android
Old 09-15-2014, 05:32 AM

Default Clip+ & Clip Zip questions (complete noob)

Hi fellas, long time no see.

I've been lurking here from time to time, and some of the info here has helped me buy some great music players.

But today I come to you with some questions about I product I've never owned before: Sandisk Clip.

See, I've owned mostly Sony players before, the walkman A820, E 475 and E385 (they've gotten worse, sad to say, A820 was amazing, and the new android based ones are very expensive).
So now I want to try something relatively cheaper but still gives me bang for my buck.

I've read plenty of posts, did some research, and it turns out that Clip Zip needs some mods to make it behave nicely, might need rockbox if the # of files is large but is robust, can be used during workouts and SQ is great.

Same with Clip+ but less issues with making it run smoothly (results vary though). I also happen to be new to rockbox, so I don't know what to expect.

I'm thinking of buying a 4 gb Clip zip with a 16 or 32 GB microsd card.
My confusion lies here:
Since my music collection is about 12 GB, growing still, with some files >30 minutes long, and in different formats should I:
1) Get a clip+ or Clip Zip,
2) Considering that I'll go for a 32 GB card, after formatting it to FAT32, what should I do? Upgrade the player to the latest firmware?
3) Would the player be able to manage a 32 GB card (I'll put all my music in it) without rockbox?
4) Playing in shuffle won't be a problem would it?

You'll probably be sick of noob questions like these, so sorry in advance

Thank you for any help, much appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-15-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by center_fresh View Post
1) Get a clip+ or Clip Zip,
Both are good. I have both but prefer the Zip because of its larger display screen.
Quote:
2) Considering that I'll go for a 32 GB card, after formatting it to FAT32, what should I do? Upgrade the player to the latest firmware?
Use Rockbox if you have more files or formats than SanDisk’s firmware can handle. And Rockbox is better than SanDisk’s firmware even if SanDisk’s firmware can handle your number of files or formats.
Quote:
3) Would the player be able to manage a 32 GB card (I'll put all my music in it) without rockbox?
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=67995.
Quote:
4) Playing in shuffle won't be a problem would it?
Define problem. Rockbox’s shuffle is a lot better than SanDisk’s shuffle, because Rockbox’s shuffle actually plays every song once and only once. SanDisk’s shuffle, however, is actually supposed to play songs in a random order. But SanDisk’s random algorithm is poorly implemented. I have tried Rockbox’s and SanDisk’s shuffle.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

I'm thinking you may be reading older posts that are addressing issues that have been fixed by sandisk firmware updates. I have a Clip Zip that I sometimes use with the sandisk firmware and the only issue I encounter is if I try to play AAC files longer than ~10-12 minutes. Other than that everything else works as expected.

To me that makes the only mod I can think you'll 100% need is to update to the latest firmware. That's as long as you don't try to go above the sandisk firmware limit in the link Enigmatic posted. If you want to go past that limit or extend the capabilities of a Clip Zip or Clip+ you'll need Rockbox.

I also recommend Rockbox if you don't want to deal with the sometimes lengthy database refresh that occurs if any data changes on either memory. That gets triggered for me if I just connect to a Windows PC and Windows Media Player updates it's information concerning the player.

You mention you files are in different formats. If any of those aren't mp3 or wma you'll definitely want to use Rockbox to get decent battery life. The decoders used by sandisk are only optimized for those formats. Using anything else can cut your battery life by as much as half. That's not a hardware limitation. The decoders in Rockbox are better optimized and should give battery life near to or better than the sandisk stated battery life of 15 hours.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

32 GB cards in a Clip+ and a Clip Zip without issue, apart from getting close to or exceeding the OF's database limits.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:48 AM

Coming from a Walkman, you may be disappointed with the Clip's sound quality. I used to have an original Clip (not + or Zip) at the same time as my Sony, and the SQ of the Clip was almost as good as the Sony's. Been without the Clip for a number of years, and have been using a Cowon and the Sony; just got a Clip Zip, and I was kind of surprised (in a negative way) by the SQ. (I just started a thread on this very issue, to see if others feel the same).

Old 09-19-2014, 02:10 AM

Thanks fellas, I really appreciate your input.

So this is what I've learned so far:
1) Get clip zip
2) update to latest firmware
3) Install Rockbox
4) Get micro SD card (I'm ok with a 16 gig too, I don't want an unstable player)
5) Format it to FAT 32
6) Put it in, transfer songs to it.

is this the correct approach?

