixed internal/external card playlists for rockbox but i have no idea how to make it work for the OF. i can post instructions later if anybody is interested.
Please do. I make my Rockbox playlists using fb2k, or any software that can create a .m3u playlist. I just do a "find and replace" to correct the file path for the external memory to \<microSD1>. Actually I can get the same results by just saving the playlists to the card.

It's something I've become accustomed to and don't find inconvenient now that I'm set up. However if there is a more elegant solution you use please post it when you get a moment. I'm always looking for a simpler way to do things. I'm sure some of our other Rockbox users would appreciate it also.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:18 PM

i'll write this for anyone who hasn't use foobar before. it's bit of a faff first time round.

you need foobar and the foo_utils component.

http://www.foobar2000.org/download
http://foosion.foobar2000.org/compon...n=0.6.2+beta+6

how to install components: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....ll_a_component

for this to work best, you'll want the drive letters for your clip+/card to stick to the same one each time. you can do this by using disk management (start>run>diskmgmt.msc). right click each device and select "change drive letter and paths" and then pick something like T: and U: - then no matter what other devices you have connected, your clip+/card should be assigned these letters on every further use.

with foobar and foo_utils now installed, start foobar and go to file>preferences>tools>text tools. you'll see 3 dialogs:

header: clear this so it's blank

body:

Code:
$replace(%path%,\,/,T:,,U:,/<microSD1>)$crlf()
here you need to substitute T: and U: with your own drive letters - the first one being internal memory and the 2nd, external.

footer: clear this as well

now that's all the hard work out of the way, simply start with a blank playlist and add files directly from your plugged in device. use file>add/add folder/drag drop from explorer/whatever takes your fancy. you can of course drag/drop within the playlist to re-arrange files.

once you're happy, hit ctrl-a to highlight all files. now right click and select "legacy commands (unsorted)>save text". when the "save text" dialog pops make sure you select "all files" from the "save as type" drop down box. now browse to the internal memory (i haven't tested external) and save the file with a .m3u8 extension. it's very important you do this. m3u files won't work. i'm pretty sure it will work from any folder - you just need to browse rockbox in file mode to find it - i've tested from the root directory and a folder named "Playlists"

and that's it.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ marc2003: Great stuff man - thanks for sharing

But I am too lazy to test myself so I will leave it to more enterprising folks like skip252 to give it a shot
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-13-2011, 03:05 AM
Administrator

Works very nicely, thanks marc2003. I think that if you have even a passing familiarity with fb2k this will be very easy to setup. And once it's setup it rocks. I get the same playlists I did before but there's no need for using a text editor to correct file paths. Correcting the file paths wasn't difficult, just a simple find and replace . But I do like the neatness of being able to do it all in a single software.

I think it's the thoroughness of your directions that intimidates lestatar. I always assign drive letters to each of my MSC players so that was done. All I had to do was add foo_utils to my fb2k setup to get the software ready. Open one menu, backspace out a couple of lines then cut n' paste your line in, done.

I actually spent more time going over your directions a few times than I did on the physical setup. You seem to be right that the playlists can be stored anywhere on the player. I made and placed them on the internal and external root and in various folders. The playlists worked wherever regardless of save location.

I'm going to keep testing here and there just to be dead sure this always works as well my first few test runs. But TBH this seems to have a lock on being a keeper. Thanks again.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 PM

Hi everyone,

I am a newcomer, so be good to me. Here's my modest attempt to help.

I am using Windows 7 pro with a Clip Zip 8GB internal and external 32 GB card, and here's what I do:

With the device plugged in my computer, under autodetect USB mode, I simply right clic on any song ON the player (maybe preferably on the internal memory but maybe not necessarily) and select "créer selection", which is french for something like "create playlist" I suppose on english systems.

The new playlist then appears as a small window (a simple application it seems) with the song I selected in it. The playlist file, which is in .pla format by default, is located, again by default, in the folder of the song I first selected.

I can rename and move this .pla file in the playlist folder of the internal memory of the device. I then add songs that are either from the internal or external memory on the device directly to the opened playlist window using drag and drop. I can also do simple editing like moving songs up and down.

