android
Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Default No cheap screen protectors?

Hmm I was looking to get a cheap screen protector for galaxy player 5.0 and there are not cheap ones on amazon . Usually there are some cheap generic ones that cost like $1 for three or something but I can't find one for galaxy player. The screen covers I bought for my phone and psp were like $1 for 3 + a cloth but the cheapest I see for galaxy player is like $6.. I don't want to pay $6 for a screen protector.. even the ipod touch got screen covers for like 60 cents. Anyone know where I can get a cheap one... I don't really care about quality, all screen covers seem the same for me.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 PM

These things have hardened glass and to scratch hardened glass takes a lot more force than a screen protector can help with. Anything that can scratch these screens will go through a screen protector like butter.

Barry

Old 10-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Redneck Moderator

Barryem yet again spreads false information. Yes gorilla glass is strong and scratch resistant. But it wont hold up against everyday pocket abuse. You should put a screen protector on, even some of the cheapest will work as long as the adheasive is strong enough to hold and prevent dirt from getting trapped under it.

I personally use 3M clear bra it is expensive but it holds up very very wekl.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 10-06-2012, 07:44 PM

I dont know if it is exactly false information. I think barry is correct. I saw a video of a guy taking knives, razor blades and keys to the screen and it didnt even leave a mark. Barrys info has always been true. I dont get why you say yet again spreading false information. Lets wait to hear barrys defense.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:48 PM

Gorilla Glass is still only scratch resistant and not scratch proof, if you need to wait for Barry why not google search in the mean time. Sure they make it look great on that video but that's what helps sell it ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-06-2012, 07:55 PM

I dont need to wait for barry or google anything.I to have screen protector as think without it the screen WOULD get scuffed up. I am just saying I dont think the guy is neccesarily spreading false information.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:08 PM

I've dropped my SGP 4.0 on pavement while running downhill on my asphalt driveway. The SGP ending up sliding on the screen for approximately 5 feet (I don't remember exactly how far though). The screen sustained a few 2mm-3mm scratches that can be felt when sliding your fingernail along it. That's really not too bad but, I'm still definitely going to use a screen protector on my next pocket device that has a screen. It will help.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosko View Post
I dont need to wait for barry or google anything.I to have screen protector as think without it the screen WOULD get scuffed up. I am just saying I dont think the guy is neccesarily spreading false information.
I agree that he might be misinformed, although it is bad information or would you call posting "These things have hardened glass and to scratch hardened glass takes a lot more force than a screen protector can help with. Anything that can scratch these screens will go through a screen protector like butter." speaking the truth?

I recommended google because you can read all over the net about people that have gotten scratches by putting device in their pocket, setting it face down on a table, on and on ... and many of them claim they have the new gorilla glass 2. While I don't use screen protectors on all my devices, I know the risks and convincing others via a post that a screen protector does not help is false information or spreading false information any way you look at it.

Edit: BTW you did say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosko View Post
... Lets wait to hear barrys defense.
not me

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 10-06-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Administrator

You don't need to go far for more info on this. There's been a number of threads on this right here. My answer from an earlier thread will bring some surprising results http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...21&postcount=9 For more just search her using the term "mohs"

BTW, there's a fair chance the video you're talking about is the one by our very own Enzo. http://anythingbutipod.com/2009/04/g...cale/#more-933 While it was controversial then our members experience has shown it was both right and wrong. Gorilla Glass will turn a knife blade. It will still get scratched with a grain of sand in your pocket.

I personally don't use cases but I always use screen protectors. A scratched up case doesn't bother me, scratches on the screen do.