android
Old 08-30-2012, 12:59 AM

Lightbulb Samsung Galaxy Camera

I just recently watched the keynote for the Samsung Unpacked Event. What really interested me the most was the Samsung Galaxy Camera. It is essentially a mega zoom point and shoot camera running JB 4.1. So I was wondering if this can double as a pmp/point and shoot. It doesn't look like it has a phone app.

But downloading groove ip can easily solve this problem. Im guessing that they are going to release a wifi only version and a wifi+3g+4g version. So people with a smartphone can just tether wifi via foxfi or pdanet if they buy the wifi only version.

It has access to the Google Play Store so you can download any app.

Here are some of the specs
- 21x optical super long zoom
- 4.8" HD Super Clear LCD
- 16mp BSI CMOS Sensor
- Optical Image Stabilization
- Runs Android 4.1 JB
- wifi/3g/4g

So what do you guys think? Can this double as a pmp? Im guessing the wifi version will be priced at around $250-$300. Would you guys carry this around along with your smartphone?

Heres a link to the keynote
http://bcove.me/2ssv3k1m
or
https://www.facebook.com/SamsungMobi...66547110058162

The Samsung Galaxy Camera portion starts at 50:46

It looks like the link now leads to Samsung Unpacked 2012 Day 2 of IFA

Heres a youtube video introducing the Samsung Galaxy Camera (It is not the full intro unfortunately) If anyone else can find a link to the full keynote feel free to post it.

Last edited by lollicup04; 08-30-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-30-2012, 01:37 AM

1650 mAh battery sounds kinda piss poor for a device with a 1.4 GHz quad core processor, plus there was NO mention of a headphone jack.

On the good side it does officially support SDXC which means the massively huge 128 GB cards coming to the market now and eventually up to 2 TB (if my memory serves me correctly) storage capacities, if I was in the market for a nice camera then maybe but I don't do enough to justify this, I do hope they realized it would NEED to be a user swappable battery at that size.

Serious lack of info in that presentation, and can we please fire the guy who chose when to switch camera views, because when we should of been looking at the screen we were looking at the guy fumble the camera in his hands.

Edit: went a little further in the video and now samsung is starting to look like apple to me (which pisses me off), look at us we're "revolutionary" we made a netbook pc with a detachable keyboard so it turns into a tablet, lets completely ignore the FACT that the ASUS transformer tablet has a keyboard dock that effectively turns the tablet into a netbook, so because we are marketing it in the reverse of how ASUS did it we're "revolutionary"

Last edited by Daniel644; 08-30-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 AM

My question is: Does the camera actually write to the external card? I'm no expert but, so far, I've heard that no versions of Android can write to an external storage card.

Lack of either a headphone jack or microphone would definitely be a dealbreaker, for me. I want a camera that can replace my SGP.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustusG View Post
My question is: Does the camera actually write to the external card? I'm no expert but, so far, I've heard that no versions of Android can write to an external storage card.

Lack of either a headphone jack or microphone would definitely be a dealbreaker, for me. I want a camera that can replace my SGP.
My Motorola Atrix 4G phone is running Gingerbread 2.3.6, not even rooted, and I was able to set the native camera app to save all its pictures to the external card. I never tried to do that with my SGP, though.

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 08-30-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: correcting typo

Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:

I have no idea where you heard that, but I can tell you its a lie, both my SGP 4.0 and my RAZR Maxx are set to save by default to the external sd.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
There is a headphone jack on the top right side of the camera (camera facing away from you)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (5.8 KB, 8 views)

Old 08-30-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:

the option to save to the external sd card is right there in the settings of the native camera app on the sgp 5.0
i have mine set to save photos and videos on the sd card.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:21 PM

Ah but do the pics TRULY end up there - do you see them on the card when examining the card's contents on your computer's desktop?

Good to know about the headphone jack. Hopefully the camera has a microphone too. Then it could very well be a replacement for the SGP (if the battery is strong enough to make using the camera worthwhile).

Old 08-30-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Ah but do the pics TRULY end up there - do you see them on the card when examining the card's contents on your computer's desktop?