When I disconnect the device, and after a very very long 20 min waiting for the database to update (I have 32 GB of music in there), the new playlist then appears in the playlist menu of my Zip and works very well.

I don't know exactly where this small app comes from. It's not something I specifically installed, I think it may come with the Zip itself or from Windows 7.

I hope this helps someone.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

Same thing with more detail here. Just substitute Clip+ for wherever you see Fuze.

The problem was and is that playlists made the way you describe break easily and erratically. They may live through the removal of the card or a database refresh or they may not. Even the ones made with video4fuze have the same weakness.

The .pla constructs, (they're not really playlist files, more like nodes in a network) are not designed to provide direct manipulation of the relationship between files on different drives. They can be made to act that way temporarily. However just like when you hang up a phone the connection is broken, the same occurs if the network of a MTP system is disturbed.

The combined .m3u playlists made with the method marc2003 describes or that are made with any software capable of creating a .m3u playlist don't have that weakness. They are really text files that indicate where the files to be played are. The card can be removed and replaced, the database can refresh, but as long as the files can be found in the same drive location the playlist continues to work.

Creating combined playlists does require Rockbox. The Sansa firmware doesn't provide the true path between the drives.

That's all to the good as far as I'm concerned. A Rockboxed player is a lot more usable and fun.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Coppertopfrank..

I believe that comes with Vista and newer versions of Windows. Also, I'm pretty sure that the player has to be in MTP (or Autodetect) mode.

Your database refresh might be improved if you cleaned up the mp3 tags.

Steve

Old 11-08-2011, 12:04 AM

Thanks skip252.

It turns out I learned much more than I helped, but it was worth trying. I will have a look at the Rockbox thing.

Frank

Old 11-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Administrator

We all learn from from each other here. FreeZ5, Steve, that posted right after me posted something that helped me make my first working playlist a few years back. He picked that up from someone before him.

I found a way to easily convert .wmv video for a player that only accepts a very narrowly defined codec from a first time poster. I had worked on that for weeks and hadn't made any headway. With their first post they said to do it in a way that was so obvious I felt really silly when I found how easy it was. Turns out they didn't know much at all about video conversion, they just posted something they had observed when they were fiddling around.

If you run across something else that seems different, post it. At worst you spend a few minutes typing it up and someone else spends a few minutes reading it. At best we may all learn something new.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:13 PM

Talking

Marc:

I tried your method. I found an alternative that works for me.

Copy files from computer to one folder, say folder1, on computer with File Operations.

Copy folder1 to Sansa I/E memory [no permanent letter seems necessary].

Add folder1, from Sansa, to playlist in FB2K.

Save playlist [.m3u8] in folder1 on Sansa, to be consistent with where the playlist points.

Fun task for me to sort out.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertopfrank View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a newcomer, so be good to me. Here's my modest attempt to help.

I am using Windows 7 pro with a Clip Zip 8GB internal and external 32 GB card, and here's what I do:

With the device plugged in my computer, under autodetect USB mode, I simply right clic on any song ON the player (maybe preferably on the internal memory but maybe not necessarily) and select "créer selection", which is french for something like "create playlist" I suppose on english systems.

The new playlist then appears as a small window (a simple application it seems) with the song I selected in it. The playlist file, which is in .pla format by default, is located, again by default, in the folder of the song I first selected.

I can rename and move this .pla file in the playlist folder of the internal memory of the device. I then add songs that are either from the internal or external memory on the device directly to the opened playlist window using drag and drop. I can also do simple editing like moving songs up and down.

When I disconnect the device, and after a very very long 20 min waiting for the database to update (I have 32 GB of music in there), the new playlist then appears in the playlist menu of my Zip and works very well.

I don't know exactly where this small app comes from. It's not something I specifically installed, I think it may come with the Zip itself or from Windows 7.

I hope this helps someone.
I want to thank you so much for this post!!! I was so sure I was following directions to create the playlists correctly, but could not see them on the player. I then did WAIT for about 20 minutes, and when I went back I disconnected the player from my computer and the playlist was there. For some reason it takes a while. Thanks again!!!