android
Old 10-11-2012, 04:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Bitrate Software?

Ok, so lets say for arguments sake that I decide through abx testing (or whatever) that i hear no difference between files at 320kbps and 192kbps.
Now.. in my music collection i have a variety of files, sum 320, sum 128, sum variable etc.
Is there software that will analyse yer entire music (explorer) folder (Artist>Album>mp3 files) and just 'downgrade' all files that are higher than 192kbps?
Ideally not necessarily overwriting them but creating a new file in identical folder manner (thus allowing to revert/keep originals/compare folder sizes).

How do people do it if not this way? One album at a time?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-11-2012, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Most decent library software like foobar2000, MusicBee or MediaMonkey will let you load your music, sort it by bitrate, then transcode it. They won't do it automatically but it shouldn't be difficult to set up.

You lose audio quality when you transcode lossy files. You may or may not hear it but it happens. I'd try it on a few files and give it a listen before you put a lot off effort into downgrading all your library.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 AM

I have been intending on doing this as well. I have mostly 320kbps mp3s from back in the day when I thought it was necessary to rip them at that ridiculous bit rate and I'd like to transcode them to V2 while I find or re-rip flac versions for archiving, etc. This is actually a project I've been working on for some time now, and I'd say I'm about halfway done with it.
I have transcoded mp3s and listened to them before to try to spot artifacts, and I could hear none. I have the feeling that you'd have to transcode them a couple of times before it would become obvious, but who knows. I'm not too worried about it.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 AM
ABI Invaluable

I’d just leave them alone and start ripping to FLAC and use those archives to transcode to whatever bit rate you need for on the go. That way you don’t lose any quality and you always have the archives to listen at home or to change to what ever you please. While it’s a huge undertaking if you’ve already ripped a lot of music, sooner or later you’ll have to deal with it if you stay in this hobby …

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I’d just leave them alone and start ripping to FLAC and use those archives to transcode to whatever bit rate you need for on the go.
That has been my process thus far. I just don't have access to a lot of the albums I previously ripped to 320kbps before (most were borrowed from friends). I have re-ripped most of my CDs to flac already, except for a few that won't rip properly in EAC due to scratches.
Guess I should do a proper ABX after looking at your link, considering mp3s performed the worst out of all of the lossy formats.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningistheday View Post
That has been my process thus far.
While it's a PITA, certainly worth the effort in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningistheday View Post
I just don't have access to a lot of the albums I previously ripped to 320kbps before (most were borrowed from friends).
Call me crazy but when I did this w/friends CDs only, I would also rip an archive CD as well Not sure if this will help you but I've been able to find a great deal of very good CDs at my local library and checking them out is free.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I actually gave my entire cd collection to my brother in law before moving permanently from Scotland to Oz. Its been awhile since I actually paid for music, I often dl digital copies first to see if i like, then buy if i like at a later date.
So basically if i'm hearing this right it goes a bit like this; the more u 'transcode' a file (eg. take it from 320kbps>260>192>160) u really stuff it up, it's way better to do one drop of say 320>160 than multiple drops?

So it seems there is no program that might be able to analyse folders and subfolders and transcode only those it finds higher than what i select (say 160kbps)?

So my best bet is to go hunting and dling for 320kbps files of stuff i already have (hoping the 320kbps is a rip or bought i.e not been transcoded already a number of times etc) and then transcode that file just the once?

PS to prove i'm not a naughty criminal i'll show you my limited edition Hybrid Classics box set that i paid over $100AUD for a month ago lol (478/500)

Old 10-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Administrator

There's nothing I know that's designed to analyze then convert files of a particular quality setting. You could make a playlist in foobar2000 or another software by turning on the bitrate column then choosing those that fit your criteria. Highlight those files and save them as a playlist. You could then load that playlist and convert that fairly easily.

I'd be sure to add a tag that lets you know it's been transcoded so they don't get mixed in with the originals. When I've done it in the past I changed the Album name to "<Album Name> - redone".

Another member ran into a space problem a while back. That thread is here.http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=66585 There's links to a few alternatives for software to down convert there. Down converting has it's drawbacks but in that case there wasn't any other good option. Like I said there, a transcoded file that doesn't sound quite as good as the original beats not having the file at all.

There's no set guidelines for transcoding I've ever seen. The usual advice is just "don't do it". I do know if you decide to transcode it's going to be best to do it in a single shot. The more times you transcode a file the more of the original information is lost. The encoder doesn't know it's working with only part of the original info and discards what shouldn't be audible.

That works just fine when all the original information is included in the original file. When part of it's missing the results can be unpredictable.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
So my best bet is to go hunting and dling for 320kbps files of stuff i already have (hoping the 320kbps is a rip or bought i.e not been transcoded already a number of times etc) and then transcode that file just the once?
Your best bet is to leave the files as they are, do some ABX tests, and encode MP3s from CDs at a quality setting that you determined works out best for you from those ABX tests. You may, however, first want to encode your CDs to FLAC.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I can't rip from my cd's anymore as they're 12,000 miles away :'(
FYI I do intend to do abx testing, i just want to know the next step after i am convinced that i don't need 320kbps files anymore.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
While it's a PITA, certainly worth the effort in the long run.

