android
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 AM

Unhappy no subfolders showing in win explorer?

Hi, someone gave me a old zen 4gb that hasn't been used in awhile. Updated to the latest firmware (UK) and now I can see the main folders on the zen. However when I click on 'Music' for example, there are no subfolders.

I want to use this to play audiobooks, I use a library service. Books download ok and I can see them in 'All tracks' but I want to have a folder entitled 'Audiobooks' say in music but, as I've read in posts, it won't read any folders I create. I planned to put my books in the 'Albums' folder but because I can't see the actual folder in explorer Putting the book in 'Music' means it doesn't show up.

Is there a way to get these folders to show in explorer or view in folder mode on the player? Basically I'm looking for anyway to store my audiobooks in a folder without having to click through and add every part of a book to a playlist.

I would rockbox but then library content wouldn't work.

Appreciate the help.

(using drag and drop, just in case it's not obvious and the zen shows up in windows as a portable device.)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-05-2013, 01:37 PM

I think the device uses ID3-tags to sort the music into "folders", that's why it doesn't show in win explorer. So you could set the ID3-tag for Album to "Audiobook" on all your audiobooks to get them in one place. It's a bit of a workaround, but yeah.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 02-05-2013, 02:02 PM

Hi Habhome,

yes your right, so I've given up on creating my own folders but shouldn't I be able to see the ones on the player, albums, playlists within the music folder. They show up in wmp etc but not in explorer.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:39 PM

Still can't see the folders in explorer but albums etc are now showing up in the right places so don't really care. I reset the zen and re-installed the drivers if it helps anyone.

Thanks again Habhome for replying.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3hunter View Post
Hi Habhome,

yes your right, so I've given up on creating my own folders but shouldn't I be able to see the ones on the player, albums, playlists within the music folder. They show up in wmp etc but not in explorer.
The folders on the payer for Albums is only a virtual grouping, no folder is ever created by the device for it, so of course you can't see it in Explorer. The reason you might see it in WMP is that I think there is a setting for it to browse using ID3-tags.. not sure as I don't use it.
Playlists should be accessible as a file in some folder on the device where it stores those.

Glad you solved it though!
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 AM

Default Zen model identification & thoughts about replacement

Hello Habhome,

I see you're a (the?) moderator. I'm brand new to this forum, though I have been using a Creative Zen 16gb MP3 player heavily (for audio books) since 2008, and have been delighted with it. I have a question I'm sure you will be able to help me with:

1) Who is the most knowledgeable (or VERY knowledgeable) regular forum participant on the subject of Creative in general, the Zen product line in particular?

2) Where would I find that (those) person(s) in the forums (since I recognize that person(s) may also be an active participant in forums other than the Creative ones)?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick Hill

Tags
audiobooks, drag and drop, subfolders, windows explorer