Was also thinking ... besides the size, there's no difference in the 4 gb and 8 gb models right?
Also, What class SD card would suit best? I read in a post that class 2-5 are good, class 10 is too fast for the device (? something like that)

@Clipman Oh man, I was really banking on the SQ
I agree about the views on Walkman though, it's got too many kinks to make them worth putting up with.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:37 AM
Administrator

1) Get clip zip-Yes

2) update to latest firmware- No need for this if you're going to be using Rockbox. Rocbox is installed by way of a a firmware update. Just supply the latest firmware when it's requested by the Rockbox Utility and when you dual boot to the sandisk firmware you'll using the latest firmware the same as if you did a separate firmware update.

3) Install Rockbox- Optional, based on your preference. I always advise giving the sandisk firmware a shot to see if it does what you need.

4) Get micro SD card (I'm ok with a 16 gig too, I don't want an unstable player)- Still going on what's in those old posts? I have 32 GB Class 10 cards in several Clip+ and Zips. All of them perform without issue out the box. The Class 10 speed is massive overkill for anything that happens on the player but comes in handy when I put the card in a card reader to do the initial transfer of files to the card.

5) Format it to FAT 32- All cards 32 GB and below come formatted FAT32. If it makes you feel better you can use a util[ty like the SDFormatter but you shouldn't have to. I use to do that "just for luck" but never noticed any difference if I didn't so I haven't bothered lately.

6) Put it in, transfer songs to it.- Yup.

7)You forgot one- Enjoy

I'd take that SQ advice with a massive grain of salt. Clipman is saying that based on what he believes he's hearing not what's actually coming out the headphone jack.

The audio hardware and output are the same in both the Clip+ and the Clip Zip. As he's hearing something different I'm guessing he doesn't like the looks or some such. Placebo and expectation bias are powerful. It will cause people to hear things that don't exist and not hear things that do.

As far as the Walkman kinks I'll just say what some call kinks are what others would consider features. I'd happily trade any 4 non-Rockboxed sandisk players I have for a 16 GB E series Sony. That's a matter of taste so YMMV.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I'd take that SQ advice with a massive grain of salt. Clipman is saying that based on what he believes he's hearing not what's actually coming out the headphone jack.
Because, God knows, nobody would ever want to base their opinion of sound quality based on what they think they hear. Better to trust someone on the Internet who tells you what you actually hear.

As always: Listen for yourself.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipman View Post
Coming from a Walkman, you may be disappointed with the Clip's sound quality.
Or maybe not. The SanDisk Clip, SanDisk Clip+, and SanDisk Clip Zip use identical or very similar system on a chips. http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS#Models. Sound quality is excellent: http://nwavguy.blogspot.ca/2011/02/s...-measured.html.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
Because, God knows, nobody would ever want to base their opinion of sound quality based on what they think they hear. Better to trust someone on the Internet who tells you what you actually hear.

As always: Listen for yourself.
People are free to base their SQ opinions on whatever they prefer. I prefer using the results of both objective and subjective tests of someone I consider qualified to perform them. I've used that type of testing with very good results.

I tried going by the opinions of someone that just said "this sounds better\worse than that" without adding what they did to determine that. I found I had bought a number of players that sounded too close to each other for me to hear a difference once I no longer knew which player I was hearing. I like quality music sources but not so much I need to have multiple devices that are delivering the same audio quality.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As to the microSD card: any size and speed should be fine using Rockbox as the firmware--people have reported no issue with a massive 128GB microSDXC card in the little tyke (again, using Rockbox).

(And as to the Clip's EQ, maybe I just don't have the touch, but I've always found it to be sucky, and I stick to the non-EQ option.)

Old 09-25-2014, 02:00 AM

Hello all, so I've ordered the Clip Zip and the 32 gb SD drive. Apologies for the late reply, I have been travelling recently.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

I'm thinking of getting another mp3 player for my brother. Would you happen to know of one that has buttons (we all like buttons don't we ), is durable, has good SQ and EQ and a longer battery life than Clip Zip?

He's a heavy user unlike me.

Again, I really appreciate your help, fellas. Thank you!

Old 09-25-2014, 03:25 AM

I've been impressed with the iBasso DX50 I bought recently.

It has a replaceable (Samsung S3) battery, is Rockboxable and drives more demanding headphones than the Clips.