Call me crazy but when I did this w/friends CDs only, I would also rip an archive CD as well Not sure if this will help you but I've been able to find a great deal of very good CDs at my local library and checking them out is free.
+1, I do this all the time. If I have a lower quality copy of something I legally own, I check to see if it's in the library. If so, then I order the CD.

Sometimes the CDs are at the point of no return, but most of the time I get a successful rip. After I've verified my rip, I return the library CD .

I saved a couple of 128FhG albums doing this lol.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 10-11-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I can't rip from my cd's anymore as they're 12,000 miles away :'(
I meant the new CDs that you have with you in Australia.
Quote:
FYI I do intend to do abx testing, i just want to know the next step after i am convinced that i don't need 320kbps files anymore.
Why not just buy a larger-capacity MP3 player or card?

Old 10-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
I meant the new CDs that you have with you in Australia.
Which accounts about 2% of my collection lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Why not just buy a larger-capacity MP3 player or card?
Lol i did, i got a C2 this week. I wrote some of my first impressions about it in the C2 subforum.

I've said this before so i'll say it again briefly. My entire collection stands at 54gb, and i have a 'best of' at around 13-14gb. It's been like that for awhile with just adding a few new tracks here and there. It's only been recently that i have seemed to of come across new music I like and now that 16gb threshold is being threatened.

Either i try to compress what i have down to free a couple of gigs, or admit defeat and move across to the C2 permanently.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Once again, there's no real guidelines for what you want to do. I'm not saying do it or not, just that it's up to you to make the decisions on what settings to use if you decide to transcode the files.

I've transcoded files in the past and the results were so uneven I decided to leave it alone. ABX testing really didn't help much. The results with one file might be acceptable and the next song from the same album sounded like crap.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:41 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
... Either i try to compress what i have down to free a couple of gigs, or admit defeat and move across to the C2 permanently.
So what will you do when your collection exceeds 100GB's or 200GB's There's no reason you have to carry all your tunes with you all the time. As earlier said, I'd live with them as is, better than loosing quality in some of the files. Back when I was using the 2GB Clip v1 (no expansion) I had to change out tunes every other day and that was fine. Basically I did the same with the i9, sure it can be a PITA but normally I did it when I connected to charge so I killed 2 birds with one stone

Edit: yea I know down the road we'll have huge capacity in DAPs, but the way we're going they'll probably be phones :/

Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I agree w/WalkGood...just change out your songs. Or buy a 32GB microSD card, they're really cheap these days .

A while ago I made the mistake of lossy transcoding. The files sounded terrible, I will never make that mistake again.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 10-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
I actually gave my entire cd collection to my brother in law before moving permanently from Scotland to Oz.
I don't want to pry but being you gave your entire set to your brother why don't you ask him to encode some for you? I bet he would be happy to return the favor.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
I don't want to pry but being you gave your entire set to your brother why don't you ask him to encode some for you? I bet he would be happy to return the favor.
Not a bad idea!

Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I've transcoded files in the past and the results were so uneven I decided to leave it alone. ABX testing really didn't help much. The results with one file might be acceptable and the next song from the same album sounded like crap.
hmm... yeh kinda worried about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Or buy a 32GB microSD card, they're really cheap these days .
I actually have a 16 and 32gb card not being used, one of the motivating reasons for buying the C2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Yeh not gonna happen, that's alot of work and he's not that pc wise and a very busy man. I would rather seek to redownload (illegally) highest rate qualities I could find than put him through that sodden task.

But... i spent the day at work thinking about it (whilst rocking to my i9 lol), I should just take the plunge with the C2 and move across and leave the i9 behind (and transcoding). I would have (immediately) 36gb storage (32gb card +4gb internal) which is HEAPS for my 'best of' methodology/collection.

My Best Of collection stands at 14gb (4-5 star rated tracks), I could add the 3 star songs to my collection also to beef things up and still have heaps of space for new stuff. And as we all know listening to 3 star rated songs enough usually increases them in rating hehehe.

I just have to put up with the C2 not quite being perfect (and i know there's no such thing as perfect anyway) and accept the trade off (the things i loved about the i9 not being in the c2).

FYI i9 is the closest thing I have come to being the perfect player, if it had a microsd card or 32gb flavours I'd be in cloud 9.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:47 AM

Quote:
I’d just leave them alone and start ripping to FLAC and use those archives to transcode to whatever bit rate you need for on the go. That way you don’t lose any quality and you always have the archives to listen at home or to change to what ever you please. While it’s a huge undertaking if you’ve already ripped a lot of music, sooner or later you’ll have to deal with it if you stay in this hobby …
That's the reason (to have a lossless archive and the ability to transcode when needed) I've been re-ripping my entire collection to FLAC. Once I finish with a majority of my collection (the songs that I want access to), I'm going to do some ABX testing to determine which encoder settings will produce files where I consistently can't tell the difference between the lossless and lossy version of the same song.

A related question: when choosing MP3 encoders is there any advantage of LAME over FhG when encoding using high bitrates (over 192kbps)?
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro