android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 05-08-2012, 11:55 AM

Default Recording: Can an external mic be plugged into the headphone out?

I've seen reports online of folks using the headphone jack on Android phones as an external microphone input. (for audio recording)
I've been using the amazing Tape Machine app on my SGP5.0 and while it does a good job with the on-board mic, it will be even better with a good external dynamic mic (Shure SM57 or 58).

The post reported use of an XLR to TTRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve) adapter.
Here's one:
http://www.kvconnection.com/product-...phone-xtrs.htm
This one has the added 3.5mm female jack so you can monitor/listen to playback through earphones as well.

iPods have this TRRS configuration of the 3.5mm plug/jack and the post reported that these ipod/iPhone connectors work with some android phones/devices. I've lost the link to the post, unfortunately. S/he discusses the fact that the TRRS plug (with the extra conductor) is used for headphones that have a microphone...so the system is pushing audio out to earphones and mic input is going back in.

Many android devices do not have the TRRS configuration. The Galaxy Player has a TRS headphone jack.There are some devices which are compatible with this TRRS system. The post to the connector/adapter above does NOT include any Samsung devices on the list of compatible devices.

Does anyone know how this might work out, or point me in the right direction before I spend the $40 on the connector?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-08-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
Many android devices do not have the TRRS configuration. The Galaxy Player has a TRS headphone jack.
...but the headphones that come with all SGP devices have an embedded mic/pause button and a third ring on the connector. Apple does some additional stuff with volume control but wouldn't that mean the Galaxy Players are using TRRS or is that something different?

Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM

The headphones that come with the SGP have a microphone and when plugged in you can use that microphone to record, give voice commands, etc. An external mic would have to make contact with just that section of the socket that is wired for the microphone. The best thing to do is use the mic that comes with the SGP. I have used this on my SGP 5 and it works nicely - especailly when making VOIP phone calls with Groove IP. Other headphones with just a mic connection on the plug may also work. I do not know if that sleeve will work. I do know that the Iphone/touch/pad has a very different headphone connection from the SGP.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 PM

The SGP5 has a TRRS connector, so it probably would work the same as the others.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 AM

Sideman..thanks. I can seen that normal earbuds I use with the SGP have only the TRS plug. And I know that the device has capability to use that headset with mic. so it makes sense that the JACK is TRRS.

On one of the boards, someone took a headphone with mic setup and chopped it to make a adapter for inputting an XLR/low-Z external mic. I'm going to try the adapter and see what happens. I'll report back, although it might take a couple of weeks.

By the way, if any of you have any interest in recording, whether musicians recording practice sessions or recording your kids or live music events, the Tape MAchine app is really quite a nice piece of software. The Autp Gain works particularly well, but there's manual gain adjustment too, Plus you can record to FLAC, Ogg, mp3 at various bitrates, WAV and AIFF formats. Plus it has on-board editing "Audacity style".

I'll be totally pumped when Android supports stereo line and mic level inputs!!!

Old 03-31-2013, 11:09 PM

I have a Huawei Prism phone and the internal microphone is terrible! However, I'm pretty sure that the headphone jack is TRS. Is there a 3.5 TRS to TRRS adapter available? Thanks.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79adam79 View Post
I have a Huawei Prism phone and the internal microphone is terrible! However, I'm pretty sure that the headphone jack is TRS. Is there a 3.5 TRS to TRRS adapter available? Thanks.
I was just searching and found this adapter: http://www.kvconnection.com/product-...htm?click=4101

It's a 3.5 TRS to TRRS adapter. Will this work with my Prism, or just for iPhone? Also, if anyone knows of a cheaper adapter of this type, please let me know. Thanks again.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
I've been using the amazing Tape Machine app on my SGP5.0
You might like the Audio Evolution Mobile app. It is a real DAW with multi-track recording, multiple realtime effects, volume/pan automation, mixdown to a master, etc. I have been using it for about a month now and it seems quite solid. It has the ability to select from several microphone sources within the audio chain and I selected one that eliminates the auto-level circuitry in the SGP5 and it sounds quite good and doesn't pick up background noise.