Good to know about the headphone jack. Hopefully the camera has a microphone too. Then it could very well be a replacement for the SGP (if the battery is strong enough to make using the camera worthwhile).
Ya the pics are right there on the card and you can look at them on the pc along with all other files on the card

Old 08-30-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:

YES, pictures always show up on the microSD card when connected to the computer, I'm telling you some Apple fanboy lied to you to try to steer you away from the greatness of android.

battery is only 1650 mAh, so rather weak IMO for a digital camera/pmp with a QUAD core processor, especially once you start taking video.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
battery is only 1650 mAh, so rather weak IMO for a digital camera/pmp with a QUAD core processor, especially once you start taking video.
Thats what extra batteries are for

Old 08-30-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicup04 View Post
Thats what extra batteries are for

But does it have a swappable battery? they never said in the video, just another example of how bad that demo was.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
But does it have a swappable battery? they never said in the video, just another example of how bad that demo was.
Why is there a battery door at the bottom of the camera if the battery is not swappable?

Last edited by lollicup04; 08-31-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:13 AM

Heres a link to the Samsung Galaxy Camera on Samsung's website

http://www.samsung.com/in/promotions...amera_20120830

Old 08-31-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Heres a link to the Samsung Galaxy Camera on Samsung's website

http://www.samsung.com/in/promotions...amera_20120830
thanks for the link, I couldn't see the battery door in the VIDEO which was all you had given in the first post, and the video was crap TBH.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:56 PM

the camera has 8Gb of internal memory, and can take external memory also. However, the camera will upload each picture taken to the cloud straight away, via 3G or 4G which is great if your camera was stolen later as you have the shots already safe.
The camera does have replaceable batteries, but it will charge it internally, not on a seperate unit. It will probably use micro USB, the same as all it's new cameras.
It does have a built in mic as it records HD video. Uk price is expected to be 400 (and no schneider lens, shocking!), top whack for a top of the line camera.
can't see it working as a pmp though.
link
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...-at-ifa-update

cant wait to see how it does when I get it at my shop!

marcel

Old 09-01-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel f View Post
The camera does have replaceable batteries, but it will charge it internally, not on a seperate unit. It will probably use micro USB, the same as all it's new cameras.
marcel
Thats what third party accessories are for if the manufacturer decides not to make a external battery charger.
How do you know that there will be no external battery charger?

Old 09-01-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Thats what third party accessories are for if the manufacturer decides not to make a external battery charger.
How do you know that there will be no external battery charger?
Most new cameras charge with the battery in the camera. The manufacturer does NOT provide an external battery charger in the box with the new camera. Usually, you can buy an external battery charger as an accessory. There is a price war going on in camera sales. By leaving out the external charger, the manufacturer can offer the camera at a lower price. BUT, charging the battery in the camera is much slower than charging it in an external charger. Also, without an external charger it is inconvenient to charge a spare battery. In the end, leaving out the external charger is a cheap shortcut taken by the manufacurer than hurts the consumer.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:55 PM

After looking over Samsung's gallery, the only thing which looks to me like it could be a headphone jack, happens to be located at the top of portrait mode orientation. As someone who's unsatisfied with that aspect of the SGP 4.0, I really hope they relocate the headphone jack to the opposite end of this device.
http://www.samsung.com/in/promotions...a_white_14.jpg
http://www.samsung.com/in/promotions...a_white_17.jpg

I'd be grateful if someone, visiting IFA or having any other connection, would convey that to relevant Samsung reps.

Last edited by AugustusG; 09-01-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:26 PM

Question Better Start Saving Up

According to this website
http://www.t3.com/news/samsung-galax...d-at-pound-399

The camera will come in
- wifi and 3g model
or
- wifi and 4g model

It will go on sale in the UK in October

I really hope that Samsung decides to release a wifi only model and price it around $250-$350

The price of the camera is expensive at 399 which is around $633. Which was expected. On contract the price of the camera will probably be brought down closer to $200.
For this price you can buy a good dslr camera that will take much better pictures.

I know this sounds stupid but there will probably be unlocked Samsung Galaxy Cameras being sold online if a wifi only version isn't made. So you are essentially buying a SGS3 without calling features, with a bigger footprint, a smaller battery and a better camera