android
Old 10-19-2012, 07:47 PM

Default Transfer MP3s to SGP?

Hello folks. I'm new here. I've been frustated in trying to transfer MP3 albums to my new Samsung Galaxy Player 3.6. I am a reasonably knowledgable computer user but am a total newbie with handheld iPod type devices. So please be gentle. I bought this almost entirely for its use as an MP3 player and am interested in transferring albums from my CD collection. I had no problem in ripping a few sample albums to MP3 and they are sitting on my computer and play well. It ends there. I read something about cut and paste but when I plug in the Player to my computer with its USB end (which interestingly says MP3 on this end of the cable), I find no information on my computer that it recognizes the Player. What pisses me off mostly is that nowhere on the Samsung 200 page Users Manual does it even mention transferring music to the Player (It is called the Player - right?) I searched the web extensively but all that I found were exchanges between more sophisticated techies. So I would be grateful if someone could lead me through this.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-20-2012, 12:51 AM

OK well you have a few choices depending on certain things,

Choice #1 - (this assumes your using a MicroSD to hold your music and your computer isn't a piece of crap that doesn't have a card reader) insert MicroSD card into micro to full size SD adapter and put it in your computer, open the SD card up like you would a "flash" or "jump" drive and if there isn't one create a folder called MUSIC (all caps like that) and copy and paste the MP3's (folders and all) from where they are on your computer to the microSD card and then reinsert into player.

Choice #2 - (the way it should work, assuming the 3.6 is like the 4.0) (if USB debugging is enabled on player disable now) Plug player to computer with USB cable (you should see a USB connected notification on the player's screen at the top), pull down notification bar and you should see one that says "USB Connected select to copy files to/from your computer", click that, you should now have a screen with the android bot with a usb plug for a hand (this may vary) at the bottom of that screen will be a button that says "Connect storage to PC", click it and wait, the first time may take a minute while it installs drivers then both the internal storage and microSD card (if in player) will show up like "jump" drives on the PC and at this point you can copy and paste like before or you can use WMP or Winamp or several other programs on your PC depending on your setup to copy the music.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:20 AM

More information about your computer and its' operating system would be useful. If you want a specific answer, you must provide specific information.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:46 PM

Thank you for your responses.
Zapp - I am using a Dell XPS One with Windows 7

Daniel- I tried Choice #2 and I couldn't get it going. I mounted and formatted my SD card and disabled USB debugging. When I connected the player to my computer with the USB cable (with Media Player as my USB setting), I did not get any USB connection notification on my Player. So, that's as far as it went for me. (Your suggestions are in line with the Users' Manual, pp. 103-104, which I missed before.)
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...ual_LB5_F4.pdf

I am still interested in exploring Choice #1. My computer has a card reader slot but I don't yet have an adaptor that will hold multiple type cards. (I will need this anyway to read other media such as photos and videos from my camera. It seems like a fussy way to go, with having to pull out the SD card everytime I want to transfer files, so I am still hopeful of trying to get Choice 2 working.

My card inserted into the Player is a SanDisk 32 GB micro SDHC flash memory card (SDSQ-O32G-AFFP). Any recommendation for a card reader? I read somewhere that some readers will not read high memory cards, such as my 32GB.
I was thinking of the Kingston 19-in-1 USB 2.0 Flash Memory Card Reader FCR-HS219/1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...o_cart_title_2

Old 10-20-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryV View Post
Thank you for your responses.
Zapp - I am using a Dell XPS One with Windows 7

Daniel- I tried Choice #2 and I couldn't get it going. I mounted and formatted my SD card and disabled USB debugging. When I connected the player to my computer with the USB cable (with Media Player as my USB setting), I did not get any USB connection notification on my Player. So, that's as far as it went for me. (Your suggestions are in line with the Users' Manual, pp. 103-104, which I missed before.)
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...ual_LB5_F4.pdf

I am still interested in exploring Choice #1. My computer has a card reader slot but I don't yet have an adaptor that will hold multiple type cards. (I will need this anyway to read other media such as photos and videos from my camera. It seems like a fussy way to go, with having to pull out the SD card everytime I want to transfer files, so I am still hopeful of trying to get Choice 2 working.

My card inserted into the Player is a SanDisk 32 GB micro SDHC flash memory card (SDSQ-O32G-AFFP). Any recommendation for a card reader? I read somewhere that some readers will not read high memory cards, such as my 32GB.
I was thinking of the Kingston 19-in-1 USB 2.0 Flash Memory Card Reader FCR-HS219/1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...o_cart_title_2
If your computer already has a card reader then it will read regular sized SD cards (as it is the most common one) and all you need is the piece on the left in this photo that you slide the microSD into.

As to your concern regarding whether a reader will work or not just make sure it supports SDHC, older (more then about 3 years) only supported SD.

Also, don't use "Media Player" as the connection type, use "Mass Storage".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0720.jpg (47.4 KB, 3 views)

Old 10-21-2012, 04:47 PM

Check the connectivity....?

Network > USB connectivity > media storage (as opposed to Kies connectivity etc)

Old 10-21-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotto View Post
Check the connectivity....?

Network > USB connectivity > media storage (as opposed to Kies connectivity etc)
dude, there's no such mode as "Media Storage", the 3 choices are "Samsung Keis", "Media Player" and "Mass Storage". If you had read all the posts you would see the OP had stated to be in "media player" and I told them to set it to "mass storage" already.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:07 AM

Insert your micro sd card into the SGP. Format the card. Set usb to mass storage, make sure you plug in the player to a usb port on the back of your computer. I have found that my SGP 3.6 did not work when I plugged it into the front of my computer case, only the back. I assume maybe the front ports don't offer as much power for the SGP for some reason. Your computer may be the same. When you plug it in, 2 drives should come up. One for internal memory and one for the external memory (which is the sd card). You can then drag and drop files to those drives just as you would a flash drive. To rip cds you can use the deafult media player in Windows 7. Make sure you set the rip codec to Mp3. Unless you change it the music will be ripped to your music folder. You can just go to that folder and drag files to your SGP. Hope that helps.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:17 PM

Thank you all for your inputs but it appears as though the problem may have been with the SGP. I spent some phone time with a person from the Samsung HelpDesk and we went through everything, step by step. The key issue was that the SGP does not come up on my computer monitor when I plugged the SGP cable into a USB slot on my computer. It turns out that I had been doing everything correctly, as I was led through the procedure again by the man from Samsung, but still no success. As a final resort, he suggested that it would work if I reset the SGP to its original factory settings. But it still did not work when I retraced the steps after this. So it seems that I had a clunker, which I returned to Amazon. (By the way, in the settings for transfer from the SGP, the Samsung User Manual tells you to use "Media Player" for the USB setting, but apparently "Mass Storage" will work as well for this.)

I sent the unit back before I had a chance to see dby2011's suggestion to plug the USB end of the cable into a slot on the back of the computer. So I don't know whether this might have helped. By the way, my Dell XPS One Computer does not have a classic CPU box with a separate monitor. It looks like a simple monitor on a pedistal, with all the computer guts within the monitor. So, everything needs to be plugged into the super Monitor.

My plans are to pick up a new unit at Best Buy. Same price as Amazon but it helps to be able to go back to talk to one of the knowledgable and friendly salespeople. Also, I think I will step up to the 4.0 Player. I wanted to get something as compact as possible but the keys on the 3.6 SGP keyboard are a bit too small for my typing comfort (although they are enlarged when I view in landscape mode - but still too small for me).

