android
Old 10-12-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
A related question: when choosing MP3 encoders is there any advantage of LAME over FhG when encoding using high bitrates (over 192kbps)?
For sound quality? No. http://listening-tests.hydrogenaudio...-1/results.htm.
LAME is, however, still the recommended MP3 encoder at Hydrogenaudio. http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good choice, BruceBanner.

@CDMP3PlayerFan, Enigmatic is right, there isn't much SQ improvement. However, you can still create smaller files with LAME so that's why I use it.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 10-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Unless something has changed with the FhG encoder the files it creates won't play without gaps. I don't know if that still holds true, I haven't used a FhG encoder in a couple of years.

The only one I have available is part of WMP. They don't make sticks big enough to beat me into using that for ripping.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
A related question: when choosing MP3 encoders is there any advantage of LAME over FhG when encoding using high bitrates (over 192kbps)?
Gapless, probably a lot less likely to screw up on difficult samples then fhg.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Unless something has changed with the FhG encoder the files it creates won't play without gaps. I don't know if that still holds true, I haven't used a FhG encoder in a couple of years.

The only one I have available is part of WMP. They don't make sticks big enough to beat me into using that for ripping.
I don't even have WMP installed anymore lol.

Retired Devices:

Old 10-12-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
For sound quality? No. http://listening-tests.hydrogenaudio...-1/results.htm.
LAME is, however, still the recommended MP3 encoder at Hydrogenaudio. http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Good choice, BruceBanner.

@CDMP3PlayerFan, Enigmatic is right, there isn't much SQ improvement. However, you can still create smaller files with LAME so that's why I use it.
Thanks for the feedback. I've done websurfing for information on this topic, and I come across very little information that is newer than that on the above Hydrogenaudio pages. The general gist I've gotten about FhG is that it's a good encoder but LAME is better, especially at lower bitrates.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 10-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
I don't even have WMP installed anymore lol.
Mine is only there as a video player....and it's fine for that.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Mine is only there as a video player....and it's fine for that.
True, it works fine as a video player. But now I mainly use VLC for videos, as I've gotten used to it on school computers, it's actually pretty nice.

Retired Devices:

Old 10-12-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:

I only use Windows Media Player for playing videos. As far as FhG encoders, I think that Media Go uses it (I've found no indicators in files ripped with Media Go via Foobar2000 that it uses LAME). I used it to transcode some songs from FLAC to MP3 at 320kbps when it put them on my player and they sounded pretty good to my ears, but I haven't done an ABX test against the FLAC original on them.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 10-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Administrator

If you want a hint as to which encoder Media Go uses you can try Mr.Question Man http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=5. It probably won't to tell exactly which codec is being used but it should be able to let you know if it's LAME or not.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:11 AM

I use MediaMonkey (Pro with Codec Pack) to handle all of my music needs, I think for what Bruce wants MM will do the trick. What I do is select all the files I want to convert (1 song- unlimited) go to tools and select the convert format function and from there you can select the destination of the files and the organization, plus a bunch of other useful features). It won't do it automatically unless you are transferring the files to a device (in auto conversion settings). If you guys want me to, I will write up a guide with pics and everything on how to do this.

Also I am currently re-ripping my audio CD's to flac and then having my comp transcode them to VBR MP3's for my Zen Vision m. IMO it is a worthwhile undertaking to have a nice backup of my precious CD's.

Headphones:Philips SHS5200, Phillips SHQ1000/28, Sentry FatBoy HO865, Motorola S305 BT,

Old 10-22-2012, 02:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Although I have my C2 now and with it an abundance of space (therefore not likely to do any transcoding) I would enjoy a write up/review of this process nonetheless (for future reference etc).

Old 10-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Administrator

A write up of MediaMonkey Pro would be very welcome. Most of the MM reviews I've seen are of the free version. I found the free version to be decent for most things but I'd be interested in seeing how the ripper works with the MM version of secure ripping and AccurateRip.

AccurateRip is disabled in the free version and I haven't been able to test that for myself. The results of rips I do with MediaMonkey hasn't matched the information on the disc when I've verified that using foobar2000. It would it'll be interesting to know if activating AccurateRip in the full version corrects that.

That would be a deal breaker for me if I was trying to do a one time only, make a lossless copy and never rip it again backup. I would want all the audio information accurately represented in the ripped files.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 PM

OK so I will do a write up on the transcoding process & the accurate rip process for you guys. Personally I haven't used FooBar2000 but I will look into if for the sake of comparison.

EDIT: Well it's going to take me a little while to do the write up for the Flac ripping because my CD drive just broke when I put a disk in to start the process! (Lol) So it looks like I will be ordering another one for my laptop!

Headphones:Philips SHS5200, Phillips SHQ1000/28, Sentry FatBoy HO865, Motorola S305 BT,

Last edited by Mo. FryDaddy; 10-22-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

While I don't use MM anymore, a write up about this process would be a good idea.

Retired Devices:

Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have a lifetime license for the Mediamonkey Gold version, but I've never ripped with it (or with foobar, for that matter). I'm an EAC guy.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

EAC is good but I like foobar2000 .

Retired Devices:

Old 10-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo. FryDaddy View Post
EDIT: Well it's going to take me a little while to do the write up for the Flac ripping because my CD drive just broke when I put a disk in to start the process! (Lol) So it looks like I will be ordering another one for my laptop!
Ouch! Just as you were about to create your lossless backup. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together.

TBH, I don't place all that much faith in AccurateRip. It's not that it doesn't work properly, it just doesn't work in all cases. I have a number of older discs that aren't in the database and won't verify that way.

In those cases I use the bit compare utility in foobar2000 that decodes the lossless rip and the disc, then compares the decoded audio data. If those match, whats in the ripped files is what's on the disc.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Ouch! Just as you were about to create your lossless backup. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together.

TBH, I don't place all that much faith in AccurateRip. It's not that it doesn't work properly, it just doesn't work in all cases. I have a number of older discs that aren't in the database and won't verify that way.

In those cases I use the bit compare utility in foobar2000 that decodes the lossless rip and the disc, then compares the decoded audio data. If those match, whats in the ripped files is what's on the disc.
+1, I use this when I rip to FLAC. In fact, I think you were the first person to suggest it to me .

Retired Devices: