android
Old 11-21-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
It seems to be a copy of that piece-of-shit "Altman Tera Player". At least THIS one will play other formats besides WAV.
Have you tried this, it is bass, this is also rather nice although a league apart as you may guess.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-25-2012, 10:12 PM

Default pleasantly surprised

I recently bought one of these as I liked the idea of a minimalist design. It does sound really good. By way of comparison I also have a Cowon X7, a recent Sony (can't remember the model number but it has 64GB of memory if that helps) and a Sansa Disk Clip. In my opinion the hippo sounds better than all of them. Wonderfully clean and detailed.
The lack of a screen doesn't bother me but the lack of any shuffle play does. Like a few others I hope they might provide this in the future via some sort of firmware upgrade. And a way to turn off the flashing green light!
But then I never intended to use this to play anything like all of the music I own. I've used a few 2GB SD cards and simply copied a 100 or so of my favourite tracks onto them just in 1 folder. Perfectly fine for use in the gym and the odd commute where I find the Cowon, especially is really just too big.
Rightly or wrongly, when I ripped all my music a year or two ago I decided on MP3s at 320Kb. I have ripped a couple of albums to WAV format just for comparison and have to say I can hear no difference at all. I'm listening mainly though a pair of Sennheiser PX200s.
On a different note I do wonder why it's called a hippo. Isn't the hippo the most dangerous animal in the jungle? This little sweetie wouldn't hurt a fly.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hippo is the brand,...

Old 12-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstanley View Post
I recently bought one of these as I liked the idea of a minimalist design. It does sound really good. By way of comparison I also have a Cowon X7, a recent Sony (can't remember the model number but it has 64GB of memory if that helps) and a Sansa Disk Clip. In my opinion the hippo sounds better than all of them. Wonderfully clean and detailed.
Now there's an endorsement of sound quality I truly believe. "I have no idea what I was testing it against but this one sounded better"

If you're going to make a statement about how something sounds it works better if you are able to back it up with more than a vague statement like that. Saying it the way you did it makes it clear you made no effort to level match the volumes and listen.

A relatively small difference in volume levels leaves you with no idea which is actually performing better. Saying that you don't know which player you were comparing it to makes what you say about sound quality meaningless to anyone but you.

It could be be putting out the music of the spheres accompanied by choruses of angels and it still wouldn't be worth me laying out a cent for it. Screenless, no shuffle or any other means of navigating except skip to the next song, and only available as part of a package I'm finding for ~$140 makes this a total fail in my book.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:29 AM

Thanks for the friendly welcome.
I just thought people might be interested in a general overview of how I found the sound of the player. I didn't realize a full spectrum analysis and serial number was required. I guess you won't be buying one then?
I think I'll just get on with my life now.