I'm not sure how durable it is, I haven't dropped it yet

It's several times larger, heavier and more expensive than the Clips though (not that I mind about the first two, Clips tend to get lost in my pocket).

Old 09-25-2014, 05:21 AM

I just checked it out.
Good lord is it expensive! Haha. Hmm, any players that can be used during a workout? He's a heavy user, and the weight and price is going to be a concern.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:59 AM
Administrator

If he's not picky about folder structure and file names being displayed correctly I'd take a look at the Clip Sport. The hardware is a downgrade from the older Clips so the database isn't as good as the older Clips. The two memories are displayed separately and are limited to 2000 entries per memory.

I don't have one now but when I did it's saving grace was it's .m3u playlist capability. Like the older Clips playlists can't be made with files from both memories. Unlike the older Clips the playlist format and location was much more forgiving. I found that if I spent a little time upfront creating playlists it wasn't bad at all.

I returned more because I strongly objected to paying full price to be a beta tester than that the Sport did anything horribly wrong. It was released with a badly broken firmware. When I find one at the right price I'll probably get another to see if the firmware update has upgraded it from mediocre to decent.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Unless you really need the longer battery charge, I'd avoid the Clip Sport and its many firmware limitations and simply fall back to the Clip+ (or Clip Zip). Frustration is not a good thing.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:58 PM

Haha yeah I've heard terrible things about the Sport.

he's got Beyerdynamic DT 770M 80 Ohm headphones. I don't think there should be a problem with the clip+ or zip being able to handle those cans.

Any other button based players?

Old 09-27-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
@Clipman Oh man, I was really banking on the SQ
I agree about the views on Walkman though, it's got too many kinks to make them worth putting up with.
I sure do agree with you about the Sony kinks! IMO, Sony has very good sound...but DAYUM! I don't think a day went by in the 4 years I owned my Walkman, that I didn't want to take a hammer to it.

As others have said, opinions on sound quality are subjective and, as with taste in art or food, are really personal. The Clip's sound isn't bad, by any means. In fact, compared to a lot of what's out there, it's pretty darn good....but in my opinion, it's not as good as the Sony. It's not that I have any real complaints with the Clip's sound- I mean, using my new Clip Zip from day-to-day as a basic utility player, it's fine; has very good bass; and it's loudness is acceptable- it's just that the Sony was better- and if I just want to sit and listen to music for the sake of listening, then I'll use my Cowon (or would have used the Sony, if it were still alive).

For me, the refurb Zip I got for $27 is good for the purpose for which I bought it: To be a back-up/rough-use player. I wouldn't want to pay much more for it than that, though; and I wouldn't be happy with it if it were my only/primary player. But for a cheap music-on-the-go don't-have-to-worry-about-it player, it's pretty good.

Haha...glad to see that I'm not the only one annoyed by all the Sony quirks!

Old 12-11-2014, 02:06 AM

Hello all!

My Clip Zip has finally arrived (ebay took way too long). Apparently Clip Zip is discontinued. Hmm.

On the manual it says Clip Zip so I'm assuming that this is the correct model.

The firmware version is 01.01.21P. I was hoping it'd be a version 2.x but oh well.

I'm thinking of installing Rockbox right away. I found the manual too:
http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...nsaclipzip.pdf

I should just follow it to the T, right? Sorry I'm just very new to this, and terribly ignorant.

Edit:
I went to http://www.rockbox.org/download/ and chose Option 1: Automatic install and downloaded the installer. Is this the correct step?

Last edited by center_fresh; 12-11-2014 at 02:21 AM.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Hello all!

My Clip Zip has finally arrived (ebay took way too long). Apparently Clip Zip is discontinued. Hmm.

On the manual it says Clip Zip so I'm assuming that this is the correct model.

The firmware version is 01.01.21P. I was hoping it'd be a version 2.x but oh well.

I'm thinking of installing Rockbox right away. I found the manual too:
http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...nsaclipzip.pdf

I should just follow it to the T, right? Sorry I'm just very new to this, and terribly ignorant.

Edit:
I went to http://www.rockbox.org/download/ and chose Option 1: Automatic install and downloaded the installer. Is this the correct step?
yes if you want to automatcially install everything. you need a copy of the original firmware though. it's really straight forward though. Just extract the original firmware once you donwload it and when the dropbox installer asks for the original firmware point it to the extracted bin file