Thank you all for your kind and thoughtful suggestions for trying to solve my problem.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 PM

yeah, go bigger, the 3.6 is a joke when it comes to screen size, and I remember several members having issues with it back when it came out.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM

The 3.6's screen isn't the greatest but I got it mainly for music. I have a like new SGP 3.6 with all original cables/packaging and a Riot hard shell case if your interested. All purchased from Best Buy. I'd give you a good deal JerryV.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:13 PM

This is my last shot, so I would appreciate suggestions again. I sent back my SGP 3.6 and bought a 4.2. But I am still having issues. As noted, I have ripped several CD albums to MP3.
I followed advice of Daniel644 (Choice #2 - (the way it should work, assuming the 3.6 is like the 4.0) (if USB debugging is enabled on player disable now) Plug player to computerwith USB cable (you should see a USB connected notification on the player's screen at the top), pull down notification bar and you should see one that says "USB Connected select to copy files to/from your computer", click that, you should now have a screen with the android bot with a usb plug for a hand (this may vary) at the bottom of that screen will be a button that says "Connect storage to PC", click it and wait, the first time may take a minute while it installs drivers then both the internal storage and microSD card (if in player) will show up like "jump" drives on the PC and at this point you can copy and paste like before or you can use WMP or Winamp or several other programs on your PCdepending on your setup to copy the music.” )
and
dby2011 (Insert your micro sd card into the SGP. Format the card. Set usb to mass storage, make sure you plug in the player to a usb port on the back of your computer. I have found that my SGP 3.6 did not work when I plugged it into the front of my computer case, only the back. I assume maybe the front ports don't offer as much power for the SGP for some reason. Your computer may be the same. When you plug it in, 2 drives should come up. One for internal memory and one for the external memory (which is the sd card). You can then drag and drop files to those drives just as you would a flash drive. To rip cds you can use the deafult media player in Windows 7. Make sure you set the rip codec to Mp3. Unless you change it the music will be ripped to your music folder. You can just go to that folder and drag files to your SGP. Hope that helps. )

In both cases I see the Android bot with a USB hand. When I clicked “Connect storage to PC”, the bot changes color to orange and I get the message, “USB storage in use. Before turning off USB storage, make sure you have unmounted (ejected) your Android’s USB storage from your computer.” (I’m not quite sure what that last sentence means.)
At any rate, I know (after copying and pasting) that I check out the attached Player from my computer, all of the MP3 files have been copied. But I can’t bring them up in any visible way from my Player. When I go (in my Player) to my files / external_sd / I get “Lost Directory”. So, central (and final) question is how do I locate these MP3 files on my Player to actually play them.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:03 AM

Jerry
I'm sorry you are having these issues continue with your new device. This should not, and usually IS not, a problem at all. Must be very frustrated at this point.

I always operate in Mass Storage USB mode.
When I plug in my device into USB port of a computer, I get the android bot with message "USB connected. You have connected your device to your computer via USB. Select the button below if you want to copy files between your computer and your Android's USB storage."
The button, in gray, reads "Connect storage to PC"

After a few seconds, I get the orage bot with a big USB "hand"...and the message "USB storage in use/ Before disconnecting USB storage, eject android's USB storage from computer"

This is only for when you are done withoperations and you're going to remove the SGP from USB. similar to a flash drive, you want to make sure all files are done copying before disconnecting, and the best way is to select the "Eject USB" button on your computer. Lower right status tray on windows...usually a green arrow icon.

In the meantime, the windows dialog box should pop onto your computer screen:
"Do you want to scan and fix Removable Disc (E)?
I usually hit
"Continue without Scanning"

On some machines, I then get a windows dialog box that says something to the effect "What do you want to do:
Open files, etc (various options)"

On my work machine, for some reason, i do not usually get that dialog box to pop up and I have to go and get windows explorer and manually browse for the new drives. E, F, M...whatever, and open them up that way.

Sometimes I note that I get two separate drive letters. Sometimes, however, I will get only one. And then within that drive for the SGP, you will see "external_sd". This is the microSD card. I do no know why sometimes widnows gives me the two drives as separate and sometimes I get only the sGP and have to navigate to the "external-sd".

I wish you luck. This should be an extremely effortless process.