android
Old 04-02-2014, 07:05 PM

Default E475 - Tag editing in MTP mode?

I have been searching around and I haven't found a method to do this. Apologies if this question has already been answered.

I formerly used a Creative Zen and it came with its own software which allowed me to edit the tags of songs, and also playlists, that were already on the device. After that broke I bought a Sony E475 and I like it, except for the fact that I can't find a way to edit the tags of the MP3s that are currently on it without copying them to my hard drive, tagging them with MediaGo, Winamp, MP3Tag, or what-have-you, then copying them back to the device. In order to edit a playlist, I have to create it in MediaGo out of songs on my hard drive, then add it to the player, rather than just creating it out of songs that are already on the player.

Is there any way to get around this or am I stuck having to take the copy-edit-copy path?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

The only software I know that does what you need is MusicBee. I thought Winamp could but as you say you've tried that I guess it can't. I haven't had Winamp installed for a while so my either my memory is wrong or it lost the ability to work in a MTP system somewhere along the way.

MusicBee is closed source freeware(Donations Accepted ) that does for free what most other software can't regardless of price. I like that it can be installed either full or portable and works well either way. It's also one of those music libraries that doesn't mess with your files without you telling it to. If you do make changes there's always notices and warnings before you do.

It's under continuous development and has a very active and enthusiastic user base. Bugs are reported and addressed in an open fashion. The developer, Steven Mayall, communicates regularly through the MusicBee forum.

He listens to the users and often adds or adjusts features based on their wishlist. I like that he doesn't hesitate to let users know what he can implement and what he won't.

I really only use it to manage my MTP devices like my Sony and a smartphone I have that doesn't have a MSC mode. I use it to sync and make playlists more than anything else. It can tag files on a MTP player but it's really slow. I've tried changing tags of several albums at the same time and it took a surprisingly long time. It would have been much quicker to take them off, do the tagging with foobar2000, then put them back.

That's not a fault in the software. It's the nature of MTP. The entire device has to be read each time you make a change so it can recreate the internal network it uses. Doing that for multiple files takes time.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:12 PM

Wow, looks like it actually works. Very convenient, thanks for the suggestion.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Glad it's working out. You don't mention if MTP tagging is all you need but as long as you have it installed you may want to check it's other features. I find it to be a better than decent all around library and music player. It's got any number of features I find to be useful.

I'm a long time user of foobar2000. If it had MTP support it would be all I use to manage my files and portable players. With more devices like phones being MTP only I find myself using Musicbee more often. I don't think I'll be switching any time soon but I keep playing around with the idea.