android
  #1  
Old 08-26-2012, 11:18 PM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,058
Default Is Google Chrome worthwhile?

Which browser(s) do you use and why? Is Chrome better or worse than IE?
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 08-26-2012, 11:25 PM
DragonBottles's Avatar
DragonBottles DragonBottles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Isle of Wight, UK
Posts: 349
Default

It's my browser of preference, give it a try, what's to lose?
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 08-27-2012, 12:51 AM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,058
Default

Why do you like Chrome? Does it work better for You Tube than IE? How is the security on Chrome? Is it better or worse than IE?
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 08-27-2012, 04:02 AM
Brett_val's Avatar
Brett_val Brett_val is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 636
Default

I like Chrome for being tiny but fully functional.

The address bar also takes google-specific search commands so you never ever have to type "google.com" first. Or any other search-engine you prefer since you can set the default.

It has it's own flashplayer and PDF reader so you don't need any Adobe crap. On a fresh install of Windows I just add Chrome, tell Windows to open PDFs with Chrome and I'm all set internet-wise.

Not sure about security, only that every tab has it's own process, which should help.
__________________
this is a link to my personal homepage which I haven't
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 08-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Satellite_6's Avatar
Satellite_6 Satellite_6 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 871
Default

I like Chrome because it's fast and has an idiot proof interface. The start up screen is my most visited sites and my bookmarks are all over the top bar. It makes browsing very easy.
__________________
satelliteaudioblog.blogspot.com

Last edited by Satellite_6; 08-27-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 08-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Chrome is also nice if you have more than one PC, because all your bookmarks, etc., will be present on each one, without having to do any type of backup and transfer.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 08-27-2012, 08:40 AM
McDougal's Avatar
McDougal McDougal is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default

You definitely should try Chrome.

I like it because it's fast, easy to use, and has a lot of extensions/themes. As Marvin mentioned, the sync feature is also nice. Since I have a Gmail account, I can just sign in with that, and all my bookmarks, extensions, saved passwords, etc. are installed.

I convinced a few friends who used IE to switch to Chrome, and they love it as well.
__________________
iPod Touch 4G 32GB; Google Nexus 7 32GB
JVC HAS600B;Pioneer SE-M390;Audio-Technica ATH-P5

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 08-27-2012, 10:02 AM
sYlt's Avatar
sYlt sYlt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 291
Default

Any 'mainstream' browser is better than IE. Firefox, Chrome, Opera, I don't know about Safari, never tried it.

I use Opera as my all time favorite, Chrome places second, Firefox I can't really tell, for some reason I never really liked it.

I find IE counter productive, those security protections are a PITA, every time I click Allow to something IE reloads the page, what a waste of time; not to mention it's often slower, doesn't have as many options as others, there's so much to go on about, even if they are small differences they are important for someone who surfs the web actively. There's tons of small things that make IE inferior. Maybe for the common foe that only browses a couple websites it's fine, but more than that it's definitely worth the change for a better alternative.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 AM
DragonBottles's Avatar
DragonBottles DragonBottles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Isle of Wight, UK
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Chrome is also nice if you have more than one PC, because all your bookmarks, etc., will be present on each one, without having to do any type of backup and transfer.
This is a big reason. That and it's stripped down and fast, little nonsense.

I also like how it has every tab in a separate process so if one crashes the rest don't crash too.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 08-27-2012, 11:20 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
ABI Invaluable
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBottles View Post
... it's stripped down and fast, little nonsense. ...
Give them time, look how long it took FF to slow down a bit, that said I like FF the best because it has a plethora of excellent plugins.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 08-27-2012, 12:04 PM
DragonBottles's Avatar
DragonBottles DragonBottles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Isle of Wight, UK
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Give them time, look how long it took FF to slow down a bit, that said I like FF the best because it has a plethora of excellent plugins.
Yeah, I guess so. I do hope you're wrong though.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 08-27-2012, 12:14 PM
McDougal's Avatar
McDougal McDougal is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default

While Chrome remains my browser of choice, I have to say, I've gotten great performance from IE9.

IE9 still doesn't have extensions or syncing, though.
__________________
iPod Touch 4G 32GB; Google Nexus 7 32GB
JVC HAS600B;Pioneer SE-M390;Audio-Technica ATH-P5

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 08-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Brett_val's Avatar
Brett_val Brett_val is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Give them time, look how long it took FF to slow down a bit, that said I like FF the best because it has a plethora of excellent plugins.
Chrome also has plug-ins/add-ons. I don't use any but I come across them once in a while.
__________________
this is a link to my personal homepage which I haven't
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 08-27-2012, 12:22 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
ABI Invaluable
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_val View Post
Chrome also has plug-ins/add-ons. I don't use any but I come across them once in a while.
I know but AFAIK there’s no ftp plugin yet or last time I checked and FF has FireFTP, which is very nice.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 PM
eboyer93's Avatar
eboyer93 eboyer93 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 838
Default

I prefer Firefox to Chrome now, they have similar interfaces now and you can sync your bookmarks between computers just as you can with Chrome. They keep make it better and better with every release. It doesn't use as many resources as it used to.
__________________
foobar2000 | Last.fm | Get Mozilla Firefox | Rockbox
Players: SanDisk Sansa Fuze 8GB + 2GB card (w/Rockbox), SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4GB + 8GB card (Red) (w/Rockbox)
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Syndrome's Avatar
Syndrome Syndrome is offline
Redneck Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,278
Default

I used to use firefox only for years, until my last windows installation a few months back.. I switched to Chrome then and prefer it for most things, its much quicker but my plugin for my mouse gestures don't work on all screens(such as new tab) which is annoying.
__________________

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock


Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 AM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,644
Default

Chrome is great if you use Android since it syncs all your tabs, history, searches, bookmarks, etc across all devices and PCs. Its really nice being able to move a tab from the PC to the phone for instance if you have to leave in the middle of reading something.
__________________
Interested in Google's Summer of Code ? PM me.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 09-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,543
Default

I use Chrome not because I love it, but because it seems to malfunction less that IE and FF. Not a good statement for the industry . . . .
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 09-01-2012, 11:37 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,061
Default

I just removed it,...I seemed to be having coding issues on my new lappy. I couldn't even click on links correctly. All my tweaking the settings & looking for a solution was for nothing. Bummer,...
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 09-01-2012, 12:38 PM
McDougal's Avatar
McDougal McDougal is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I just removed it,...I seemed to be having coding issues on my new lappy. I couldn't even click on links correctly. All my tweaking the settings & looking for a solution was for nothing. Bummer,...
That's strange....Google Chrome has never been unstable for me. And I've installed it on multiple computers.
__________________
iPod Touch 4G 32GB; Google Nexus 7 32GB
JVC HAS600B;Pioneer SE-M390;Audio-Technica ATH-P5

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.